Upendra19

Level 3
I am trying to install Linux Mint 20 on my old laptop which isn't in use since last 5-6 months. But I was stuck on Linux mint logo after selecting Try Linux Mint. I tried to boot in compatibility mode and I am watching error log on display. I think they are related to HDD but I am not sure. Can you guys tell me what is the problem exactly? Thanks in advanced.
Here are images...
Booting in with Try linux mint
Booting in general with option Try Linux Mint.jpg

Booting with compatibility mode
Booting in compatibility mode-min.jpg

rockstarrocks

Level 21
Verified
I am trying to install Linux Mint 20 on my old laptop which isn't in use since last 5-6 months. But I was stuck on Linux mint logo after selecting Try Linux Mint. I tried to boot in compatibility mode and I am watching error log on display. I think they are related to HDD but I am not sure. Can you guys tell me what is the problem exactly? Thanks in advanced.
Here are images...
Booting in with Try linux mint
View attachment 244808

Booting with compatibility mode
View attachment 244809
If you are booting from USB then it won't care about HDD at all. ISO file of Linux Mint might be corrupted, did you do a hash check on it after downloading?

sepik

Level 7
Hello,
Some Bioses does have Smart Monitoring feature. Check yours.
Do you have bootable windows installation media? If so, you can use that to get command prompt(press shift+f10 in windows setup screen).
In command prompt, type: wmic diskdrive get status
If the status is OK then the HDD should be working.

Kind regards,
-sepik

rockstarrocks

Level 21
Verified
I confirmed, file is not currupt and I could boot home PC with this linux mint usb drive.
While copying something could go wrong, it happens sometimes. Try to make live USB one more time using this tool (it's recommended by Linux Mint Website).

Last edited:

Upendra19

Level 3
Hello,
Some Bioses does have Smart Monitoring feature. Check yours.
Do you have bootable windows installation media? If so, you can use that to get command prompt(press shift+f10 in windows setup screen).
In command prompt, type: wmic diskdrive get status
If the status is OK then the HDD should be working.

Kind regards,
-sepik
Tried to boot Windows 10 installation media but no luck.
While copying something could go wrong, it happens sometimes. Try to make live USB one more time using this tool (it's recommended by Linux Mint Website).
Tried again with balenaetcher too but still same situation. I think @sepik is right something is wrong with hardware. I also tried Hiren's boot CD but no luck. But i don't understand if problem is with HDD then why I can't boot with usb?

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Trusted
Content Creator
Does the BIOS support EFI? If so, when you see those choices in BIOS about what to boot from, make sure you choose the EFI partition on your USB. My BIOS shows both EFI partitions and non-EFI, but EFI is the right choice for booting purposes.
Also, make sure you turn off "secure boot", unless Mint supports it. Most linux distros do not support "secure boot."

sepik

Level 7
Do you have Hiren's Boot CD v15.2? You should be able to boot with that, even if HDD is failing.
The cd has some smart tools, like crystaldiskinfo, HDtune etc that can read smart parameters.
Remember that your HDD needs to support SMART features, otherwise those programs does not work.

Kind regards,
-sepik

Upendra19

Level 3
Do you have Hiren's Boot CD v15.2? You should be able to boot with that, even if HDD is failing.
The cd has some smart tools, like crystaldiskinfo, HDtune etc that can read smart parameters.
Remember that your HDD needs to support SMART features, otherwise those programs does not work.

Kind regards,
-sepik
When i boot HBCD, It saysNot enough ramdisk available and stuck on error screen.

sepik

Level 7
Try this rescue cd: Anhdv Rescue CD
Download from Onedrive, password to extract archive: anhdvboot.com
Burn to USB using Rufus. I used MBR partition scheme. I've just tested it and it's working.

Another one is to try Hiren's Boot CD PE X64 edition, download Here

Kind regards,
-sepik