App Review Heilig Defense RansomOff Bypassed

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

[correlate]

Level 18
Thread author
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2019

Conclusion: Heilig Defense RansomOff is not bad, it remains a very good security tool to protect you from 0day ransomware attacks, but it would be necessary to add a security of the startup of the machine and better protect the services and processes of the software to prevent this type of action to occur. Otherwise this software can be a real benefit for security coupled with a traditional antivirus.

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
After checked the video a bit deeper it looks like this " home made " ransomware was able to stop ROs ( RansomOff ) service ( proof shown 3:54 in the video ) and therefor also infect the system. I also noted that in the Option menu ( 0:58 in the video ) 2 settings was probably changed before the test. The Session 0 Alerts and The Security, if one compare with settings information on ROs official site.
ops11.png
I can't confirm those would actually matter without testing RO myself. Another self protection that could made a difference is the " Require password for select operations " option. With that enabled, I suspect the ransomware would fail. Still, IMO this test feels a bit too cheeky if one consider it's a security software that hasen't been updated since almost 1 year ago.

Anyway thanks for the share @Correlate (y)

Last edited:

[correlate]

Level 18
Thread author
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2019
He's the worst tester on youtube this guy. Do not give attention to his tests. He made a ransomware and tries to project himself. It has a test with COMODO. If you look at it, you'll see how bad tester he is
The owner of the video uses COMODO
To protect his computer
A few months ago, I asked him to list RansomOff for testing.
He is adept at finding vulnerabilities for protection programs, especially for ransomware

stefanos

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 31, 2014
The owner of the video uses COMODO
To protect his computer
A few months ago, I asked him to list RansomOff for testing.
He is adept at finding vulnerabilities for protection programs, especially for ransomware
For me this guy is unacceptable. He tries to ridicule all the protection products in order to promote himself. Watch the video with COMODO and you will understand what I am saying

RoxasDev

Level 1
Jul 1, 2017
For me this guy is unacceptable. He tries to ridicule all the protection products in order to promote himself. Watch the video with COMODO and you will understand what I am saying

I do not ridicule under any circumstances security products, just that the perfect protection does not exist and will never exist, there will always be a way of circumvention even for the most advanced products. I use myself COMODO on my PC is a very good security product and COMODO is just not suitable for the novice person in computer unfortunately it requires a user intervention but it limits enormously the risks by isolating the unknown programs in a sandbox. Regarding RansomOff it is also a good protection to couple with a traditional antivirus to strengthen the Anti-Ransomware protection but just that the Self-Defense module should be improved to prevent a ransomware to stop its services and thus encrypt the machine.

Best Regards.

little boy62

Level 1
Verified
May 29, 2014
Hi.

He tries to project himself ? :emoji_grimacing:

he doesn't mention his various tools, nor his website, nor the ransomware (he gives no information about it).
Moreover, he has indicated that he will never divulge this ransomware.

Yes, he likes what he does. What's is the problem ?
Who are we to judge others?

He want to prove the security protections aren't fully infallible.
And so give some leads, to a possible correction of these protections

what's wrong with it ?
I confess I don't understand.

cya

stefanos

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 31, 2014
I do not ridicule under any circumstances security products, just that the perfect protection does not exist and will never exist, there will always be a way of circumvention even for the most advanced products. I use myself COMODO on my PC is a very good security product and COMODO is just not suitable for the novice person in computer unfortunately it requires a user intervention but it limits enormously the risks by isolating the unknown programs in a sandbox. Regarding RansomOff it is also a good protection to couple with a traditional antivirus to strengthen the Anti-Ransomware protection but just that the Self-Defense module should be improved to prevent a ransomware to stop its services and thus encrypt the machine.

Best Regards.
I hope you believe what you say. I see that you trying to show that your ransomware is unbeatable. I wish my opinion was wrong

stefanos

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 31, 2014
Hi.

He tries to project himself ? :emoji_grimacing:

he doesn't mention his various tools, nor his website, nor the ransomware (he gives no information about it).
Moreover, he has indicated that he will never divulge this ransomware.

Yes, he likes what he does. What's is the problem ?
Who are we to judge others?

He want to prove the security protections aren't fully infallible.
And so give some leads, to a possible correction of these protections

what's wrong with it ?
I confess I don't understand.

cya
If you're a tester fan ... it's not my problem. That he is trying hard to get infected with COMODO shows that what I am saying is not wrong

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
the Self-Defense module should be improved
I agree and I also pointed out the self-defense issue and even a possible protection setting in my first post.

I wouldn't be surprised, when the developer @HeiDef have the time from other projects, he will for sure address not only the service protection but also other necessary updates. But, there is no ETA ( estimated time of arrival ) when that actually will happen.

It's very important when anyone test or use any kind of software ( security in this case ) how regular or not it gets updates. Personal I would never recommend to anyone use a software that is not constantly developed in one way or the other. It dosen't matter how good or bad it's in one or even two tests. That in itself is way too inconclusive and normally that's also one reason why disclaimers always should be used. Even on YouTube if wanted to be taken serious. Tests, can also always be improved.

little boy62

Level 1
Verified
May 29, 2014
If you're a tester fan ... it's not my problem. That he is trying hard to get infected with COMODO shows that what I am saying is not wrong
Sorry, here, you're wrong.

I've never tested his ransomware.
He is the only "tester".

ps : "fan" is pejorative.
What you say makes sense, why use opposite terms?

I could say you're a hater, so. :D

cya

RoxasDev

Level 1
Jul 1, 2017
I agree and I also pointed out the self-defense issue and even a possible protection setting in my first post.

I wouldn't be surprised, when the developer @HeiDef have the time from other projects, he will for sure address not only the service protection but also other necessary updates. But, there is no ETA ( estimated time of arrival ) when that actually will happen.

It's very important when anyone test or use any kind of software ( security in this case ) how regular or not it gets updates. Personal I would never recommend to anyone use a software that is not constantly developed in one way or the other. It dosen't matter how good or bad it's in one or even two tests. That in itself is way too inconclusive and normally that's also one reason why disclaimers always should be used. Even on YouTube if wanted to be taken serious. Tests, can also always be improved.

I agree. A security product must be updated often otherwise it will be exceeded very quickly, malware today is constantly evolving and infection methods are becoming more sophisticated to circumvent the protection modules.

stefanos

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 31, 2014
Sorry, here, you're wrong.

I've never tested his ransomware.
He is the only "tester".

ps : "fan" is pejorative.
What you say makes sense, why use opposite terms?

I could say you're a hater, so. :D

cya
I am not fun or hater. I want to see credible tests.On youtube they are rare. And the only reliable tests are here at MT.

He's the worst tester on youtube this guy. Do not give attention to his tests. He made a ransomware and tries to project himself. It has a test with COMODO. If you look at it, you'll see how bad tester he is

The tests are OK.

I do not ridicule under any circumstances security products, just that the perfect protection does not exist and will never exist, there will always be a way of circumvention even for the most advanced products.

You should know that many people have very deep feelings about these tests. So the mere posting of a video without making a single comment is still sure to upset quite a number of people.

Reactions: [correlate]

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.