Advice Request Has anyone heard of Glasswire Firewall?

• Thread starter Deleted Member 333v73x
  • Start date

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Is Glasswire Firewall

• Safe but bad

Votes: 3 5.5%
  • Safe and good

Votes: 30 54.5%
  • Bad but safe

Votes: 6 10.9%
  • I don't know

Votes: 15 27.3%
  • Unsafe

Votes: 1 1.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted Member 333v73x

Thread author
Hello everyone I was wondering is Glasswire Firewall a good and or safe application? I came across it because 360 TS recommends it... Thank you in advance :)

Reactions: DracusNarcrym

Shran

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jan 19, 2015
Yes, I have used it in the past myself. It is very good for monitoring outbound connections, as you can actually see what IP your programs are connecting to - not just which programs but also where. If you buy the paid version it is a lifetime license and unlocks "block and notify" along with a few other features. Block and notify blocks a new connection attempt if the program attempting to connect doesn't have a rule yet, until you acknowledge the notification and say allow (or block).

GlassWire is supposed to be able to detect ARP spoofing but in my tests it did NOT detect my ARP spoof attacks. Other than that I find it very useful, just don't rely on it to detect ARP spoof or MiTM attacks.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Yes. I have used GlassWire before, but not currently on this system.
You should have noticed the Similar threads on related topics. I have posted the URLs above.
upload_2016-1-22_16-16-11.png

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
Indeed. From what I've found it's a great network monitoring software with amazing information as well as a basic firewall. I've been using it for months. It is a standalone application and recommended by 360TS.

D

Deleted Member 333v73x

Thread author
Indeed. From what I've found it's a great network monitoring software with amazing information as well as a basic firewall. I've been using it for months. It is a standalone application and recommended by 360TS.
Do you know the resource usage and should I use it with my configuration?

Reactions: DracusNarcrym
C

Crystal_Lake_Camper

Thread author
I voted safe but bad , this is because iT messen with my internet speed and loading of webpages! Especially in combo with 360 ts ( which i ran For a day and then got agrivated ) iTS better to pair up with zonealarm free , comodo ( Some features overlap both programs ) or binisoft firewall control

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
I voted safe but bad , this is because iT messen with my internet speed and loading of webpages! Especially in combo with 360 ts ( which i ran For a day and then got agrivated ) iTS better to pair up with zonealarm free , comodo ( Some features overlap both programs ) or binisoft firewall control

Had no troubles with GlassWire on my system regarding loading of webpages. Infact it was so easy to control applications that uses the internet by just clicking the Fire icon to the left of application name in the Firewall tab of Glasswire, when you dont need any application connecting to the internet. Infact it gave me better control of internet speed.

In the past after prolonged usage the resource usage used to get higher, but with newer versions that problem seems to have gotten solved. Going to Settings->Clear History about the records made the memory usage minimal. In later versions I didn't have to do it. Without clearing it's 46MB, after clearing it comes down to 26MB RAM usage.

Anupam

Level 21
Verified
Well-known
Jul 7, 2014

I donno what you are saying.

1. It does not mess with the internet because it uses inbuilt windows firewall and thus not only having great compatibility but also minimum effect on system.
2. It works very good with 360 TS. In fact 360 TS recommends this firewall even they provides direct option to install this firewall from 360 TS itself.

iTS better to pair up with zonealarm free , comodo ( Some features overlap both programs ) or binisoft firewall control
Are you serious? If I had to tell which all other products you should not use Glasswire I would have answered these three :p. Why because
  1. Zonealarm Free has seperate firewall.
  2. Comodo too
  3. Binisoft .. why you need Binisoft when GlassWire can do the same :S

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
I donno what you are saying.

1. It does not mess with the internet because it uses inbuilt windows firewall and thus not only having great compatibility but also minimum effect on system.
That would mean it doesn't have its own firewall, and it mostly a network monitoring tool.

Are you serious? If I had to tell which all other products you should not use Glasswire I would have answered these three :p. Why because
  1. Zonealarm Free has seperate firewall.
  2. Comodo too.
If it can work with Windows Firewall, then couldn't it also work with 3rd party ones as well?

Kate_L

in memoriam
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 21, 2014
I voted Safe and good, I used it with AVAST for a few weeks, it's very good. I removed because I don't really need it so I only used Windows Firewall with AVAST (HIPS are set on level 3).

On my laptop I have Windows Firewall with EXE Radar Pro. I don't see the point of using Glasswire. On my PC, I have CIS and it blocks everything that is not in "trusted group" and I don't need it.

It works very good with Windows Firewall. I recommend it, it's safe and good application.

:)

Anupam

Level 21
Verified
Well-known
Jul 7, 2014
That would mean it doesn't have its own firewall, and it mostly a network monitoring tool.

It simple network monitoring tool + Advanced Windows Firewall with GUI + few extra stuffs like bla bla.

If it can work with Windows Firewall, then couldn't it also work with 3rd party ones as well?
Offcourse ;) But those firewall recommends turning windows firewall off. In that case it's simple monitoring nothing ense

pneuma1985

Level 4
Verified
Aug 30, 2015
Glass wire reminds me alot of little snitch in the way it allows you outright block connections. Yeah basically just and advanced Firewall GUI I think it may even be a control GUI for windows firewall. NS about that but thats what it seemed like to me when I tested it for a few days. Kinda cool if you crack software like adobe... Keep adobe SW from phoning home ;) Not that I promote cracks b/c they are unsafe and you will most likely infect yourself trying to crack anything just and FYI for our novice users.

H

hjlbx

Thread author
Glasswire is OK. It is basic. It allows user to block outbound connections - which is more user-friendly than blocking them via Windows Firewall.

To me, seems emphasis is on pretty graphics... and all those graphics consume memory. Although, I will admit, Glasswire resource usage is quite low compared to most other security related softs.

If they added a few additional features then it would be much better.

Plus, the paid version is very expensive for what you actually get.

DracusNarcrym

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 16, 2015
The free version of Glasswire is great to complement the base Windows Firewall and it offers more granular, manual control over inbound/outbound connections, while the paid version includes some interesting functions such as the the "Block all mode" which stops all incoming/outgoing connections in the host PC.

It must be noted however, that it is entirely possible to achieve many of these functions using alternative (and sometimes more matured) software such as Outpost Firewall (paid, but many of its functions can be found in the free version of Outpost Security Suite), Privatefirewall (free), COMODO Firewall (free) or BiniSoft Windows Firewall Control (free).
Many of the above firewall packages also offer additional security mechanisms to further enhance the overall security of your PC, in case you were looking for additional layers of security other than a network firewall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.