Heimdal Pro blocks malwaredomainlist.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

Wave

Good decision, since the list contains domains to malicious URLs and therefore it should be blocked. It'd be a bit dumb not to block it since regardless of it's purpose, it does contain harmful content... After all, malware can utilize the URLs on the site in a Trojan downloader sample or they can redirect you to links from the website also (or to make things better, a malicious URL may use an algorithm to auto-pick a new fresh link from the website and then redirect you to that, making sure you get hit with something fresh, without the author having to re-update the code in the website). :)

eXDj

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Aug 2, 2015
But block only Malware Domain List ...I unchecked from uBlock Origin :(

Last edited:
Reactions: Wave
W

Wave

But block only Malware Domain List ...I unchecked from uBlock Origin :(
I don't know why they may block only MDL and not other malware sharing sources, but whatever the reason, it's beneficial for it to be blocked anyway - especially if you are on your Host system and not working on a dedicated machine for malware analysis or in a virtual environment...

Reactions: eXDj and frogboy
W

Wave

I think I'll return to Adblock Plus ...
Why?

Changing the ad-blocker because one of the new entries is for blocking a domain which genuinely contains harmful (malicious) links... Do you know how silly that sounds?

Reactions: frogboy

eXDj

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Aug 2, 2015
I am disappointed why ublock origin and not adblock plus ?

Reactions: Wave
W

Wave

I am disappointed why ublock origin and not adblock plus ?
I do not know why they do not add the domain, but it's their loss... Why would you move to another product because the one you are currently using is doing it's job?

It's not a myth that uBlock can also block malicious URLs, it's been a feature for a very long time (therefore it's functionality extends out from being just an ad-blocker), I just don't understand why you would move to ABP because uBlock Origin is doing it's job... It literally makes no sense to me, I cannot understand the logic behind it.

If you really want to you can even white list MDL... But you are in control of your system, you can make any of these decisions... Okay then!

Reactions: frogboy

eXDj

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Aug 2, 2015
Heimdal Pro blocks malwaredomainlist.com you understand now ?

W

Wave

Heimdal Pro blocks malwaredomainlist.com you understand now ?
Sorry I misunderstood a little bit, but why is Heimdal Pro blocking MDL a problem? It's just the exact same argument for Heimdal Pro, it doesn't change anything about MDL containing harmful links and it's a good thing that they block the site...

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.