Hey, I’m ___ and from
North America
Age group
41 - 50
Last known PC infection

Mendel71

Thread author
Jul 5, 2019
Newbie with a problem, (many actually, but only one for this group-lol). I just contracted a fake technical help screen it is red and says it is from Microsoft Edge. They claim that they need my account name and password and also I can take care of this by calling an 844 number. I just shutdown and reboot. Eventually it comes back again. Does anyone know how to get rid of it? It freezes up my screen. I have run Windows defender and Avast Premium, but they are not finding it. I am running Windows 10. Thanks for your time and any help you may provide.

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
Welcome Mendel71.

A quick initial approach--

-Scan with Malwarebytes Free, delete any finds
-Scan with Adwcleaner Free (also from Malwarebytes)

If those don't find and delete the issue, scan with..
-Norton Power Eraser (Free)

If none of that works, open up a ticket with @TwinHeadedEagle in the malware removal section of MT. He can guide you through the steps to clean malware.

And don't forget to buy him a beer. :emoji_beer:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.