JB007

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 19, 2016
Hello,
Currently I'm using an home desktop for my private tasks, accounting, bank accounts, internet shopping, personal memories (photos, videos ...), watching movies, listening music and also for gaming.
Due to changes in my privacy I need a laptop to be able to enjoy these same functions wherever I go.
What I search is a laptop with great gaming abilities because the other tasks are usual for almost all the laptops.
Till today I never use this kind of laptop, only laptops for my work.
I would like to choose from the following brands: DELL, HP, ASUS, MSI
The important criteria for me are at least 16 Go of Memory, processor speed, audio quality, silence during intensive gaming, reliability, guarantee and after sale service.
My budget is 3 K € or a little more; of course less is better ;)
Thanks in advance for your help.

Last edited:

DJ Panda

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 30, 2015
I'm not sure if you have a Costco membership but I got my gaming laptop from there. The warranty is very good and the builds of the computers they have suit my gaming needs.

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Intel's Ice Lake processors are just out now, but if not, a Coffee Lake i7 with mobile NVIDIA RTX 2060/2070 and 500 GB or 1 TB NVM-e drive with a 15.6 screen is awesome. Did you see this link already for the various combinations?
Your budget says you can even consider a custom laptop. Cooling pad is suggested and an external drive enclosure for offline storage are recommended. That's what I have so that the hard drives are not inside the machine, taking up room and possibly trapping heat.

Choices for graphics: let's say: mobile NVIDIA 2070 RTX versus 1660ti for example. You can see here the quality:

AMD--don't know much of anything about its counterparts to Intel, only that it's less costly, sometimes way less.

JB007

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 19, 2016
Hello
Thanks @DJ Panda and @plat1098 for your explanations.
I don't know "Costco".
Digital Storm seems very interesting but It is US based and I live in France...
Is a cooling pad necessary and is it noisy ? What is the best choice ?

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
I'd suggest Legion Y740 whichever fits your budget with RTX 2060 non MAX Q.
Do keep in mind that gaming laptops has shorter lifespan in terms of SW and driver support say 2 years. So, spend less on RAM,SSD and look at GPU and screen which will help in giving more resale value.
If you want reliability, look at Business grade laptop with TB3 port which can take eGPU like Thinkpad,Dell Precision or HP Probook(Even 7th gen, 8th gen CPU will do for gaming at 120-144Hz gaming).

JB007

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 19, 2016
I'd suggest Legion Y740 whichever fits your budget with RTX 2060 non MAX Q.
Do keep in mind that gaming laptops has shorter lifespan in terms of SW and driver support say 2 years. So, spend less on RAM,SSD and look at GPU and screen which will help in giving more resale value.
If you want reliability, look at Business grade laptop with TB3 port which can take eGPU like Thinkpad,Dell Precision or HP Probook(Even 7th gen, 8th gen CPU will do for gaming at 120-144Hz gaming).
Thanks @Vasudev
Nice laptop but what are the last news of Lenovo « Superfish » ?

F

ForgottenSeer 76546

It looks good and has a better CPU but less storage.
Both are a good buy, but I think the msi has better value.
Edit: HP Omen review Msi GE75 review ( the reviews are with a rtx 2070)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: JB007

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
Thanks @Vasudev
Nice laptop but what are the last news of Lenovo « Superfish » ?
I think its not used anymore and lenovo shipped a tool to disable it completely!
I think you were confused by Intel MEI minix module, correct? It has much more precise control over entire hardware for easy spying for govts.

Reactions: JB007

JB007

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 19, 2016
I think its not used anymore and lenovo shipped a tool to disable it completely!
I think you were confused by Intel MEI minix module, correct? It has much more precise control over entire hardware for easy spying for govts.
You are right @Vasudev ;)

Reactions: Vasudev

JB007

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 19, 2016
Hello @Vasudev
Just reading thishttps://malwaretips.com/threads/lenovo-high-severity-bug-found-in-pre-installed-software.94562/ :unsure:

JB007

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 19, 2016
Hello,
I found this "Dell Alienware area 51M" (Ordinateur portable de gaming Alienware Area-51m 17 pouces avec processeur graphique NVIDIA | Dell France) and it is very interesting for me with his Processor Intel® Core™ i9-9900K (2nd classified here UserBenchmark: Intel Core i9-9900K BX80684I99900K).
What do you think about it ?
Actually there is a 14% discount till 28 August.
I don't know what is the difference between every hard drive ? Can you help me to choose the fastest ?
Thanks in advance.

SINGLE DRIVE
Disque SSD M.2 PCIe de 1 To
+ 300,00 €
DUAL DRIVE
236Go RAID0 (2 disques SSD M.2 Optane 118Go)
+ 150,00 €
Disque SSD Intel Optane 118 Go + disque hybride 1 To (+ disque SSD hybride 8 Go)
Inclus dans le prix
Disque SSD PCIe M.2 512 Go + disque hybride 1 To (+ disque SSD hybride 8 Go)
+ 50,01 €
1To RAID0 (2 disques SSD PCIe M.2 512Go)
+ 200,01 €
2To RAID0 (2 disques SSD PCIe M.2 1To)
+ 750,00 €
TRIPLE DRIVE
2To RAID0 (2 disques SSD PCIe M.2 1To) + disque hybride 1To (+ disque SSD hybride 8Go)
+ 800,01 €
236Go RAID0 (2 disques SSD M.2 Optane 118Go) + disque hybride 1To (+ disque SSD hybride 8Go)
+ 200,01 €
1To RAID0 (2 disques SSD PCIe M.2 512Go) + disque hybride 1To (+ disque SSD hybride 8Go)

+ 250,01 €

Reactions: stefanos

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
I suggest you read this review and see if you can live with the + and - points:

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
Hello,
I found this "Dell Alienware area 51M" (Ordinateur portable de gaming Alienware Area-51m 17 pouces avec processeur graphique NVIDIA | Dell France) and it is very interesting for me with his Processor Intel® Core™ i9-9900K (2nd classified here UserBenchmark: Intel Core i9-9900K BX80684I99900K).
What do you think about it ?
Actually there is a 14% discount till 28 August.
I don't know what is the difference between every hard drive ? Can you help me to choose the fastest ?
Thanks in advance.

SINGLE DRIVE
Disque SSD M.2 PCIe de 1 To
+ INR 23,936
DUAL DRIVE
236Go RAID0 (2 disques SSD M.2 Optane 118Go)
+ INR 11,968
Disque SSD Intel Optane 118 Go + disque hybride 1 To (+ disque SSD hybride 8 Go)
Inclus dans le prix
Disque SSD PCIe M.2 512 Go + disque hybride 1 To (+ disque SSD hybride 8 Go)
+ INR 3,990
1To RAID0 (2 disques SSD PCIe M.2 512Go)
+ INR 15,958
2To RAID0 (2 disques SSD PCIe M.2 1To)
+ INR 59,839
TRIPLE DRIVE
2To RAID0 (2 disques SSD PCIe M.2 1To) + disque hybride 1To (+ disque SSD hybride 8Go)
+ INR 63,829
236Go RAID0 (2 disques SSD M.2 Optane 118Go) + disque hybride 1To (+ disque SSD hybride 8Go)
+ INR 15,958
1To RAID0 (2 disques SSD PCIe M.2 512Go) + disque hybride 1To (+ disque SSD hybride 8Go)

+ INR 19,947
I'd be honest with you. Don't buy that because its a ticking bomb and inventory may have faulty mobo or dGPU.
Even mine which is nearly 4 y.o is a ticking bomb after a guy or two had same issues say White smoke coming from bottom vents and mobo was fried even though it was idle. That's the reason I don't take it with me and rely on my old broken laptop from lenovo.
They've issues with FW, hardware and what not!
Follow this thread closely! *OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge
You can tag Papusan using @. Don't be fooled by superior hardware because its restricted via SW to under-perform. Its not a rant!

JB007

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 19, 2016
I suggest you read this review and see if you can live with the + and - points:

Thanks @Gandalf_The_Grey.
This review is awesome and shows a lot of flaws.

I'd be honest with you. Don't buy that because its a ticking bomb and inventory may have faulty mobo or dGPU.
Even mine which is nearly 4 y.o is a ticking bomb after a guy or two had same issues say White smoke coming from bottom vents and mobo was fried even though it was idle. That's the reason I don't take it with me and rely on my old broken laptop from lenovo.
They've issues with FW, hardware and what not!
Follow this thread closely! *OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge
You can tag Papusan using @. Don't be fooled by superior hardware because its restricted via SW to under-perform. Its not a rant!

Thanks @Vasudev
I think you are right and also thanks for the link.

Devilboss94

Level 1
Apr 16, 2020
I can only advise you the Asus Rog Strix Scar 2
In configuration:
I7 8750h
Gtx 1060
A real monster at a low price, mine has been up for 2 years and it's going great (i have the version with i5), never stumbling blocks and excellent performances.
Asus excellent build quality.
Excellent gaming performance, for example playing doom eternal in maximum (ultra) settings I always have over 70 fps.

Reactions: JB007 and Vasudev

SumTingWong

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
Dell
MSI
ASUS
HP

I don't recommend HP because I have used a lot of HP products in the past and all of them are pos(piece of sh*t). My 3 years old HP printer which I don't use often is about to give up out of nowhere. HP stands for Horrible Product from my point of view. ASUS is not bad, but ASUS now is not the ASUS I know in the past that they are very good in quality department. MSI is a big no no in the past, but now they are very good in quality department and kinda much better than ASUS.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.