Slyguy

Level 40
Heimdal Foresight does specific things that are important, and not covered by most (if not all) security solutions. Whoever tested it here as mentioned, it actually did pretty good I thought, wasn't it 14 or 16 out of 20? Also, without validating each link for true maliciousness, and vetting of the test I wouldn't pay too much heed to it.

Heimdal business model of free/discounted deals seems to have served them well enough to hire new engineers, hire more support staff and open a second office, and license Avira technology and increase their valuation by quadruple in a couple of years so they seem to be doing something right.

I respect Heimdal's heuristic and ML based traffic scanning for sure. But I really like their DNS protection systems in place. But the most impressive thing I like are their prowling of the dark web forums and dumps to find threats almost nothing else finds, before they quantify them. In testing of the newest, most relevant threats in our labs Heimdal was always in the top 5. For example this is a great ML grab from Heimdal;

Heimdal.png

Also, even utilizing Pi-Hole and other 'lists' you'll often find that if you drill down - up to 40-60% of the sites are no longer active so the lists are essentially obsolete within hours, rarely more than days, but are continuing to be blocked because their curation of them is poor and doesn't factor TLD deprecation. Heimdal is almost always extremely relevant, moreso than other solutions.

The machine above was formatted 48 hours ago, and Heimdal grabbed 22 threats that bypassed a layered security of 4 other solutions. Not bad if I do say, especially since Heimdal also slightly increases DNS resolution speed on a local machine due to the 10,000 IP cache on the encrypted local loopback resolver.

I don't really care about Vigilance at this point, possibly when a lifetime comes out, but it's not really needed by me so I don't pay any mind to it.

Last edited:

Nightwalker

Level 12
Content Creator
Verified
After seeing the image above I am almost sure that Heimdal is using Malwarebytes hpHosts database.

Update - Heimdal renamed, new RC out.

I am not that impressed anymore ...

Edit: So the formula is: Malwarebytes hpHosts database + Local DNS resolver + Something similar to Google Safe Browsing v4 + Software Updater + Heavy fancy Marketing = Thor Foresight/Heimdal Pro ?

Last edited:

Level 3
....All they had to do was honour the customers who were on their top tier premium product,

Do they really expect Heimdal Pro users to pay more for Thor Vig? - Honestly, they know 99% wont & Don't care.

& isn't the additional 'AV' component basically just Avira Free?

Bad Business practices like this have been seen a few times over the last decade, it never works out well for such company.

Kubla

Level 6
After seeing the image above I am almost sure that Heimdal is using Malwarebytes hpHosts database.

Update - Heimdal renamed, new RC out.

I am not that impressed anymore ...

Edit: So the formula is: Malwarebytes hpHosts database + Local DNS resolver + Something similar to Google Safe Browsing v4 + Software Updater + Heavy fancy Marketing = Thor Foresight/Heimdal Pro ?
So instead of research and development, they licensed and incorporated, that won't make for a cutting edge product but should generate some profit.

Reactions: AtlBo and JB007

Kubla

Level 6
I defend the idea that premium is useless. I'm not a fan of heimdal, I had used it for half a year and it seemed good (not excellent). I think it's much more solid Heimdal pro + Kaspersky free.

It is necessary to write so many posts continuously. I think the forum is not Twitter to write 240 characters in 4 post in a row.
I think Premium + Cylance Home will the best paring, premium will cover most what Cylance does not giving you a strong and light solution.

I have 140 days left on my license but I think I will pass on the upgrade and and go with a Gryphon and toss a good DNS on it instead, better protection, no yearly license, and less system resources.

Nightwalker

Level 12
Content Creator
Verified
So instead of research and development, they licensed and incorporated, that won't make for a cutting edge product but should generate some profit.
For now it's just an assumption, but even the false positives are the same of Malwarebytes and the way that Heimdal Pro/Thor Foresight works is very similar to Malwarebytes web protection too (DNS/IP filtering).

Ofcourse I could be wrong here, but there is a big probability that Heimdal isnt that cutting edge and there is more marketing/hype than technology.

Level 3
For now it's just an assumption, but even the false positives are the same of Malwarebytes and the way that Heimdal Pro/Thor Foresight works is very similar to Malwarebytes web protection too (DNS/IP filtering).

Ofcourse I could be wrong here, but there is a big probability that Heimdal isnt that cutting edge and there is more marketing/hype than technology.
I too have noticed eerily similar web/link protection between MalwareBytes Premium & Heimdal Pro so im right there with you with that assumption.

People more knowledgable than me should be able to see if Thor Vig is really just MalwareBytes web protection + Avira free - That would be hilarious, especially with their high price & IMO screwing over Heimdal Pro users out of an upgrade.

D

Deleted member 178

Heimdal/Thor is just hype, nothing new there that deserves any merits...
I didn't buy the fluff when they first appears here few years ago, i still don't buy it.
To me it is unnecessary in any setup.

However i do like their blog articles LOL

Itwt

D

Deleted Member 3a5v73x

To me it can be added in every setup and Heimdal/Thor doesn't add any unnecessary bloat or drag system resources, simply put, just filters in/out system wide traffic, but there's more under that. Application updates can be set to "inform", if you don't want them to be automatically installed. I have never bought Heimdal products, just running perpetually with giveway licenses for almost 2 years. Problem for me is that it's compatible only with Cisco VPN and not others.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kubla

Level 6
To me it can be added in every setup and Heimdal/Thor doesn't add any unnecessary bloat or drag system resources, simply put, just filters in/out system wide traffic, but there's more under that. Application updates can be set to "inform", if you don't want them to be automatically installed. I have never bought Heimdal products, just running perpetually with giveway licenses for almost 2 years. Problem for me is that it's compatible only with Cisco VPN and not others.
Curious; if it is using Malwarebytes web protection, it could be also using OpenDNS for it's traffic filtering thus why it is compatible with Cisco VPN and not others.

Just a thought anyway.

Azure Phoenix

Level 23
Content Creator
Verified

They told me they do not use or are associated with Malwarebytes.

Azure Phoenix

Level 23
Content Creator
Verified
Last edited: