Here Are the Apps Offering the Best Virus Protection for Windows 8.1

Is Kaspersky Internet Security the "best" security product for Windows?

• Yes

Votes: 11 25.6%
  • No

Votes: 32 74.4%

• Total voters

spaceoctopus

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 13, 2014
Contradictions concerning performance does not concern only Panda. Just compare the performance of Bitdefender Internet security and Avast Free :confused: Bitdefender is an excellent product, but there is no way it's lighter on resources than Avast free. Except if you have an outdated system, or lack some essential updates. Avast Premier itself is extremely light, especially, since the Nitro Update.

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
I'm trying Panda Internet Security at the moment, and so far it has been extremely light. I have only been using it for a few hours so far, which is not long enough to get a accurate idea of system impact, but does give some indication. When I open one of my downloads folders, with hundreds of installers in it, with a lot of antiviruses, it can take quite some time for Windows Explorer to finish reading the folder. But with Panda, this is not the case, even the first time I open a folder.

So far in terms of system impact so far, I would rate it close to Avast, AVG, ESET, K7 and Norton. All of which received higher performance scores. Also it is much lighter (for me anyway) than Emsisoft, Quick Heal, Trend, and Windows Defender, which also were rated higher. In partiular Emsisoft and Quick Heal caused a very big drop in performance.

I know that the system impact of an antivirus can very greatly from one computer to the next. But usually if an antivirus is going to cause slowdowns, it will do so on my main laptop which has hundreds of programs installed on it, and lots of processes running.

Panda definitely works on a case by case basis, for me it didn't go well with my computer, brought it to a standstill and gave me tons of blue screens. But what was worst was the fact that there was no support at all, they said that I had to be a paying member for them to troubleshoot my problem, what a disappointing experience with panda. Since then I haven't touched a single product from panda.

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
1) Emsisoft
2) Bitdefender
3) Kaspersky

When I looked at the settings of Kaspersky, they look complicated. Not saying this is a bad trait, but configurability doesn't look like 6 to me. What about Bitdefender? I have perceived that Bitdefender is easy to configure.

Maybe I am comparing a simple free Bitdefender to the the pay of Kaspersky while the test is both pay versions? List doesn't indicate the BD is free as it does with Avast. Is Kaspersky really a 6 configurability and performance too?

Thing is I think Kaspersky is state of the art and probably the best or close. This test publication makes it seem perfect though. Is it that good...perfect in every aspect? This was not my perception before. The best should win with 15.5 or 16 honestly.

monkeylove

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Mar 9, 2014
I was using 360 but I think it slowed down my system (temporary freezes every few hours). I switched to Bitdefender, but after reading the other reviews, switched again to Panda. I just got a blue screen an hour ago (unrecoverable error; checked and found no errors in device manager, memory, or sfc, and system is updated). In all three cases, there were no popup ads or news or there was an option to disable them.

I'd like to know which free antivirus is lightest, has the best protection, and no popup ads (I don't mind ads showing up in the console when I open the program window).

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
I just got a blue screen an hour ago (unrecoverable error; checked and found no errors in device manager, memory, or sfc, and system is updated).
I suggest running BlueScreenView, as quite possibly it will be able to tell you what files caused the blue screen. Quite possibly there is still a component of one of your previous antiviruses runnning and it is causing a conflict with Panda. Often the supplied uninstallers with antiviruses do no uninstall the antivirus fully.

monkeylove

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Mar 9, 2014
I suggest running BlueScreenView, as quite possibly it will be able to tell you what files caused the blue screen. Quite possibly there is still a component of one of your previous antiviruses runnning and it is causing a conflict with Panda. Often the supplied uninstallers with antiviruses do no uninstall the antivirus fully.

Thanks for the help. I used Revo Uninstaller to uninstall 360 and used a moderate scan to remove anything remaining.

I ran Blue Screen View, and it states that the driver that caused the crash is ntoskrnl.exe+14e2a0. I checked the version number and it is the same as some of the other system components. No problems from sfc, and no crashes during the last few months or during the last 24 hours.

During the last few hours, I've tried Avira and Avast, but I can't disable the popup ads, and Comodo antivirus keeps creating a desktop icon when I open it. For now, I am using Windows Defender.

Winter Soldier

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
I voted "no" in the poll because it is true that Kaspersky is a strong competitor, one of the best, without a doubt, but as we know and I always say, the best does not exist.
Reaching the peak of the absolute position would be also counterproductive, because this would mean, by definition, no possible improvement.
But the dynamic context must necessarily involve dynamic, continuous responses.

Reactions: frogboy

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.