Advice Request Help Formatting Ext. HDD

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHomes

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jul 7, 2016
Hello Meatbags,

I have a 2 TB Ext HDD that has a lot of content on it, now I'm realizing I gave it the wrong format. Ugh right?

I need to re-format but I'm worried I'll lose all of my data. Is there a tool or procedure to preserve the data while reformatting or even just putting it back on.

My plan (for now) is to zip everything, put zip file on dekstop and reformat, then unzip but that's going to be a lot of work and time. Any recommendations?

LASER_oneXM

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 4, 2016
I need to re-format but I'm worried I'll lose all of my data.

....you don't have any other (full) backups of you drive ? Then i would say: reformatting could be very risky.... .
In this case i would suggest: simply buy another ext. drive (or even two) and (before reformating) copy the entire drive to the new disk(s)....

I'm also storing all my data (music, films,documets, pictures, etc.) on a external drive (2TB). But i'm frequently
making backups of this drive to two other separate external drives.

Amelith Nargothrond

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 22, 2017
No other option i'm afraid. You have to copy your data somewhere else, format, then copy back your data to the reformatted external hard drive. You can try TeraCopy (it has a free version), i use it all the time.

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
I know, but that's the safest option. Chose to copy your data instead of moving them (cut). It will be faster if temporarily disable your real time protection while transferring.
Spot on, and what I would do in his situation, he's gonna mess around with one of those other tools and
there is a good chance he will loose his data. ;)

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I do, but I'm using 1.4 GB of that 2, so it's gonna be a hefty data transfer.
1.4GB compared to 2TB is miniscule, it shouldn't take long with USB 3 and Battery set to High Performance (Laptop).

Backup your backup.
You haven't a lot to lose, so a complete wipe using Windows Disk Management tool.

How did you manage to get the incorrect disk format in the first place, and not notice you were not getting 2TB?

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Use a certain backup application which you can assigned the files and folders to be transfer off, in that case no interruption should occur and will use the maximum read and write speed as possible.

Avoid multi-task on that part.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.