App Review Heimdal Thor Premium vs Ransomware (Juan Diaz)

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

spaceoctopus

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 13, 2014
Finally some test about Heimdal! It did quite a good job, until the last Ransomware. For such a new product it's not bad at all. The product is pretty well matured now.

The only deal breaker for me about this product, is that Thor Foresight doesn't work well with Vpns. It would have been a wonderful addition in a light security setup with Vpn.

RoboMan

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Finally some test about Heimdal! It did quite a good job, until the last Ransomware. For such a new product it's not bad at all. The product is pretty well matured now.

The only deal breaker for me about this product, is that Thor Foresight doesn't work well with Vpns. It would have been a wonderful addition in a light security setup with Vpn.
I agree.

Nevertheless, can we truly assume a product did a "good job" if it only failed one out of X samples? After all, that still means an infection when you go to sleep. Same applies to "this product has a 95% detection rate". If that 5% is gonna encrypt your files, what good makes it catches the rest? :)

spaceoctopus

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 13, 2014
I agree.

Nevertheless, can we truly assume a product did a "good job" if it only failed one out of X samples? After all, that still means an infection when you go to sleep. Same applies to "this product has a 95% detection rate". If that 5% is gonna encrypt your files, what good makes it catches the rest? :)
It depends from which perspective you look at it. In some real world situation, it is definitely a big fail. But on a comparison point with other products, you can say that it did quite well.

Windows_Security

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 13, 2016
Insufficient right to execute, seems like a build-in Windows Defence. Although Smart to use it (by Heimdal), wondering what would happen when you remove the mark of the web block.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.