Advice Request Has anyone used Dr. Web KATANA?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Wraith

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 15, 2018
Is it an effective BB like Threatfire or MAMUTU? And can it be run alongside a signature based Antivirus like Windows Defender?

Reactions: Dave Russo

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
It is nowhere near the protection that was offered by ThreatFire and Mamutu at their golden age, it is relatively expensive for what it does but at least it was made with compatibility in mind, so you can use it with another security product.

Personally I wont bother with it, Windows Defender with ConfigureDefender is a much better solution, depending of the paranoia level, you can add OSArmor or apply Syshardener tweaks and be done with it.

There is a reason that standalone behavior blocker/HIPS is dead and Dr Web Katana doesnt bring anything to change that.

ichito

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 12, 2013

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
Dead?...you mean in the same way as the XP? :)
Yes...Katana couldn't change this situation but there are still some othes players on the market.;)

Standalone behavior blocker/HIPS market is dead, Fabian from Emsisoft has made many good posts about this.

I didnt understand your comparison to Windows XP (an ancient OS that should just die), anyway what players we have now in the standalone HIPS/behavior blocker market?

If nobody bought it when no AV had it, how do you propose it will be a success now, where every single AV, free or paid, claim they already have behaviour blocking? Sorry, Mamutu would fare even worse now than it would have years ago. We had like 80 active users of Mamutu at the time we killed it off. 80. For the whole year. That's not even enough to pay for the server for a year, leave alone a developer for just a single month. We kept it alive way longer than it should have been, using it as a test platform for behaviour blocker changes we planned to integrate into EAM later, but even that was not worth it because the user base was too small for any meaningful testing.

It wouldn't be. It would be a big hit here and maybe Wilders. People would wait for huge discounts or free offers or ask for it to be free to begin with and nobody would want to pay for it. When we cancelled Mamutu it has less than 100 paying customers. And yes, back then nobody else was offering BB as a standalone solution either. Literally, nothing has changed since then.

Last edited:

Wraith

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 15, 2018
I've also seen this lately that there are no standalone BB in the market. Threatfire and mamutu was really gold in their days and I still use threatfire on one of my Windows 7 PC's with ESET and still today it performs good. It's better to opt for the entire Dr. Web Security Space suite rather than KATANA. Thanks for all your replies everyone. Cheers :cool::emoji_beer:

ichito

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 12, 2013
Standalone behavior blocker/HIPS market is dead, Fabian from Emsisoft has made many good posts about this.

I didnt understand your comparison to Windows XP (an ancient OS that should just die), anyway what players we have now in the standalone HIPS/behavior blocker market?
Haha...Fabian Wosar is...with all respect...only Fabian Wosar and nobody more...it's his private statement not "revealed truth " that we should treat as the axiom.:emoji_innocent: I agree with him in some aspects but don't with some others.
Comparison to XP?...it should...even it had...to be dead already some years ago :)

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
Haha...Fabian Wosar is...with all respect...only Fabian Wosar and nobody more...it's his private statement not "revealed truth " that we should treat as the axiom.:emoji_innocent: I agree with him in some aspects but don't with some others.
Comparison to XP?...it should...even it had...to be dead already some years ago :)

Fair enough.

You said that they are other players in the standalone behavior blocker market, could you nominate them? As I know there is only Dr Web Katana left and its market share is ridiculous low.

Could you elaborate more about your point about Windows XP? I am not a native english speaker, so I may be wrong here, but I am getting a trollish vibe of your posts and it really seems out of place, your use of emoticons and lack of objective argument/facts sounds like you are proposital being disrespectful.

About Fabian Wosar, well, he is the developer of what was the best standalone behavior blocker in the market (Mamutu) and a renowned security expert, so I am inclined to give his opinions more weight than the average security forum user.

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
Fair enough.

You said that they are other players in the standalone behavior blocker market, could you nominate them? As I know there is only Dr Web Katana left and its market share is ridiculous low.

Could you elaborate more about your point about Windows XP? I am not a native english speaker, so I may be wrong here, but I am getting a trollish vibe of your posts and it really seems out of place, your use of emoticons and lack of objective argument/facts sounds like you are proposital being disrespectful.

About Fabian Wosar, well, he is the developer of what was the best standalone behavior blocker in the market (Mamutu) and a renowned security expert, so I am inclined to give his opinions more weight than the average security forum user.

Yep.

P

Pkjfkknm

There is a reason that standalone behavior blocker/HIPS is dead

problem not behavior blocker/HIPS
problem is user

but I am getting a trollish vibe of your posts and it really seems out of place, your use of emoticons and lack of objective argument/facts sounds like you are proposital being disrespectful.

this whole accuse others troll discrimination
i not white english speaker
so not have same point view then called troll
say soemthing other does not grasp called troll
only popular point view accept at MT ?
what wrong people here MT ?

say xp should die offensive in my poor country
we not white rich peoples
no tolerance for poor not white no english speak ?

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
this whole accuse others troll discrimination
i not white english speaker
so not have same point view then called troll
say soemthing other does not grasp called troll
only popular point view accept at MT ?
what wrong people here MT ?

say xp should die offensive in my poor country
we not white rich peoples
no tolerance for poor not white no english speak ?

No, there is plenty of tolerance.

I think you have some good input. I agree with you and think you have had relevant input on several topics.

You just need to 'play nice' with others.

You seem to have a 'chip on your shoulder.'
Meaning here: What Does A Chip on Your Shoulder Mean? - Writing Explained

The way you are going now... you won't last long.

But you can... it's up to you.

There are a lot of lower-income, non-white, non-English speakers here at MT.
You are not alone.

Welcome to MT.

P

Pkjfkknm

You just need to 'play nice' with others.

You seem to have a 'chip on your shoulder.'
Meaning here: What Does A Chip on Your Shoulder Mean? - Writing Explained

The way you are going now... you won't last long.

you show where i wrong
i make observation
i post opinion
my opinion valid
valid like others
i get called troll

now you talk down
like i make problem

look back my posts
make count personal attack i make
make count others personal attack on me
one say i not able read
another say i ridiculous posts
more say my post trolls
no reason for it
they not like my post
so they attack me
hmm ?
what yuo say then ?
evidence speaks itself

i do not one thing wrong here

• HaHa
Reactions: Cortex and Venustus

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
you show where i wrong
i make observation
i post opinion
my opinion valid
valid like others
i get called troll

now you talk down
like i make problem

look back my posts
make count personal attack i make
make count others personal attack on me
one say i not able read
another say i ridiculous posts
more say my post trolls
no reason for it
they not like my post
so they attack me
hmm ?
what yuo say then ?
evidence speaks itself

i do not one thing wrong here

People just don't know you yet.

Yeah, they should not call you a troll.

Yeah, you have some valid points.

Again, Welcome to MT.

Peace Brother.

ichito

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 12, 2013
Fair enough.

#1 - no...I don't know...or better saing...I don't remember others BB that are currently actively developed but you can still download and install on older systems ThreatFire

#2 - no, I can't elaborate my words about XP. It's simply because it was clear and direct allusion and it's commone wise that explaining allusion/joke is just killing sense of humor. BTW - thanks that you appreciate my English skills although you know for sure that is not my native language.

#3 - to be a developer even "the best" apps doesn't means to be source of rules. I like when people have choice and decide whta they want ot use to protect themselves. Mamutu was...was because developer blocked its installation the same as OA...great blocker but opinion that was the best it's a bit risky. Perhaps not only for me TF is much more configurable than Mamutu...I could say that TF is one of the most configurable security app that I met.

Reactions: harlan4096

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.