Have you ever tried a Linux Distribution?

Have you ever tried a Linux Distribution?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 178

yep i tried many, around 15 years ago, and the lack of compatibility with Windows for games and the boring procedure to install them (with the root thing, at that time for me) made me quit it.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
A long time ago, Ubuntu 6.06 using Wubi. It screwed up my Windows installation during the Windows XP days.

I've also used Linux Mint and XBMC. Give those a try.

Will I ever use Linux again? Probably not.

imsoadude

Level 3
Verified
Feb 21, 2011
Yea, right now i have a old computer with Crunchbang, and i really like it :) i also like ubuntu and puppy linux but i love how light crunchbang is

Hungry Man

Jul 21, 2011
I try once every 6 months or so with Ubuntu or different distros.

What a pain. It's never been worth it even once.

WinAndLinuxTutorials

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 23, 2011
Hungry Man said:
I try once every 6 months or so with Ubuntu or different distros.

What a pain. It's never been worth it even once.

I used PCLinuxOS. It is a really stable rolling distribution, no need to reinstall every 1.5 years (or 6 months to stay updated with the latest version). But sadly it didn't work on my new PC, but it worked on the older one. :D

Valentin N

Level 2
Feb 25, 2011
I have tried ubuntu but I ended up returning to windows. If all linux distributions became on and made only one linux then I think linux would have a change. The main problem I have is hardware support; since linux software isn't widely used the manufactors don't write the necessary code that is needed so that is works on linux.

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
I've tried most of the Linux variants. Currently I have VM's using Ubuntu, Kubuntu, PCLinuxOS, Fedora, Mint, and OpenSuSE.

I recently deleted Debian because IceWeasel (Debian's version of Firefox) never gets updated unless you run Dev repositories which change with each release, and Mandriva because I don't like the direction it is going.

WinAndLinuxTutorials

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 23, 2011
HeffeD said:
I've tried most of the Linux variants. Currently I have VM's using Ubuntu, Kubuntu, PCLinuxOS, Fedora, Mint, and OpenSuSE.

I recently deleted Debian because IceWeasel (Debian's version of Firefox) never gets updated unless you run Dev repositories which change with each release, and Mandriva because I don't like the direction it is going.

What do you think of Ubuntu, Mint and PCLinuxOS?

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
I have tried a few Linux types, one which is Puppy Linux and just Ubuntu and at TAFE we have been using OpenSUSE, which I thought was quite good.

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
WinAndLinuxTutorials said:
What do you think of Ubuntu, Mint and PCLinuxOS?

They're fine, but they really aren't that much different than any other distribution.

I'm still trying to decide whether or not I like the Unity desktop in Ubuntu. I prefer KDE to Gnome, so I would choose Kubuntu over Ubuntu. (I don't like LXDE or XFCE, so no Lubuntu or Xubuntu) Until the latest release of VMWare, the drivers weren't able to run Unity, so I've been using Gnome. I've only been playing with it for a little while. (Less than a month? Whenever the update for VMWare came out, anyway...)

Of the three, I'd say I like PCLinuxOS the best.

iPanik

Feb 28, 2011
I tried Ubuntu and Arch back in the days of Ubuntu 8
the saying "Linux is only free, if your time doesn't have value" was very much true then.
While it was a lot of nerdy fun, the time spent making it work properly was triple that of actually doing something productive... or, you know, procrastinating. ;)
So i switched back to Windows after half a year.

House_maniac

Level 1
Sep 21, 2011
i tried kubuntu i won't use linux again as with windows i have everything i need i don't think i will use an operating system with which i will have many limitations :S

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Yes and I found that Puppy Linux would run well even in low type of machine. Download size of installation isn't big at all, as even criticize of not all application would work for Puppy Linux its ok for me.

As long common use application were available in Quickpet.

Making a dual boot to XP and Windows XP that's how I did it all the time.

moonshine

Level 7
Verified
Apr 19, 2011
Yes I've tried Ubuntu, Kubuntu and Puppy Linux. I'm thinking of trying Linux Mint right now. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.