D

Deleted Member 3a5v73x

in this RC there is a button for update ?
Stable and RC builds automatically update/upgrade in the background without user interaction. There is no update button.

I updated to the latest RC and have noticed a TREMENDOUS increase in Heimdal's ability to block malicious websites. So much so, I am inclined to think they are now licensing another technology for Web Filtration. Before, it would mostly be relegated to blocking strange malware or suspicious sites, now it's blocking virtually every malicious and phishing site I throw at it.

Curious.
It's a bit aggresive here. e.g. all bitsdujour loads wrongly. Reported this to Heimdal however.
rc.PNG

D

Deleted Member 3a5v73x

So basically current Heimdal product now is Thor Foresight split into Home and Enterprise versions. Sad about VPN part tho. :emoji_sob:
(Heimdal Security)

Hi, First of all the new names are like this: Thor Vigilance is a new Antivirus module from us, Thor Foresight is the current Heimdal Product. This will have Home and Enterprise version. Now regarding your question for VPN: It is not recommended to use VPN alongside Heimdal. Most VPN clients create an adapter that uses a certain DNS through which the network traffic will be filtered. Heimdal also is a DNS based security software and it will not be able to set its own DNS on that adapter that the VPN client created previously. Thus the Dark Layer Guard (the traffic filtering engine) will not be able to offer the protection environment that promises. It's important to point out that there are some VPNs that do work alongside Heimdal as they allow to add to exclusion certain IPs. One of those VPNs is CISCO and it's only for enterprise usage. In conclusion, Heimdal and VPN clients will not work as they are both DNS based applications. Thank you.

http://www.heimdalsecurity.com/
Also just got an answer about bitsdujour. :confused:
(Heimdal Security)
Hello

Thank you for contacting us.
We have analyzed the website submitted by you and it seems to be compromised, containing malware.

You can see more details here (URLs, Downloaded Files and Files Referring sections):
https://www.virustotal.com/#/domain/download.bitsdujour.com

Knowing the situation, you can access this domain if you remove the domain from the block list. To do so, open Heimdal and click on Activity Reports on the top right side and then go to Websites blocked on the left side and you should see the UNBLOCK button next to the domain. We do not recommend you do that.

http://www.heimdalsecurity.com/

Last edited by a moderator:

Kubla

Level 6
Verified
The RC is very buggy the app crashes if I try to turn on Vectorn Detection, I am going to have to roll it back.

Reactions: AtlBo

Slyguy

Level 42
Verified
The RC is very buggy the app crashes if I try to turn on Vectorn Detection, I am going to have to roll it back.
The latest RC is very stable in my testing. If you have any issues upgrading from the old version you need to do a full uninstall of the existing version, then install the latest RC. Don't try to install overtop of an existing install. My guess, you are still running some of the old drivers with the new version, which won't work. I ran into the same issue on one machine and had to do a clean uninstall, then direct install of the RC version.

https://heimdalqastorage.blob.core.windows.net/setup-back/Heimdal-2.5.130RC.msi

I haven't found any bugs in the latest 2.5.130 RC (yet), they still haven't activated the antivirus part of it (Thor Vigilance), but it appears they are really boosting website detection for the Thor Foresight aspect.

Kubla

Level 6
Verified
The latest RC is very stable in my testing. If you have any issues upgrading from the old version you need to do a full uninstall of the existing version, then install the latest RC. Don't try to install overtop of an existing install. My guess, you are still running some of the old drivers with the new version, which won't work. I ran into the same issue on one machine and had to do a clean uninstall, then direct install of the RC version.

https://heimdalqastorage.blob.core.windows.net/setup-back/Heimdal-2.5.130RC.msi

I haven't found any bugs in the latest 2.5.130 RC (yet), they still haven't activated the antivirus part of it (Thor Vigilance), but it appears they are really boosting website detection for the Thor Foresight aspect.
I just enabled the update to Release Candidate and it upgraded over the older version, I will try the uninstall -re-install approach.

Thanks

Slyguy

Level 42
Verified
Apparently Thor Vigilance will have an Avira's engine. (y)
How refreshing.. I'm kind of tired of everything using Bit Defender. Since Kaspersky is largely being phased out, most firms seem to be looking at ESET, Bit Defender and Avira for licensing.

Will Heimdal Pro transition to Thor with on-demand only or on-demand/Realtime options I wonder? I'm really starting to think my lifetime licenses are going to pay off handsomely.

MeltdownEnemy

Level 6
Verified
Rapid access to stop HEIMDAL Throught new batch file Heimdal.Stop.bat

sc config "Heimdal Client Host" start= disabled
sc config "Heimdal DarkLayer Guard" start= disabled
sc config "Heimdal Uptime Checker" start= disabled
sc config "Heimdal Antivirus" start= disabled
sc stop "Heimdal Antivirus"
sc stop "Heimdal Client Host"
sc stop "Heimdal DarkLayer Guard"
sc stop "Heimdal Uptime Checker"
taskkill /IM Heimdal.Agent.exe /F
taskkill /IM Heimdal.AgentLoader.exe /F
taskkill /IM Heimdal.Antivirus.exe /F
taskkill /IM Heimdal.ThorAgent.exe /F
Exit

Rapid access to reopen or Run HEIMDAL Throught new batch file Heimdal.run.bat
sc config "Heimdal Client Host" start= auto
sc config "Heimdal DarkLayer Guard" start= auto
sc config "Heimdal Uptime Checker" start= auto
sc config "Heimdal Antivirus" start= auto
NET START "Heimdal Client Host"
NET START "Heimdal DarkLayer Guard"
NET START "Heimdal Uptime Checker"
NET START "Heimdal Antivirus"
c:
cd C:\Program Files (x86)\Heimdal
start Heimdal.AgentLoader.exe
NET START "Heimdal Antivirus"
exit

just for manually update.

Kubla

Level 6
Verified
How refreshing.. I'm kind of tired of everything using Bit Defender. Since Kaspersky is largely being phased out, most firms seem to be looking at ESET, Bit Defender and Avira for licensing.

Will Heimdal Pro transition to Thor with on-demand only or on-demand/Realtime options I wonder? I'm really starting to think my lifetime licenses are going to pay off handsomely.
If it can be used real time then using Heimdal in tandem with something like Cylance Home would make a powerful and light protection package, I am liking the prospect.

Nightwalker

Level 17
Verified
Content Creator
How do they manage the HTTPS scanning?
They dont, Heimdal PRO uses a different kind of technique to protect the system.

It uses a local Secure DNS to loopback your connections ...

How does Traffic Filtering work?
When this engine is enabled, Heimdal PRO will apply a filter on the network adapter that will scan for infected websites and other web locations (servers, online ads, etc) that can potentially install malware or be used as gateways for cyber-attacks.
How it works:
  1. Heimdal will change the DNS (Domain Name System) for IPv4 and IPv6.
  • For the IPv4 it will change it from „Obtain DNS server addresses automatically” or from an already set DNS (that will be backed up in a registry) to 127.7.7.x
  • For the IPv6 it will change it to : fe80::b49a:9bef:4249:ac2e
  1. Once the DNS is set, then every web location you access via the Internet will be processed through a database that is set locally on the Heimdal install path. This database is about 15 MB in size and 95% of the websites blocked are located here.
  2. If the website is identified as being infected, Heimdal Pro will block it and will block it and you will see this message:

1. If the website is not blocked after being processed through the local database it will pass there is a second step. The website will be parsed through another database, in the cloud (about 6GB in size) where it will be checked again. If it’s found to be malicious, Heimdal PRO will block it. If it’s safe, you’ll just be able to see the website/banner normally.

Note: All this filtering process takes place in milliseconds and will not affect your internet connection speed.

Azure

Level 24
Verified
Content Creator