Here’s How to Protect Your Privacy From Your Internet Service Provider

Winter Soldier

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
Protect our online privacy and, more in general, our digital life is a fundamental right.
For those who do not care about this, here's a quote from E. Snowden:

“People who say they don’t care about privacy because they have got nothing to hide have not thought too deeply about these issues. What they are really saying is I do not care about this right. When you say I don’t care about the right to privacy because I have nothing to hide, that is no different than saying I don’t care about freedom of speech because I have nothing to say or freedom of the press because I have nothing to write.”

Amelith Nargothrond

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 22, 2017
I don't care as long as they are not abusing, i always say.

But let's define "abusing":
  • they don't sell my stuff to others in order to make money for themselves
  • they don't use my stuff in order to spam me, to track me and to make my stuff available to the public
  • this is a very sensitive and deeply personal scenario: would you agree that the government/law enforcement agencies use private data to find the man/woman who murdered your relative in cold blood?
The thing is what people really want is to control their private stuff and (maybe) they agree to be collected by others only when in their best interest. When it's not, they do not agree. It's a very fine line between trust and abuse, and very difficult to be impartial in most cases.
But people don;t trust anybody these days, so everything seems like an abuse. And in many cases they are, maybe in most cases.

No matter what they collect, what they use afterwards, somebody will always get to suffer. Who decides based on what facts who gets the suffering?

Deletedmessiah

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 16, 2017
I don't care as long as they are not abusing, i always say.

But let's define "abusing":
  • they don't sell my stuff to others in order to make money for themselves
  • they don't use my stuff in order to spam me, to track me and to make my stuff available to the public
  • this is a very sensitive and deeply personal scenario: would you agree that the government/law enforcement agencies use private data to find the man/woman who murdered your relative in cold blood?
The thing is what people really want is to control their private stuff and (maybe) they agree to be collected by others only when in their best interest. When it's not, they do not agree. It's a very fine line between trust and abuse, and very difficult to be impartial in most cases.
But people don;t trust anybody these days, so everything seems like an abuse. And in many cases they are, maybe in most cases.

No matter what they collect, what they use afterwards, somebody will always get to suffer. Who decides based on what facts who gets the suffering?
And many times people "agree" to be collected because they don't read 20 pages long EULA and terms of services.

BugCode

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jan 9, 2017
What makes world this kind? "Do not trust anybody-thing." Without those individual's advocate like E.S. That makes and not make me wonder why people don't trust even own shadow anymore! There really don't are normally people any power to speech! It's just a blow with a wind! Those who got the money and power don't listen nor care individuals! No human rights anymore or it had been long time that way, but when E.S puplish that thing it rose to flower.

Last edited:

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
This is just the beginning, other countries will follow.
I'm waiting for it to happen in the UK so I can get my money's worth out of my VPN by keeping it on 24/7. Preferably after my NordVPN subscription runs out in June because it's bloody awful.
ISPs are already obligated by law to store all internet activity for 12 months (in the name of national security :rolleyes:) so I've no doubt it's only a matter of time.

Amelith Nargothrond

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 22, 2017
And many times people "agree" to be collected because they don't read 20 pages long EULA and terms of services.

They should read them. They shouldn't agree with them if something smells fishy... Those EULAs are there to protect mostly the companies, if you don't like them... don't agree.

This is the world we are living in unfortunately... I don't like it, but i really need to use software for example, and for this to happen, they force me to agree with everything they do, everything they collect...

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
They should read them. They shouldn't agree with them if something smells fishy... Those EULAs are there to protect mostly the companies, if you don't like them... don't agree.

This is the world we are living in unfortunately... I don't like it, but i really need to use software for example, and for this to happen, they force me to agree with everything they do, everything they collect...
The problem is EULAs are pretty much designed to obfuscate the general public. They're long and filled with completely incomprehensible nonsense that only lawyers can fully understand. I generally skim through the privacy policy of any software I plan on installing but expecting anybody to read through an entire EULA before installing software is completely unreasonable, and software developers know this and stick nasty little clauses like data collection in there because they know nobody actually reads them.

I think it was Mikko Hyppönen (of F-Secure fame) who said: “The biggest lie on the internet is ‘I have read and agree to the terms and conditions’”

Last edited:

Vipersd

Level 6
Verified
Dec 14, 2014
How about this, if they sell my browsing history then I wan't at least half of the money. :p

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.