Advice Request Help to choose hardware for my new PC

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

apaul

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Sep 12, 2013
Friends I am going to configure my new PC with following parts
MOTHERBOARD: Gigabyte z370 hd3
PROCESSIOR: i5 7400
RAM: 4 gb corsir
SSD: 240 gb
SMPS: Cooler master
HDD : 1TB
I will use this PC for light gaming. I also run heavy programmes like adobe premiere pro.
Please help me to choose proper hardware. Your recommendation to change any part will be highly appreciated.
(Sorry for my bad english)

redsworn

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Dec 6, 2017
Honestly, I will never pair a Z series motherboard with non-K processor. It would be a waste. Well, unless you can get it for a very good price. Also, we would be able to offer better help if you can tell us your budget.

Reactions: amico81
F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Friends I am going to configure my new PC with following parts
MOTHERBOARD: Gigabyte z370 hd3
PROCESSIOR: i5 7400
RAM: 4 gb corsir
SSD: 240 gb
SMPS: Cooler master
HDD : 1TB
I will use this PC for light gaming. I also run heavy programmes like adobe premiere pro.
Please help me to choose proper hardware. Your recommendation to change any part will be highly appreciated.
(Sorry for my bad english)

Anything but intel. Please use Ryzen. Especially after all of the bad Intel news lately and the strong performance per dollar of Ryzen, it makes almost no sense to go with Intel.

Where's the video card? Certainly not AMD I hope. 1060 minimum, preferably 1070 for light gaming.

4GB is a horrible idea. 8GB is minimum in 2018 (bare minimum)

Ditch the HDD, go with a NVME/m.2 drive rather than SSD+HD combo.

As Bora says, I cannot stress enough to use a very good PSU. You'll be thankful for that. No Bronze.

lowdetection

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
Just having Chromium open, with some other things into background bro:

5jB0Uv.png

I will increase the RAM for sure...

Let's do a test, with Crash Bandicoot opened:

nAhCj7.png

Reactions: ForgottenSeer 58943
L

Local Host

Just having Chromium open, with some other things into background bro:

5jB0Uv.png

I will increase the RAM for sure...

Let's do a test, with Crash Bandicoot opened:

nAhCj7.png
That's hardly a benchmark and accurate, as Chrome and many others programs will use as much memory as they can, meaning if you had 4GB of RAM, it wouldn't use 3.5GB of RAM.

For Adobe and Games he'll need 8GB of RAM minimum either way.

A GTX 1060 would do as GPU as well.

That CPU though, not worth it, for Adobe? You want a Rysen 2600 will crush anything you throw at it (unless you looking to game at +100FPS).

lowdetection

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
Is called case-scenario...

There is also a so called best-case scenario: where people respect other opinions, and help each other...

And a worst case-scenario: where people are only able to remark other opinions, this last one is pretty common lately on this forum...

:eek:

Remember the forum name...is malwaretips, tip (noun) definition and synonyms | Macmillan Dictionary

so explain me why my tip, given with the context that I specified the total amount of RAM from the image, and the usage of programs, need to be remarked?

If I need to understand more about the memory and how is handled, I will go read some books or Chromium project documentation.

Last edited:

Digerati

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Mar 2, 2017
I recommend bumping up the SSD to 500Gb and use that for Windows and all your programs and data. And if the budget allows and you need a second drive for mass storage, try going with another SSD.

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
I recommend bumping up the SSD to 500Gb and use that for Windows and all your programs and data.

The user will have a 1 TB secondary drive. All that needs to be done is to make sure Adobe stores all the temp files on that drive (it will usually allocate like ~80GB for project files- certainly not something you want to do on a Boot OS SSD).

I

illumination

Definetely go with 8th generation of Core i5. For example i5 8400, it has more cores for similar price and it will be future proof. Get at least 8gb of RAM if you wa t to play with Adobe Premiere.
Try getting quality power PSU
Nice recommendation. I have not looked into 8th generation yet, still running 2nd generation...lol
For what OP is doing, that is enough processing power...

Reactions: harlan4096

apaul

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Sep 12, 2013
Thanks for help
My budget is up to 725 doller (50000₹).
1. I will go for 8 GB or 16 GB RAM
2. I will include PSU and Video Card
(Please recommend with specific model because I don't have any idea in hardware section)
3. I am confused between i5 8400 or any equivalent AMD processor.
(Please help to choose the right one)

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Thanks for help
1. I will go for 8 GB or 16 GB RAM
2. I will include PSU and Video Card
(Please recommend with specific model because I don't have any idea in hardware section)
3. I am confused between i5 8400 or any equivalent AMD processor.
(Please help to choose the right one)

Ryzen 5 2600x is going to cost the same as the 8400, but outperform it in almost every way. Plus, Intel probably isn't a good idea right now.

UserBenchmark: AMD Ryzen 5 2600X vs Intel Core i5-8400

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
Yo, Yo... I've been building systems since I put down Dolls when I was 12 years old, and would like to give the following advise:

1). GPU- not being a gamer I can't speak intelligently on the choice of video cards
2). CPU- if possible, I would WAIT a few months before buying. AMD will be putting out their Zen 2 CPU (based on the 7nm process) in a few months. This will result in a BIG DECREASE IN PRICE for previous AMD CPU's as well as current Intel CPU's (since Intel is running scared and does not want to give up market share).
3). Go with whatever Gigabyte or MSI motherboard that fits your needs.
4). From what use you have, you will only need a sub 500 watt Power Supply. I would suggest this one:

Seasonic FOCUS series SSR-450FM 450W 80 + Gold Power Supply, Semi-Modular, ATX12V/EPS12V, Compact 140 mm Size, 7 yr warranty - Newegg.com

It is cheap, efficient, and quiet. CoolerMaster PS's are fine (I have one) but the fans are loud- For mine, I had to remove the stock fans and solder in Nexus replacements. Not an easy task (unless you are a Girl).

5). Go with 16gig of RAM. Trust me.

Last edited:

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
I've created a system build for you, but since you are in India, the prices may differ so you can cut some corners with having SATA SSD instead of NVMe SSD and you can save 20$ or more. Also, you can save a few bucks choosing another cabinet.

Here is AMD build
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4GHz 6-Core Processor ($165.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - B450M DS3H Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($69.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2666 Memory ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung - 970 Evo 250GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($107.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($43.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: MSI - GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB Video Card ($139.99 @ B&H)
Case: Thermaltake - View 22 Tempered Glass Edition ATX Mid Tower Case ($44.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($69.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $722.72
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-08-10 03:47 EDT-0400

This hardware combo is probably one of the best you can have for the work you will do.

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
@BoraMurdar list is fine assuming that ram is samsung b-die(i think it is). If you want to save some money or get more ssd space look for ADATA - XPG SX8200. Pretty good ssd and nice pricing.
About gpu you don't mention which games so i can't say if the 1050ti is fine or not but it's an average gpu.

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
list is fine assuming that ram is samsung b-die(i think it is).
It is
If you want to save some money or get more ssd space look for ADATA - XPG SX8200. Pretty good ssd and nice pricing.
I know ADATA is rare in SouthEastern Europe and some parts of Asia , so I recommended the SSD that's easier to find, however there are good alternatives also. If you ask me, I would go with WD Black.
About gpu you don't mention which games so i can't say if the 1050ti is fine or not but it's an average gpu.
GPU will do just fine for gaming on medium/high settings on 1080p as most modern titles will hit 50+ FPS. Considering Ryzen is a little slower than Core, I think that the member's "light gaming" will be totally satisfied with this card.

AEJsUlNg.jpg

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
light gaming > older games> single core, but ryzen will do and have performance to run abobe, edit tools etc along with it. Intel could be solution with specific games like world of warcraft, but multicore is the future

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.