Help with More security & Antivirus Plz

ImtheBest

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Oct 6, 2013
Hi All here at MT

I wanted some help on Getting More secure on my PC. Any Other things that anybody can think of to App wise can help me also.

I recently reformatted my PC like 2mouths ago as stated in another post i made.

Thank U

Currently using: Ad-aware Pro security Version 11.1.5354.0

Here's My PC Specs

Operating System
Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center 64-bit
CPU
Intel Core i7 2600K @ 3.40GHz 30 °C
Sandy Bridge 32nm Technology
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus - CPU Cooler with 4 Direct Contact Heatpipes
RAM
8.00GB Single-Channel DDR3 @ 665MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard
Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. P67A-UD4-B3 (Socket 1155) 19 °C
Graphics
IPS225 (1920x1080@60Hz)
1023MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti (NVIDIA) 33 °C
Storage
1863GB Western Digital WDC WD20EARX-00PASB0 ATA Device (SATA)
Optical Drives
ASUS DRW-24B3ST c ATA Device
Audio
Realtek High Definition Audio

I

illumination

Windows 8.1 stock security is actually pretty decent, it really depends on what you are using the system for, which by the looks of the config above, is not just surfing ;)

ImtheBest

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Oct 6, 2013
yeah i use my PC for gaming,music,movies,like to find cool apps too if u know any that's banging too :)

Upgrading My Case i have from Antec DF-85 Black Steel to Corsair Obsidian 750D also getting water-cooling Corsair H100i

I

illumination

yeah i use my PC for gaming,music,movies,like to find cool apps too if u know any that's banging too :)

Upgrading My Case i have from Antec DF-85 Black Steel to Corsair Obsidian 750D also getting water-cooling Corsair H100i

I do not play with the apps much, but personally, i would recommend using windows built in security with a couple on demands as back up, as well as having back up for your system, and that way, you will be freed up to do those listed things above uninhibited.

ImtheBest

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Oct 6, 2013
ok
i would recommend using windows built in security
instead of Ad-aware. ok what is the built in security i should use
and what on demands should i use thats very good

I

illumination

ok [QUOTEi would recommend using windows built in security]
instead of Ad-aware. ok what is the built in security i should use
and what on demands should i use thats very good[/quote]

on windows 8.1, just windows firewall and windows defender.. you also have smart screen built in, and the UAC, all combined do a decent job..

as far as on demands, Malwarebytes free and hitman pro

ImtheBest

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Oct 6, 2013
I don't like your plan i Highly disagree with u using just the basics. I Was after something better then what i had illumination

If i stick to your plan u and everybody here would be able to get in my PC :confused:

I

illumination

I don't like your plan i Highly disagree with u using just the basics. I Was after something better then what i had illumination

If i stick to your plan u and everybody here would be able to get in my PC :confused:

I think you underestimate windows 8.1 protection now days. Of course this takes a little common sense to run as well..

Reactions: Ink

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Deploying my retaliation response: How about Comodo Internet Security Premium + Emsisoft Anti-Malware + Webroot SecureAnywhere + Sandboxie?

Y

yigido

Antivirus : Avira Free , Qihoo 360.. these are best for signatures and detections
Firewall : Comodo Firewall , Online Armor.. or Windows firewall is enough above AV's
Anti-Keylogger : Zemana Free
On demand : MBAM Free , Hitman Pro , CCE
UAC : of course enabled ;)

Browser : Firefox with Adblockplus and HTTPS Everywhere

select your suite. If you want more, it becomes more paranoid

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011
With a system that souped up I would recommend Kaspersky Internet Security if you want to pay for something. Emsisoft is tight as heck too. F-Secure and ESET are wonderful options. If not, then go with CIS Premium and Sandboxie Free, which are free of charge. If you utilize the latter I recommend that you opt out of GEEK BUDDY, and do not use the virtualization/kiosk aspects of CIS. CIS can be a bit tricky to set up, but there are several of us that can help you. I suppose that you could utilize the virtual Kiosk aspect and maybe have a virtual environment within a virtual environment if your browser is sandboxed with Sandboxie simultaneously.

Y

yigido

With a system that souped up I would recommend Kaspersky Internet Security if you want to pay for something. Emsisoft is tight as heck too. F-Secure and ESET are wonderful options. If not, then go with CIS Premium and Sandboxie Free, which are free of charge. If you utilize the latter I recommend that you opt out of GEEK BUDDY, and do not use the virtualization/kiosk aspects of CIS. CIS can be a bit tricky to set up, but there are several of us that can help you.
Yes we are here. if you want CIS ? ;)

Reactions: Gnosis

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011
eploying my retaliation response: How about Comodo Internet Security Premium + Emsisoft Anti-Malware + Webroot SecureAnywhere + Sandboxie?

That is interesting. Kill the firewall on WSA and let Comodo's FW do the trick. Kill the web filter on WSA as well.

ImtheBest

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Oct 6, 2013
illumination
I think you underestimate windows 8.1 protection now days. Of course this takes a little common sense to run as well..
Well no common sense its in everyday Windows OS. My friend when u get attack the good basics are going to stop it. Go take your PC in to Tech Guy your PC is choking on malware.hahahaha

Earth: Really was this a serous answer 1. CIS I would use probably on my other HDD Win 7 x64. 2 No Emsisoft Anti-Malware not a chance PC hog slow down as ive heard in threads here. 3 yes i would use this with TF as a friend has it i know.

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011
I seriously have not literally gut-laughed out loud in a long, long time until I just read that last post. I think we call that "distinctive posting". "Last post" is invisible now, I see.

ImtheBest

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Oct 6, 2013
So right now guys i I'm using Ad-Aware as i posted is it not that great should i use something else. Does ad-Aware cause slow downs at all.

I would go with CIS although i'm not to sure if i will get a blue screen from GBA family Ethernet controller. As when i tried to install it in my dads computer thats what i got and pointed to that in forums. But my motherboard is a lot newer to hes so it might work.

Also can i use sandboxie now with adware i have never used this program before and do not know what it does can somebody help me on this please

Sorry Earth
I was :confused:on what to make of what u put

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011
Sandboxie is fine with just about anything as far as I know. Ad-Aware is just not that popular around here and we have some really sharp minds, though opinions will vary.
Maybe you want something simple? Like Avast Free Editon and Sandboxie Free. That will keep you in pretty darn good shape. I hear that Private Firewall is really good if you want a third party firewall to complement those two that I recommended.

ImtheBest

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Oct 6, 2013
I 'm not an avast person m8 Sorry hat that girl that popups for updates. Don't know if shes in the new one but i have tried avast free not my cup of tea

If only She could come out of the BOX and on to my door step I'll have something for her:p

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.