Advice Request Have you enabled "Detection of Unsafe Applications" in ESET?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

ESET: Have you enabled Detection of Potentially Unsafe Applications?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Purshu_Pro

Level 29
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 3, 2013
Yes, when I was a ESET user I used this feature and it works great as a PUP detector. The reason the applications have been detected as a PUP because they will have some inbuilt bundled software which installs along with the original product.

For example: Software's comes with additional installers and offers like marketing material, browser toolbars etc.. which might change the browser search settings without users knowledge.

150427-version-10-pups.png

My suggestion would be keeping it on as it really helps to track some malicious softwares which may come with PUP's.

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
I think the detection of your Auslogics is not from the "Detection of potentially unsafe applications" option, but rather from "Detection of potentially unwanted applications". If ESET didn't change the options, there are two options for those "potentially".

According to VT, thanks to @roger_m, the detection has something to do with being it unwanted. :)

The reason why it's potentially unwanted is already given by the posters above. :)

Pearl96

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Jan 14, 2017
That's because some programs can show a pattern of installation without user permission or notice on a system or be deemed to be separate and different from the application installed.
BTW I recommend keeping it enabled.

"Detection of potentially unsafe applications" In my opinion, this option should be enabled for the extension of protection. The final decision should always belong to the user.

Yes, when I was a ESET user I used this feature and it works great as a PUP detector. The reason the applications have been detected as a PUP because they will have some inbuilt bundled software which installs along with the original product.

For example: Software's comes with additional installers and offers like marketing material, browser toolbars etc.. which might change the browser search settings without users knowledge.

150427-version-10-pups.png

My suggestion would be keeping it on as it really helps to track some malicious softwares which may come with PUP's.

When i was using ESET, i enabled it
I recommend to enable it because i think it's for detecting PUP

Thank you all! I'll keep it enabled.

Pearl96

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Jan 14, 2017
I think the detection of your Auslogics is not from the "Detection of potentially unsafe applications" option, but rather from "Detection of potentially unwanted applications". If ESET didn't change the options, there are two options for those "potentially".

According to VT, thanks to @roger_m, the detection has something to do with being it unwanted. :)

The reason why it's potentially unwanted is already given by the posters above. :)

Auslogics installers are not bundled with toolbars or other installations of other software. I think the reason behind its detection is something called "Google analytics"

tonibalas

Level 40
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
I have it enabled.
The reason is to avoid programs that i don't want to download.
A good example was the installer of CCleaner which was bundled with Chrome.
Eset always flagged the installer as suspicious or something like that.
I also have the option enabled because of the low false positive rate of Eset.
If Eset something is malicious or suspicious then most of the time is right.

Pearl96

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Jan 14, 2017
I have it enabled.
The reason is to avoid programs that i don't want to download.
A good example was the installer of CCleaner which was bundled with Chrome.
Eset always flagged the installer as suspicious or something like that.
I also have the option enabled because of the low false positive rate of Eset.
If Eset something is malicious or suspicious then most of the time is right.

The same happened to me with the normal installer of ccleaner, so I downloaded the slim version which is not bundled with any third party services

Reactions: tonibalas

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
Auslogics installers are not bundled with toolbars or other installations of other software. I think the reason behind its detection is something called "Google analytics"
Also, most Auslogics products come bundled with BootSpeed. If you do the default Express Install then you will not be informed that BootSpeed will be installed, or given the option to opt out of installing it. You need to do a Cusom Install, and then you will have the option to not install it. I just installed the latest version of Auslogics Registry Cleaner, and it now also wanted to change my homepage and search engine to Yahoo, and also install Auslogics Driver Updater.

Auslogics RC.png Auslogics RC2.png Auslogics RC3.png

Unchecky automatically set the install to Custom, and unchecked the other extras.

DJ Panda

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 30, 2015
I have heard really good things about ESET. However, due to some hardware problems I am not able to run it. I picked the third option because I use a different program. :)

Pearl96

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Jan 14, 2017
Also, most Auslogics products come bundled with BootSpeed. If you do the default Express Install then you will not be informed that BootSpeed will be installed, or given the option to opt out of installing it. You need to do a Cusom Install, and then you will have the option to not install it. I just installed the latest version of Auslogics Registry Cleaner, and it now also wanted to change my homepage and search engine to Yahoo, and also install Auslogics Driver Updater.

View attachment 142648 View attachment 142649 View attachment 142650

Unchecky automatically set the install to Custom, and unchecked the other extras.

This is their support reply -_-
"
Thank you for your message and I am sorry there was an issue installing our software.
I would like to assure you that we do not include malware or viruses in our installers. We only work with reliable partners, whose offers are screened and tested to be malware and virus-free. If an installation is flagged by an antivirus program, it must be a false-positive, which unfortunately may happen with legitimate software. No third-party product is ever installed silently with our programs - you are always shown the offer first and given the option to decline it.

Please, let us know which antivirus program is installed on your PC and we will help you to add our product to the antivirus Trust List.

Thank you for being our customer!"

I am emailing them again and this time with screenshots

Reactions: tonibalas

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
This is their support reply -_-
"
Thank you for your message and I am sorry there was an issue installing our software.
I would like to assure you that we do not include malware or viruses in our installers. We only work with reliable partners, whose offers are screened and tested to be malware and virus-free. If an installation is flagged by an antivirus program, it must be a false-positive, which unfortunately may happen with legitimate software. No third-party product is ever installed silently with our programs - you are always shown the offer first and given the option to decline it.

Please, let us know which antivirus program is installed on your PC and we will help you to add our product to the antivirus Trust List.

Thank you for being our customer!"

I am emailing them again and this time with screenshots
The Support is quite right, except for the "false positive".

The detection you had is not about malware. It's about PUP. And PUP isn't classified as malware. ESET deliberately included Auslogics products to their PUP detection, as seen in the detection name.

So, no, it's not false positive, but a PUP detection. :) If you really want to use the product, then you just have to exclude it from detection. :)

Pearl96

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Jan 14, 2017
The Support is quite right, except for the "false positive".

The detection you had is not about malware. It's about PUP. And PUP isn't classified as malware. ESET deliberately included Auslogics products to their PUP detection, as seen in the detection name.

So, no, it's not false positive, but a PUP detection. :) If you really want to use the product, then you just have to exclude it from detection. :)

Hello and thank you! I know it is not malware detection but it is a PUP and it should always be detected. I am emailing them to see what they will reply!

Reactions: XhenEd

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
Hello and thank you! I know it is not malware detection but it is a PUP and it should always be detected. I am emailing them to see what they will reply!
Why are you emaiing them for? It's not being detected as being malware, but is correctly being detected as being a PUP.

Reactions: Pearl96 and XhenEd

Pearl96

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Jan 14, 2017
Why are you emaiing them for? It's not being detected as being malware, but is correctly being detected as being a PUP.

I am emailing them because this is not acceptable - bundling their installers with other installers and 3rd party services! I know it is kind of advertisement and I know they will not change the way their installers work but I want them to know that their installer will never be reported as false positive. What I find interesting is the installer of Auslogics Disk Defrag pro. It is not detected by Eset!

Reactions: XhenEd

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
I am emailing them because this is not acceptable - bundling their installers with other installers and 3rd party services! I know it is kind of advertisement and I know they will not change the way their installers work but I want them to know that their installer will never be reported as false positive. What I find interesting is the installer of Auslogics Disk Defrag pro. It is not detected by Eset!
Of course it's not acceptable, but most likely they just don't care. They would already know it that their software will always be detected. I wouldn't consider Auslogics to be a trustworthy company. For example, they use a fake review site, softwaretested.com to promote their Tweakbit branded software. So I wouldn't expect them to care about anything other than making money.

Maybe the Pro of their defrag software version doesn't come bundled with anything, and that is why it does not get detected.

Reactions: XhenEd and Pearl96
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.