Have You Had A Malware Infection In The Past Year?

Have you had a malware infection in the last year?

• Yes

Votes: 3 12.0%
  • No

Votes: 22 88.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DrBeenGolfing

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Mar 16, 2013
Have you (your computer) had any malware infection in the last year?
Yes
No
Feel free to tell us how and where you got it, if you wish.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
As I've used the netbook from my mother before, it infected accidentally from a autorun attack which I've got in computer lab from school.

Decided to reformat but not so easy since very vital from my paperworks.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
My last infection was back in the days when the only browser choices you had were IE and Netscape Navigator. Back then drive-bye malware could auto download and execute themselves. That goodness for modern browsers which stopped this problem.

Thanks.:D

Spirit

Level 2
May 17, 2012
I was effected by malware many times in yaer or I should say I get infected my computer 3-4 times in a day.
But Thanks God after I come to know about MalwareTips I have never got infection on my pc.
I like to advise everyone to just try the forum and you will feel the change.

My above answer was based on Teleshopping ads which are aired in my country :p

On serious note No iI never have infection of malware on my pc from last 1 year.

nishaddesilva

Level 3
Aug 26, 2012
I haven't had a malware problem for years now! :D

gxAktEk.jpg

Hats off to MalwareTips for keeping the members as clean as possible!!!

Venustus

Level 59
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
Not in the last year!:D
Very good advice indeed, here on these forums!!:)

Viking

Level 26
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 2, 2011
Last infection was back in 2007. (on my old xp machine)

Nikos751

Level 20
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
After 2-3 years of being malware free with Avast (and for a short time Norton), I caught a virus about 2 months ago that did not allowed me to open services, task manager, gpedit, or even turn off the computer via metro. It must have been HTML/ScrInject.b as I visited a site with AV promos etc (the only unusual those days) that later Virustotal reported as malware site with this malware when scanned it. I entered it again after system restore that fixed the problem to make sure as I was going to format the disk (I wanted to refresh my Windows installation) and the problems appeared again after some time. In Safe mode I could do everything but MBAM (quick), tdss, Norton power eraser could not detect anything. Only hitman pro detected that Windows was booting in WinPE mode setting. I also ran gmer...nothing! Rogue killer found some registry keys with wrong value but it must have been false positive as I learned later on when did the scan on clean Win8 after formatting.
I had ESS 6 in real time along with WSA in real time and none of them reported anything wrong. UAC was off or in medium setting-don't remember exactly. The malware turned off ESET (it crashed and not started after reboot) while WSA was running ok but not reporting anything wrong. Hmm..WSA did not detect anything BUT continued running normally! I am almost sure that it was a HTML/ScrInject.b malware.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Last known infection 2004 (Windows XP).

Yahoo Anti-Spy kept detecting a recurring item after deletion.

Yahoo Anti-Spy was included with the Yahoo Toolbar provided by my ISP.

zekKxUS.jpg

DrBeenGolfing

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Mar 16, 2013
Earth said:
Last known infection 2004 (Windows XP).

Yahoo Anti-Spy kept detecting a recurring item after deletion.

Yahoo Anti-Spy was included with the Yahoo Toolbar provided by my ISP.

zekKxUS.jpg
Earth fires up his Way Back machine again. Thanks!

"It was described by InfoWorld as "one the most established brands in anti-spyware",[9] and in 2002, it was selected as "Security product of year" by Network World, which cited its ability to detect and remove more than 60,000 types of malware, and its defenses against Remote Administration Tools (RATs).[10]

Billing itself as the "Authority in Spyware Protection," it licensed its signature files for use in Yahoo! Companion and others. In 2003, along with other anti-spyware and anti-malware companies such as Webroot, Lavasoft and Aluria, it formed an industry consortium to fight malware called the Consortium of Antispyware Technology (COAST).[11]

Computer Associates (now CA Technologies) bought PestPatrol in 2004[12] and made it a part of its eTrust computer security line, which includes a virus scanner and a firewall. Using the newly acquired technology, CA created a bundle named CA Integrated Threat Management (ITM), which consisted of an anti-virus solution and the PestPatrol anti-spyware.[8]

Renamed CA Anti-Spyware in 2007, the program can be bought separately, or as part of CA Internet Security.

In 2007, the CA Anti-Spyware team was instrumental in exposing the fact that Facebook was collecting personal information about their users, without their knowledge, even when those users opted out of Facebook's ill-fated Beacon program, and even when those users were not logged in to Facebook." - Wikipedia

DTech28

Verified
Apr 13, 2013
7 Years ago I when I wanted to see for how long would I last without Kaspersky installed. If I remember, it was 1 trojan. The computer was due to be format so I did not loose anything.

Syntax

Level 1
Feb 4, 2012
kd90k8.jpg

First virus to invade our system back from 2004 (2005 i guess). We have avg for protection but not updated. We still don't have internet that year.

Brontok virus is indeed irritating. Hiding your folders, executing IE in startup w/ the messsages. The image is not the one I encountered but it's still a brontok variant.

Overkill

Level 31
Verified
Honorary Member
Feb 15, 2012
The last time I was infected was 2008 and I was browsing a myspace page and all of a sudden my Mcafee went nuts and eventually I found out my brand new external hdd was nuked so whatever hit me was pretty nasty and Mcafee failed bigtime!
Thanks for MT, I've learned so much since i've been a member.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
I think most of you got infected long time before from the most infamous PUP/Rogue Program called StopZilla.

Where it goes pretty annoying from your system, keeping up from the unlicensed version and last some certain application could crash due to that infection.

This was overly rated to be a legitimate product and until now the still exist from now.

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011
If you condier "Delta Search" to be malware, I have. LOL
I took care of it with adwcleaner and a simple tweak in FF.
Anyway, that is what I got for surfing naked one too many times.

Zurchiboy

Verified
Apr 10, 2013
I havn't been infected yet. Have encountered fake scan pages though, they can be annoying.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.