Not open for further replies.

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
After a decade, Microsoft has finally cut off support for the Windows Vista operating system.
syc888M.png

Mainstream support for Windows Vista ended back in April 10, 2012. However, its extended support for the second service pack lasted for five more years.

By April 11, which is today, Microsoft will no longer offer hotfixes, security patches, or any sort of update to its users around the globe. With this in consideration, anyone using Windows Vista past the support date could leave the OS vulnerable to security risks and viruses that could harm the computer. Internet Explorer 9 on Vista has also been discontinued, which could expose users to even more threats. In line with this, Microsoft will also cease providing technical support for computers running the OS.

While its predecessor, Windows XP, is still being used until today by at least 7.44% of users, according to NetMarketShare, Windows Vista is the complete opposite. The latest statistics show that it is now only used by 0.72% of users worldwide, with users jumping to more modern operating systems like Windows 7 and 8.1.
Via Neowin

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
After a decade, Microsoft has finally cut off support for the Windows Vista operating system.
syc888M.png

Mainstream support for Windows Vista ended back in April 10, 2012. However, its extended support for the second service pack lasted for five more years.

By April 11, which is today, Microsoft will no longer offer hotfixes, security patches, or any sort of update to its users around the globe. With this in consideration, anyone using Windows Vista past the support date could leave the OS vulnerable to security risks and viruses that could harm the computer. Internet Explorer 9 on Vista has also been discontinued, which could expose users to even more threats. In line with this, Microsoft will also cease providing technical support for computers running the OS.

While its predecessor, Windows XP, is still being used until today by at least 7.44% of users, according to NetMarketShare, Windows Vista is the complete opposite. The latest statistics show that it is now only used by 0.72% of users worldwide, with users jumping to more modern operating systems like Windows 7 and 8.1.
Via Neowin
Goodbye and good riddance I say I used Vista for about a month before Windows 7 came out and never looked back. :)

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
I would be amazed if people still used Vista. Don't see any reason for any home user to use it and companies i would assume didn't upgrade to Vista back then because they would have heard the bad comments before the upgrade and skipped it.

Nuno

Level 2
Verified
Feb 26, 2016
From all the Microsoft OS I've used, it was probably the one I disliked the most. Buggy and kinda slow in my old mid-tier laptop and the only OS that I managed to completely mess up unintentionally with a malware to the point that I had to format the disk.
Which was actually a good thing as it was the perfect excuse to change to W7. :p

DJ Panda

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 30, 2015
I am formatting/updating my Vista computer right now. Hasn't been fresh reset in 10+ years. Unable to bump it to Win 7 because it doesn't have the power to. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.