Level 35
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Hello fellows,

Since i bought this laptop and i installed Windows 10 on it, i've been having trouble connecting to my WiFi. See actually i connect to WiFi with my mobile phone as a hotspot because i'm visiting people on the country who don't have their own internet (sucks).

What i've noticed: When i power on the laptop and try to connect to my hotspot, i get "connected, no internet", and cannot surf the web. If i disable Emsisoft's Firewall, then i can connect back again. I can enable it back again and the network remains working until i disconnect manually. Then i'll have to turn off firewall again to be able to connect.

Emsisoft's clearly the problem but i can't figure out why. I've set the network as private thinking maybe it thought it was unsafe and tried to protect me but still not fixed. Any idea?

Thank you and have a great night.

Hello fellows,

Since i bought this laptop and i installed Windows 10 on it, i've been having trouble connecting to my WiFi. See actually i connect to WiFi with my mobile phone as a hotspot because i'm visiting people on the country who don't have their own internet (sucks).

What i've noticed: When i power on the laptop and try to connect to my hotspot, i get "connected, no internet", and cannot surf the web. If i disable Emsisoft's Firewall, then i can connect back again. I can enable it back again and the network remains working until i disconnect manually. Then i'll have to turn off firewall again to be able to connect.

Emsisoft's clearly the problem but i can't figure out why. I've set the network as private thinking maybe it thought it was unsafe and tried to protect me but still not fixed. Any idea?

You don't mention if you are trying to connect via a tether nor if you are using a data connection

Also, it is unclear if you were having Wifi connectivity issues prior to the visit or you bought the laptop during the visit and the Wifi connectivity is only because you are using a mobile hotspot

Did you enable Mobile Hotspot on Windows 10 under Settings > Networking ?

After you enable Mobile Hotspot it will show in Emsisoft > Protection > Firewall > Manage Networks

If your phone and PC are paired with Bluetooth enabled, then the phone should have been able to automatically enable Mobile Hotspot on your Win 10 PC unless you disabled that auto-allow-enable setting

Not sure if it will solve your problem, but it is worth a try

Last edited by a moderator:

RoboMan

Level 35
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Did you disable Windows firewall completely? There are 3 items to disable in Windows Firewall with Advanced Security.
Hi, yes. The whole Windows Firewall was shut down to avoid incompatibilities.

You don't mention if you are trying to connect via a tether nor if you are using a data connection

Also, it is unclear if you were having Wifi connectivity issues prior to the visit or you bought the laptop during the visit and the Wifi connectivity is only because you are using a mobile hotspot

Did you enable Mobile Hotspot on Windows 10 under Settings > Networking ?

After you enable Mobile Hotspot it will show in Emsisoft > Protection > Firewall > Manage Networks

If your phone and PC are paired with Bluetooth enabled, then the phone should have been able to automatically enable Mobile Hotspot on your Win 10 PC unless you disabled that auto-allow-enable setting

Not sure if it will solve your problem, but it is worth a try

Using data connection.

Problem may be due to hotspot since i only used hotspot on this laptop (bought on visit).

I did not, will give a try but without Emsisoft i could connect with no issue.

Yes, i can see it and set it as private.

I disabled bluetooth driver on my system to not compromise it.

Thanks for the try. I was dumping Emsisoft anyways, so i guess this will just speed up my move to Kaspersky.

Once again thanks for the help, you and everybody. I'll create a customer ticket with Emsisoft to see if they know the cause and will update the thread. Will migrate to Kaspersky to test and see if it is worth the buy.

RoboMan

Level 35
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
The grass isn't greener on the other side. It's just a different kind of grass.
This grass seems to like me cause it's not giving me any problems lol. My pal would say "same ##### different toilette". Dumping Emsisoft anyways not only because of this. Lately it has been giving me lots of problems. Random disconnects of WiFi, impossibility to connect to the WiFi, high CPU usage, blocking legit software without notification.

This grass seems to like me cause it's not giving me any problems lol. My pal would say "same ##### different toilette". Dumping Emsisoft anyways not only because of this. Lately it has been giving me lots of problems. Random disconnects of WiFi, impossibility to connect to the WiFi, high CPU usage, blocking legit software without notification.

On two of my personal laptops I use Emsisoft on one and Kaspersky on the other. I have more "issues" (=bugs exposed only with advanced configuration) with Kaspersky than I do with Emsisoft. That being said, I do not doubt your problems which you described. I once watched a internet security suite installed to two identical systems fresh out of the box. On one it worked fine, on the other it was a mess. Go figure.

What I am saying is that you will find at least a few quirks in Kaspersky that will annoy you to some extent. Annoyances are a part of the security soft landscape.

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
Good luck with Kaspersky because it's a really solid product as long as it likes your system and it doesn't make it feel like a pentium 4.

Btw now you have both the NSA and FSO saving your stuff. Double backup is the best backup. :p:cool:

Deletedmessiah

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 16, 2017
Will mention that sometimes, when I go down the pub, I sometimes have difficulty connecting to the pub wifi - it'll just say it's connecting for the entire duration and never actually connects. Don't know why it happens but it does
Your situation is the effect of drinking too much my friend. :p

Hello fellows,

@RoboMan

Did anything work to resolve the issue ?

What you are experiencing is one of those annoying issues. So if you found a fix I certainly would be interested in learning about it. I'm sure others here would too.

RoboMan

Level 35
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
@RoboMan

Did anything work to resolve the issue ?

What you are experiencing is one of those annoying issues. So if you found a fix I certainly would be interested in learning about it. I'm sure others here would too.
Hello mate, nothing at all worked. I tried everything mentioned above, and some more things, such as renewing ip, releasing, flushing DNS, disable the whole antivirus, tweaking the firewall. It only worked with no issue once i uninstalled Emsisoft. Kaspersky is working really smooth and great, no issues at all. So far...

But if i get a response on Emsisoft that do not require to re-install their software to try it, i'll sure share it with you guys.

Reactions: Deletedmessiah

Hello mate, nothing at all worked. I tried everything mentioned above, and some more things, such as renewing ip, releasing, flushing DNS, disable the whole antivirus, tweaking the firewall. It only worked with no issue once i uninstalled Emsisoft. Kaspersky is working really smooth and great, no issues at all. So far...

But if i get a response on Emsisoft that do not require to re-install their software to try it, i'll sure share it with you guys.

Well, the mobile wifi has to show in Manage Networks. If it doesn't show, then Emsisoft just filters whatever active network is showing in Windows Network Center.

This is a very interesting annoyance so I am keen on learning about "the solution."

drakester

Level 1
May 14, 2017
I had a similar issue and it was a conflict with Checkpoint Mobile client that I had installed in my laptop to connect with our corporate network, every time I uninstalled one or the other, internet worked back again.

Unfortunately they haven't resolved the incompatibility and I had to drop Emsisoft, it looked like a really good product and the support was absolutely great.

Reactions: Deletedmessiah

WinXPert

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jan 9, 2013
No time to backread. Have you tried these?
  • Go to Device Manager
  • Uninstall your Wireless Driver
  • Reinstall
  • Try to reconnect to Wifi

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.