Hackers Threaten to Take Down Steam as Summer Sale Begins

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Thread author
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
hackers-threaten-to-take-down-steam-as-summer-sale-begins.jpg
Valve officially kicked off the Steam Summer Sale on June 22, and just like every year, the gaming platform is suffering from slowdowns, with some users complaining that the service was even down completely at certain times and they couldn’t connect.

And while this is nothing unusual since the Summer Sale generates huge traffic from gamers hungry for deals on their favorite titles, hacking group CyberTeam claims they are behind the inconsistencies that users are experiencing as we speak and which started a few hours ago.

In a message posted on Twitter, the CyberTeam group said they are “attacking Steam in the test, the attacks that are occurring are not official, very soon we will attack all the servers.” Of course, it’s hard to verify these claims and the server issues that some people are hitting might be caused by the huge traffic generated by the sale.

Read more: Hackers Threaten to Take Down Steam as Summer Sale Begins

Malware Man

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Feb 2, 2013
They did the same last year, but from memory the attack never happened.

Better link @Malware Man here though. ;)

Thanks for linking me! :)

This is very interesting indeed. Hopefully the Steam servers are strong enough to handle the traffic. They should ask Google for some help ;)

I was on Steam like everyday last year looking at the deals and it was always up for me. I was even looking during my break deciding what to spend my next cheque on! :D

Maybe it might be a good thing if they attack it. I am trying to save for college for September so I don't need to take too much money out in student loans. :(

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
Another year, another group of skids ruining it for the rest of us. Give it a few months, maybe a year and hardly anyone will remember their name or their deeds. Just like the rest of them.

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Man oh man, I hope they get preoccupied with something else, that sale is one of the times of year I stock up if
steam has good offerings and this year they have quite a few goodies. My other time is the Sept. or
fall releases. They need to go flex their skillz on some of Trumps websites and leave lil ole Steam alone.
Dan, donate a bucket of VoodooShield to Valve (Steam) will ya with just 3month keys lol :p

Reactions: frogboy and SHvFl

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
As far as I know I have never had issues with the "Actual playing games" which is what matters. That's the good side of the story.
Good for you, I have been kicked several times playing COD MW2/MW3, when servers went down.
Or I had to stop playing, because of "being offline", steam achievements would not work properly.

Reactions: _CyberGhosT_

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Good for you, I have been kicked several times playing COD MW2/MW3, when servers went down.
Or I had to stop playing, because of "being offline", steam achievements would not work properly.
Don't see much of that these days here in the US, but I have friends that do in other regions of the world, I believe some countries
have better quality servers than others and in this day and age that should not be a factor.

Reactions: darko999

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.