Battle Hardcore Battle: Kaspersky vs ESET vs Norton vs Emsisoft

Status
Not open for further replies.

advanced_skill

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Nov 11, 2014
Don't worry about budget. Focus on the product quality. I have a hard time deciding between these products because I like all of them. Also, these are some of the best products in the market.

I don't really know the exact product versions (because I haven't used them in a long time). Assume you're comparing the latest versions.

If there are a lot of features, I expect the quality of the features to be good. Choose the product based on its quality, not necessarily based on whether you like it or not.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

Online_Sword

Level 12
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 23, 2015
I think they are all top antivirus.:D
I finally vote for Norton because:
  • In my opinion, the customer service of Norton is much better than the other three.
  • Sonar (the behavior blocker of Norton) is intelligent. Users do not need to manually configure it like using a HIPS. And it is silent. I mean, it will not generate alerts frequently to disturb users.
  • The reputation-based detection of Sonar, "Download Insight", is very decent. You can even configure it to use it as a partial anti-exe:D

OokamiCreed

Level 18
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
May 8, 2015
I also have to vote for Norton. The others... I have several complaints about but still like them a lot personally. I would go for the following:

1. Norton
  2. ESET
  3. Emsisoft
  4. Kaspersky
If Norton asked me on every threat it detected instead of just the low risk ones it would be a personal favorite of mine. Currently I have no favorite and my rankings change very often due to improves or problems with a product. Based on quality, I personally believe Norton wins. Light weight, great protection, lots of customization, and allows the system to boot far faster than the other ones listed here. It also seems to have zero impact on system performance in general but the others do. Kaspersky would be a close second in performance (slightly slows down the boot and take a while for it's own UI to load but protection is loaded before login). ESET slows the boot and sometimes slows the internet (also slow UI load). Emsisoft slows everything for them most part but isn't always noticeable. Some complain about huge disk usage during update. Thing is, it uses multi-connections to speed up the download. Just use 1 instead of the default (which I think is 5). Boom. Much lower disk usage.

Note that my system reacts and performance differently with each AV than others. For performance test, you must test it on your own computer.

kiric96

Level 19
Verified
Well-known
Jul 10, 2014
kaspersky is a good choice (personally i dont like it) but based in your criteria "based on its quality, not necessarily based on whether you like it or not", after all if you set up properly the product them you would get a solid stone in security... KSN is good at catching unknown malware (however be sure to disable download rules from the cloud as they may allow PUP to run) system watch is a good plus also, as you may set up allow or deny rules from each application... in general a good choice, the counter part is that kaspersky is known to eat a lot of resources, and well i dont like the way how they deal with active malware... beside from that it is a good product.

As for ESET i do like them because every product they make is light.... it has a high detection rate plus a good cloud (which sometimes is useless) the bad point here is, when you find an unknown malware, eset would just allow it, well you have HIPS, but if you think you can deal with eset HIPS then i would suggest you to use comodo or private firewall they may give you a superior protection... good signatures, good customer support

As for norton, well recently i heard they focus on their cloud detections and being honest if you are offline you would have a bad time... Sonar may help you, but if is like playing russian roulette plus the fact they have very low detection rates in the wild, and from my personal experience i would go away from them :D

Emsisoft well, despite the fact some people claim about slowdown, me as an EAM user i may say that the product is light and simple, i like simple things, my advice is to test EAM instead of EIS, they have good signatures, good costumer support, they are a small company if you have a problem you can reach them any time, BB is excellent and well it is simple, you dont have to deal with difficult settings or something you wouldnt use as a normal user...

The point here is not the suite, the point it is you as user... do you really need all the features that kaspersky offers you? do you know how to deal with eset HIPs module? and well, that is why i choose emsisoft, they may have some bugs but after all they offer you what you need, believe me if you are a general manager at the central bank in your country then go for kaspersky, but if you are a regular user, then go for something simple, easy to understand, because there is no sense to have something you would never use or understand... by the way, do you really need a firewall? do you connect in public areas? like mall, airport or so on? chances are that you are at home most of the time and you are behind a router, the you dont need a firewall unless you usually go out.

S

Sr. Normal

Norton >Eset >Emsisoft >Karpesky

I go with Norton, which is what I enjoy now. @frogboy ;), although I must admit that Eset (its philosophy) and Emsisoft (speed) also please me.
From karpesky I can hardly speak, I installed a few months ago to try it and the truth is that my computer slowed, especially startup

From Norton I like simplicity. It is very light and only "annoyed" when has real information to give. Few FPs and really comfortable

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
As for numerous debates and testimonies, the four product mentioned have already contained unique characteristics which are strong points to balance their disadvantages.

Kaspersky = Strong product with optimize component from Firewall, Application Control and other promising components; even though limited on the latest version for Windows 10, still if everything are set it up then no more reason which came to be in top.

Emsisoft = Their protection especially BB and their own scratch Firewall makes it more interesting to use, a good look to compare from other mainstream security product.

Norton = As long you have an active connection, then their cloud should not be a hindrance where its accuracy are totally calculated to detect any files well. Sonar is kicking alive as well for bypassed of other components.

ESET = Thoroughly focus on prevention status which why it incorporates many security checks before considered to be bypass and which leave for the HIPS to decide by the user.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Focus on the product quality
Be wary of using any of these products on Windows 10, but anything from Window 8.1 to 7 SP1, should be stable enough.

Kaspersky Internet Security
- Limited protection on 64-bit systems, therefore provides a false sense of security
- Best is not always better!

Emsisoft Internet Security (limited time used)
- One of the better privacy policies
- Twin-engine AV, strong & configurable behavioural guard, in-house Firewall
- No bloatware, toolbars or other browser extensions

Norton Security
- Install and Forget
- SONAR, a powerful behaviour guard
- Smart Definitions is ON by default (may not find dormant malware)

ESET Smart Security (limited time used)
- HIPS can be talkative and must be configured

I would recommend either Emsisoft Internet Security or Norton Security. I haven't used Norton Online Backup, therefore I cannot recommend that version.
ESET Online Scanner can be used alongside any real-time Antivirus, as it's on-demand, free to use, free malware removal (with limitations).

Maxxx58

Level 13
Verified
Dec 20, 2014
Be wary of using any of these products on Windows 10, but anything from Window 8.1 to 7 SP1, should be stable enough.

Kaspersky Internet Security
- Limited protection on 64-bit systems, therefore provides a false sense of security
- Best is not always better!

Emsisoft Internet Security (limited time used)
- One of the better privacy policies
- Twin-engine AV, strong & configurable behavioural guard, in-house Firewall

Norton Security
- Install and Forget
- SONAR, a powerful behaviour guard
- Smart Definitions is ON by default (may not find dormant malware)

ESET Smart Security (limited time used)
- HIPS can be talkative and must be configured

I would recommend either Emsisoft Internet Security or Norton Security. I haven't used Norton Online Backup, therefore I cannot recommend that version.
ESET Online Scanner can be used alongside any real-time Antivirus, as it's on-demand, free to use, free malware removal (with limitations).
Could you please guide me how to configure HIPS on ESET Smart Security 8?

FleischmannTV

Level 7
Verified
Honorary Member
Well-known
Jun 12, 2014
Kaspersky offers the most complete package. With Kaspersky, in my opinion, there is no need for additional anti-exploit or system lockdown utilities. I also think Kaspersky may be the only solution of the above mentioned, which offers at least some resistance against scriptors, though this is only speculation on my part.

Online_Sword

Level 12
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 23, 2015
Keep in mind that Norton is oblivious to the majority of Scriptor malware, a class which is on the rise.

But...in your reviews, it seems that both ESET and Emsisoft also failed in the Scriptor test:p

What do you think of Kaspersky in this field?

And how could you confirm that Norton is completely oblivious to Scriptor malwares? Maybe the IPS module of Norton can block some of them in downloading...Maybe the Download Insight (DI) module of Notron can kill some of them after downloading...Or you have confirmed that any scriptor malwares could bypass IPS, DI, and Sonar?:)

SloppyMcFloppy

Level 13
Verified
Sep 12, 2015
Emsisoft Internet Security - Dual scan engines, install and forget, really good web prevention and file detection and good behavior blocker and pretty good memory usage.

ESET - Zero day protection is nowhere near Emsisoft BB, file detection is really good, too many settings, and decent web prevention, and good memory usage

Kaspersky - Zero day protection is better than ESET, Too many settings as ESET, good web and file prevention and moderate memory usage.

Norton - web and file detection is horrible, and SONAR is somewhat decent enough, not recommend for offline user.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
not recommend for offline user.
How many users will be using these products for offline use?

Perhaps developing countries, where Internet is limited or still being introduced, but I don't think people would use these products in the first place.

Norton uses Smart Definitions (on by default) which may not flag older dormant malware. When I tried Norton Security, SONAR did a good job at detecting files missed by the scanner.

Reactions: frogboy and LabZero
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.