Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Two things.

1. It's another layer, and
2 Sbie does one thing none of the others do. It cleans up the junk left on your system I am sometimes amazed at how much there is.
As for number one, would you prefer SBIE over ReHIPS?

Peter2150

Level 7
Verified
Oct 24, 2015
As for number one, would you prefer SBIE over ReHIPS?

For me Sandboxie for a couple of reasons. Biggest is that I am intimately familiar with Sandboxie. I don't even
remember how long it's been. But it does everything I need. ReHIPS would do it also, but for me it would be a big
learning curve, and I don't see any better protection.

Reactions: shmu26

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Correct, but me no sure ReHIPS can currently clean or auto delete virtualization environment like SBIE does.
You can delete ReHIPS isolated environment, but it is not as quick and painless as with SBIE.

Peter2150

Level 7
Verified
Oct 24, 2015
Okay, that would have been my answer. I have played a lot with ReHIPS, but I am just more comfortable with Sandboxie.

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Okay, that would have been my answer. I have played a lot with ReHIPS, but I am just more comfortable with Sandboxie.
I guess the main advantage to ReHIPS would be that it rolls NVT ERP and SBIE into one app.

Trooper

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 28, 2015
One thing to note is that Sandboxie does not play nice with Google Chrome. From what I have read and tested myself. ReHIPS works but it is a bit quirky if you ask me.

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
One thing to note is that Sandboxie does not play nice with Google Chrome. From what I have read and tested myself. ReHIPS works but it is a bit quirky if you ask me.
Right, ReHIPS does not have compatibility issues with Google Chrome and MS Office, although SBIE does struggle with these problems. The reason is because of what @Lockdown mentioned, that the underlying mechanism of ReHIPS is completely different.

Reactions: Trooper

Trooper

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 28, 2015
Right, ReHIPS does not have compatibility issues with Google Chrome and MS Office, although SBIE does struggle with these problems. The reason is because of what @Lockdown mentioned, that the underlying mechanism of ReHIPS is completely different.

Yup. I wish Sandboxie played nice with Chrome but alas it does not. I need to visit ReHIPS again but not sure that I will, based upon the other issues it causes.

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Yup. I wish Sandboxie played nice with Chrome but alas it does not. I need to visit ReHIPS again but not sure that I will, based upon the other issues it causes.
I actually had no problem at all with Chrome and SBIE, on Windows 10 CU.
I did have an issue with MS Office, but the beta version of SBIE solved that.

Trooper

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 28, 2015
I actually had no problem at all with Chrome and SBIE, on Windows 10 CU.
I did have an issue with MS Office, but the beta version of SBIE solved that.

Really? I thought it was not supported or whatever. I will try again with CU on 10.

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Really? I thought it was not supported or whatever. I will try again with CU on 10.
Chrome works sweet as pie with SBIE on Windows 10 CU, at least for me.
But you never know what will happen when Chrome updates. There is a chance of compatibility issues, until SBIE issues a fix.

Trooper

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 28, 2015
Chrome works sweet as pie with SBIE on Windows 10 CU, at least for me.
But you never know what will happen when Chrome updates. There is a chance of compatibility issues, until SBIE issues a fix.

Good to know man, thanks!

Chrome updates that result in SBIE issues is a long-standing one, unless you opt to use an obsolete version of the\a browser like one dedicated SBIE user does.

Using obsolete software so that they can run in SBIE without issue is just plain ludicrous.

Reactions: shmu26 and Trooper

Trooper

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 28, 2015
Chrome updates that result in SBIE issues is a long-standing one, unless you opt to use an obsolete version of the\a browser like one dedicated SBIE user does.

Using obsolete software so that they can run in SBIE without issue is just plain ludicrous.

Agreed. However I am now running SBIE with the latest version of Chrome with no issues as @shmu26 has posted above.

Agreed. However I am now running SBIE with the latest version of Chrome with no issues as @shmu26 has posted above.

Browser updates, whether it is for Chrome, Firefox, IE or others, eventually cause breakage as do Windows Updates. It is just a matter of time. In testing SBIE has proven more sensitive to updates than other security software. The SBIE forum is full of evidence\reports that support this observation.

Some people will call this product bashing and that is just plain ludicrous too because I have openly stated many times that SBIE is a good security software. The on-going conflicts between it and other programs is a function of the way it works. When the program is changed, corresponding changes must be made in SBIE.

Some people just read what they want to read and ignore everything else.

Reactions: shmu26 and Trooper

Trooper

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 28, 2015
Browser updates, whether it is for Chrome, Firefox, IE or others, eventually cause breakage as do Windows Updates. It is just a matter of time. In testing SBIE has proven more sensitive to updates than other security software. The SBIE forum is full of evidence\reports that support this observation.

Some people will call this product bashing and that is just plain ludicrous too because I have openly stated many times that SBIE is a good security software. The on-going conflicts between it and other programs is a function of the way it works. When the program is changed, corresponding changes must be made in SBIE.

Duly noted. I was a long time SBIE user and only fairly recently started using it again for Firefox and now Chrome. Guess nothing else is out there aside from maybe ReHIPS to sandbox these browsers correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.