Here are the fixes and known issues in Windows 10 for PCs build 14390

D

Deleted member 2913

I went ahead and installed it. It is big and fat -- plus there were a lot of time-outs to the wusa server due to bandwidth of so many people trying to download.

Anyhow, it installed OK without any issues yet.

@yesnoo - there are no CMAK folders installed by Windows Update.
A user mentioned it here but no info.
CMAK Folder on Windows 10

And the time mentioned with the folder on my system is the same as the time of windows updates i.e when I updated windows.

Kardo Kristal

From Crystal Security
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Jul 12, 2014
Microsoft today released yet another Windows 10 Insider Preview build to the Fast ring. Build 14388 follows in the footsteps of its recent predecessors, in that it doesn't contain any front-facing features.

As usual, it does contain a list of fixes, improvements, and known issues.

Here's what got fixed and improved in Windows 10 for PCs build 14388:
  • We have updated the Store to version 11606.1001.39 with bug fixes.

• We fixed an issue where Narrator keyboard shortcuts would not work after locking your PC and then logging back in and going to your desktop.

• We fixed an issue where Narrator would not read the date and time under Settings > Time & language > Date & time.

• We fixed a TPM driver crash that could result in the device bug-checking (bluescreen) and rebooting.
Here are the known issues:
  • A recent fix went into place for the Hyper-V firmware that will that affect the ability to boot Windows Server 2016 Tech Preview 5 VMs with Secure Boot enabled. A fix for TP5 builds has been developed however, due to release schedules, the Insider Preview build changes will be released before the TP5 fix is released. During that time, if you try to boot a new TP5 VM with Secure Boot enabled, it will fail. The workaround is to disable Secure Boot during this period.

• After you install this build on a PC using a non-EN-US language, you may get error code 0x80004005 when enabling Developer Mode on the “For Developers” Settings Page. Even after seeing this error message, your machine is in developer mode and you should still be able to use Visual Studio to develop Universal Windows Applications. In most cases, this error indicates that extra components required by the operating system to enable additional debugging features in Visual Studio or the Windows Device Portal could not be installed automatically.
To fix this:
  1. Go to Settings > System.
  2. Click on “Apps & features”
  3. Choose “Manage Optional features”
  4. Press the button “Add a feature”
  5. Select the package for Windows Developer Mode
  6. Click “Install”
  7. Reboot your PC
  8. Launch Command Prompt as Administrator
  9. Run: sc config debugregsvc start=auto
Finally, return to the “For Developers” Settings page. You will still see the error code, 0x80004005 but you should now be able to enable Windows Device Portal and the Device Discovery features.

As Dona notes in the blog post, we're getting down to the wire. The Anniversary Update is slated to arrive on August 2; however, Insiders should be expecting an RTM build much sooner than that. It could come as early as later this week or next week.

If you're on the Fast ring, you can grab build 14388 by heading to Settings -> Update & security -> Windows Update -> Check for updates. If you're not and you want to be, head over to Windows Update, select Advanced options, and turn on Insider Preview builds. When your PC builds, go back and make sure it's on the Fast ring.

H

hjlbx

A user mentioned it here but no info.
CMAK Folder on Windows 10

And the time mentioned with the folder on my system is the same as the time of windows updates i.e when I updated windows.

Who knows... the poster didn't state the folder appeared immediately after the today's Windows update.

He\she could have gotten in any of thousands of different ways - but Windows Update is extremely unlikely.

D

Deleted member 2913

Who knows... the poster didn't state the folder appeared immediately after the today's Windows update.

He\she could have gotten in any of thousands of different ways - but Windows Update is extremely unlikely.
He mentioned appeared today in program files, etc... And his post was created today.

Logethica

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
@yesnoo .....
This may be Information that you already know but I post it just in case it is of help as It mentions CMAK & Windows 10...

From..What Windows 10’s “Optional Features” Do, and How to Turn Them On or Off

What Are All the Optional Features on Windows 10?
We put together a list of some features available on Windows 10 Professional......If you’re using Windows 10 Home, you’ll only have some of these features. If you’re using Windows 10 Enterprise or Education, you’ll have even more features available. These are just the most common ones you might come across.
  • RAS Connection Manager Administration Kit (CMAK): This tool allows you to create custom remote access profiles for VPNs. Unless you know you need this to administer a network, you don’t need it.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Good list of fixes and seems there are no reason of possible botched updates, due to the details which may not lead to serious issue.

Hopefully the Anniversary update on August must enforce smoothly to all system. Microsoft must prove their update policy against critics.

H

hjlbx

hjlbx & Umbra,

Did your update gave error or was successful the first time?

I had a error the first time but retry went successful so could the first time failure be the reason of the CMAK folders creation?

I had no errors. Most commonly there are errors while working with different programs on the desktop while the update is downloading or installing.

I didn't see that this time...

H

hjlbx

The guy asking about CMAK somehow added it via "Add Features to Windows" on the Programs and Features Control Panel...

CMAK has been around for a long time, but it isn't added via Windows Updates.

LOL... he screwed himself - and didn't even know it.

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
It seems i am alone with this failing updates each time a cumulative appears. FML.
Stuck at 10586.318. Issue it's KB3156421 which doesn't seem to be able to uninstall. I tried but got error and it said rolling back. If anyone has an idea how to get rid of it i am open to suggestions. Rolling back to an image before that it's not an option though.

H

hjlbx

It seems i am alone with this failing updates each time a cumulative appears. FML.
Stuck at 10586.318. Issue it's KB3156421 which doesn't seem to be able to uninstall. I tried but got error and it said rolling back. If anyone has an idea how to get rid of it i am open to suggestions. Rolling back to an image before that it's not an option though.

Just a slim chance that it will work, but try uninstalling in Safe Mode.

If it does work, then disable Windows Update service.

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
Just a slim chance that it will work, but try uninstalling in Safe Mode.

If it does work, then disable Windows Update service.
i tried in safe mode. Doesn't work. Something is messed up with my hardware i believe. If i clean install i will be able to update to latest but next time a cumulative will appear it will fail again. Tried the MS help but with no result. Probably will have to skip all such updates and update only when they release something like the Anniversary update.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.