Firefox Quantum

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
The config is live and will change anytime depending on my needs.

FF browser set with some privacy/security preferences

Not using phone for banking/internet transactions, no social apps, all apks downloaded from non-Google Play Store and no important data stored on the phone

Note - Disabled DoT and set DNS in Blokada and Adguard instead

My short review of the Huawei Mate 20X as below

Mobile - Huawei Mate 20 X - My Short Review

Last edited:

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
My list of privacy/security extensions for FF browser

a) Cookie AutoDelete
b) ClearURLs
c) uBO (Hard Mode with Decentraleyes noop rules) + some filters
d) Behavioral Keyboard Privacy
e) IDN Safe
f) Browser Plugs Fingerprint Privacy Firewall
g) Behind the Overlay
h) User-Agent Switcher and Manager
i) Trace
j) CSS Exfil Protection
k) Decentraleyes
l) Skip Redirect
m) I don’t care about cookies
n) Etag Stoppa
o) CanvasBlocker
p) Nano Defender

Last edited:
Reactions: DeepWeb

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
Love this set up a lot. How;s the impact on system resources?

~LDogg

Reactions: RXZ6Q

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Love this set up a lot. How;s the impact on system resources?

~LDogg
My balanced RAM now is about 54%. The OS and the default apps took up more than 2GB+ RAM. This is expected as each new OS will gobble up more RAM memory. Next year watch out for phones with 8/10 RAM memory.

Speed-wise it's definitely faster and surfing is smoother especially with Dark Reader for FF. I used to have slow refresh and script issue when using Dark Reader with FF in my older Samsung Note 4.

Also, indoor mobile reception is better now with the new phone.

And with that 5000mAh LiPo battery I can have always-on VPN for 2 days before the next charge.

Last edited:
Reactions: LDogg
D

Deleted member 178

Be aware that big battery doesn't forcibly means long usage. If the custom OS isn't optimized or has too many fancy effects or background processes, 5000 won't last longer than 3300.
EMUI is decent. Just disable useless stuff.

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Swipe to unlock a $800 phone is steal.
Yes, I'm aware of this issue.

In fact, I just disabled the 'Swipe to Unlock' for it served no pupose if I don't set a PIN/Password/fingerprint/facial scan

My reason for not setting is explained in my short review link above and that is to fast access the phone when my IoT devices send their notifications to my phone. I have IP cameras, video doorbell, motion detectors, smoke alarms etc at home.

Well, I just have to ensure my phone is not being used by another person or get stolen

Last edited:

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
is DNS over TLS better than always-on VPN?
DNS over TLS DoT (or DNS over HTTPS DoH) only protects your DNS queries whereas a VPN encrypts your traffic data, changes your IP address and routes the DNS queries through the VPN's DNS server

If you have an always-on VPN then it'll consume the battery power of your mobile device behind-the-scene even if you are not using the device for surfing or making any connection to the net. Its sort of on standby mode always draining your battery.

Last edited:

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Updated 7 Feb 2019

Installed Sophos Mobile Security as my main AV. Zemana to complement it.

Removed Netcraft extension as Sophos is as good as Netcraft in protecting against phishing sites when tested at phishtank and openphish. Those phishing sites that sailed through Sophos (as well as Netcraft) are either blocked by Trace or Squidblacklist filter in uBO

Disabled DoT (DNS over TLS) as it has some issue with Blokada. Use Blokada/Adguard only to block ads when watching movies. VPN always-on so no issue with DNS

Last edited:

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
To make up for the inadequate security caused by the lack of a Kill Switch when using ExpressVPN (due to Huawei EMUI not supporting the default android OS Kill Switch) I just signed up with VyprVPN for a 2-yr Premium Plan which comes with a dedicated Kill Switch and Chameleon for surfing in China for I'll be going up this coming Sunday.

I tested for leaks at ipleak.net and there's none. Also, I tested its Kill Switch and it works.

Can get 68% discount from here

ExpressVPN will be used as standby VPN until I get the Samsung 5G phone whereby ExpressVPN can make use of the default android OS Kill Switch in the Samsung phone.

The reason why I chose VyprVPN over Perfect Privacy, VPNArea and VPN.ac is because the former makes use of the default android OS Kill Switch and the latter two android apps do not work in China.

Another reason is because VyprVPN recently changed to a 'No-Log' VPN with a public audit and get great review from restoreprivacy.com below

Last edited:

Rebsat

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Apr 13, 2014
Recently I saw alot of complains regarding VyprVPN's Chameleon technology in China. They said that it hasn't worked consistently in since December. It will stop working for weeks, come back for a few days, and then stop again. They also said that they have extremely poor customer service, unreachable and unresponsive, and have made no move to compensate people who paid for a year at a time and lost months of service.

I've also read another article from their official blog:

Would you please let us know your opinion about VyprVPN in China? thanks bro.

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Recently I saw alot of complains regarding VyprVPN's Chameleon technology in China. They said that it hasn't worked consistently in since December. It will stop working for weeks, come back for a few days, and then stop again. They also said that they have extremely poor customer service, unreachable and unresponsive, and have made no move to compensate people who paid for a year at a time and lost months of service.

I've also read another article from their official blog:

Would you please let us know your opinion about VyprVPN in China? thanks bro.
Yes, VyprVPN was not working for the whole week when I was there recently. Only the first time I tried it got connected after that it's all not working. However, they do respond through email. TunnelBear VPN (Free) also didn't make it. Surfshark VPN which I live chatted with them also said their service is not working in China.

I think all of them got banned.

Luckily, I have ExpressVPN as a backup which worked quite OK when I was in China.

But VyprVPN works fine in my country with reasonbale fast speed and I'm happy for it has a workable dedicated Kill Switch on my Huawei Mate 20X which doesn't support the android OS Kill Switch.

If you'll to visit China it's best to have 2 workable VPNs. Have not tried NordVPN and AirVPN which claimed to work in China. NordVPN relies on the android OS Kill Switch whilst AirVPN uses its own dedicated 'Kill Switch' (I think it's call Network Lock or something)

Last edited:

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Just updated my Mate 20X to android 10

Now, waiting for android 11. I believe android 11 will be the last android version for the Mate 20X after which Huawei will likely to call it a day.

One discrepancy found. There's no MAC address randomization in Mate 20X although it's found in the newer Mate 30 Pro with default android 10. FI, android 10 supports MAC address randomization. I think newer phones have it

😁

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.