Here are the fixes and known issues in Windows 10 for PCs build 14390

H

hjlbx

i tried in safe mode. Doesn't work. Something is messed up with my hardware i believe. If i clean install i will be able to update to latest but next time a cumulative will appear it will fail again. Tried the MS help but with no result. Probably will have to skip all such updates and update only when they release something like the Anniversary update.

Anniversary update might be the one that kills your system.

Forced Windows Updates are a huge annoyance for some W10Home users.

Kardo Kristal

From Crystal Security
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Jul 12, 2014

@hjlbx

Maybe the following method helps to stop automatic cumulative updates:

Step 2B: If you're running Win10 Home, you don't have gpedit.msc. Not to worry -- you can accomplish the same thing by editing the Registry or, much easier, by downloading and running Noel Carboni's ConfigureAutomaticUpdates tool. You may get a warning that the tool "is not commonly downloaded" (it's a brand-new tool). If so, choose to Keep it. Run the tool and switch Configure Automatic Updates to disabled.

In either case, your computer should now have these two registry settings:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU] "NoAutoUpdate"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU] "NoAutoUpdate"=dword:00000001

If you'd rather fiddle with the registry yourself, go right ahead -- both Gpedit and ConfigureAutomaticUpdates only exist to make the change easier for you.

Step 3: When the cumulative update comes out (presumably on Tuesday afternoon or evening), double-click on Wushowhide.diagcab to run it. Click the link marked Advanced. Uncheck the box marked "Apply repairs automatically." Click Next.

Step 4: Wait for Wushowhide to look for all of the pending updates on your system. When it comes up for air, click Hide Updates. There should be a box marked "Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1511 for x64-based Systems (KB xxxxxxx)" or something similar. Check that box, click Next, and close out of Wushowhide.

At this point, the cumulative update should not be visible to Windows Update: If you click Start > Settings > Update & security, then Check for Updates, that cumulative update should not appear on the updates list and should not be installed on your system.

More than that, Windows Update should continue to do its thing with Windows Defender patches (which don't require your manual approval).

Source

Regards,
Kardo

MiguelPratas819

Level 2
Verified
Jul 8, 2015

Well, I always clean install my system when an Entire OS Upgrade comes out, what has been happening with windows 10, xD just like in November 2015..When it came out I just copied my important stuff to an external hdd and clean install it. I´ll do the same with anniversary Update.

D

Deleted member 178

hjlbx & Umbra,
Did your update gave error or was successful the first time?

One try, one success. As always.

Most people, keep their security product (especially HIPS/BB) or keep doing heavy works with their system while doing important and heavy updates. Once i click "install" and it start, i barely touch my computer anymore; i shift to my smartphone, waiting it ends.

Well, I always clean install my system when an Entire OS Upgrade comes out, what has been happening with windows 10, xD just like in November 2015..When it came out I just copied my important stuff to an external hdd and clean install it. I´ll do the same with anniversary Update.

i do the same, i even do a clean install every month. So my system is always clean; no faulty drivers or buggy leftover files.

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
Well, that certainly took its sweet time.

More than 1 hour for the updates to be downloaded. Afterward it began installing the updates, except for the cumulative update (KB3172985) which failed to install 4 times. Tried sfc/scannow to see if there were any problem, but that didn't find anything wrong.

Thank God, the update finally got installed on my 5th attempt. No idea how, but it seems that whatever was the problem got resolved on its own.

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
Well, that certainly took its sweet time.

More than 1 hour for the updates to be downloaded. Afterward it began installing the updates, except for the cumulative update (KB3172985) which failed to install 4 times. Tried sfc/scannow to see if there were any problem, but that didn't find anything wrong.

Thank God, the update finally got installed on my 5th attempt. No idea how, but it seems that whatever was the problem got resolved on its own.
On what percentage did it fail if you saw?

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
On what percentage did it fail if you saw?
Didn't saw it.

I simply left the updates to get downloaded, after an hour had passed it finally showed a button that said "Install". Everything during the install when fine except for the update that I mentioned above. But I don't recall the percentage there.
https://i.imgur.com/xyWkImY.png

After the installed was successful, it told me to reboot. Which I did, and everything went fine.

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
Didn't saw it.

I simply left the updates to get downloaded, after an hour had passed it finally showed a button that said "Install". Everything during the install when fine except for the update that I mentioned above. But I don't recall the percentage there.
https://i.imgur.com/xyWkImY.png

After the installed was successful, it told me to reboot. Which I did, and everything went fine.
I see. Thanks.

D

Deleted member 2913

@yesnoo .....
This may be Information that you already know but I post it just in case it is of help as It mentions CMAK & Windows 10...

From..What Windows 10’s “Optional Features” Do, and How to Turn Them On or Off

What Are All the Optional Features on Windows 10?
We put together a list of some features available on Windows 10 Professional......If you’re using Windows 10 Home, you’ll only have some of these features. If you’re using Windows 10 Enterprise or Education, you’ll have even more features available. These are just the most common ones you might come across.

• RAS Connection Manager Administration Kit (CMAK): This tool allows you to create custom remote access profiles for VPNs. Unless you know you need this to administer a network, you don’t need it.
On my Win 10 64 Pro, under Turn Windows features ON/OFF, there is an option for CMAK but its unchecked.

Dont know why I have CMAK folders in program files 86 & program files.

No other users with Win 10 64 Pro have the CMAK folders in the mentioned location?

Logethica

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
On my Win 10 64 Pro, under Turn Windows features ON/OFF, there is an option for CMAK but its unchecked.

No other users with Win 10 64 Pro have the CMAK folders in the mentioned location?

I cant find anything about that at all online....
I would expect that they are not a threat of any kind and rather just an unexplained anomaly...
If me I would maybe run a scan just to put my mind at ease.Then use ccleaner to first scan the registry and then delete the folders/ files..
I don't know what else to suggest.Sorry.

Reactions: Deleted member 2913

DardiM

Level 26
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
May 14, 2016
hjlbx & Umbra,

Did your update gave error or was successful the first time?

I had a error the first time but retry went successful so could the first time failure be the reason of the CMAK folders creation?

I also use Windows 10 64 Pro, and the CMAK folders appears too in these both folders.
Today update were without any error during installation.

"C:\Program Files\CMAK"
- modification time : July,13 2016 15:49 (French time)
- folders and files inside modification time : July 13 2016 15:49 (French time)

"C:\Program Files (x86)\CMAK"

- folders inside modification time : July,13 2016 15:49 (French time)
- files inside modification time: July, 01 2016

=> but some creation time for files are different, for example from October 2015, etc

All Folder creation time are from July,13 2016 15:49 (French time)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 2913

I also use Windows 10 64 Pro, and the CMAK folders appears too in these both folders.
Today update swere without any error during installation.

"C:\Program Files\CMAK"
- folders and files inside modification time : July 13 2016 15:49 (French time)

"C:\Program Files (x86)\CMAK"

- folders inside modification time : July,13 2016 15:49 (French time)
- files inside modification time: July, 01 2016

=> but some creation time are different, for example from october 2015, etc
Exactly same here.

So those folders are indeed from this windows updates.

Logethica

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
@yesnoo ..I've just found these posts on Reddit...Apologies if you are already aware of these posts or made them yourself.

"CMAK" folder installed under program files • /r/Windows10

QUESTION:
"Help "CMAK" folder installed under program files

hi, a quick google search couldn't find anything other than one guy with the same issue but the thread had no replies.
after windows updates today there is a "CMAK" folder in program files and program files x86. I did not install CMAK myself. anyone else get this? why did it happen? how can I remove it?"

REPLY:
"I saw it yesterday after the patches. Got total paranoia since it's related to some kind of microsoft remote connection management. It made my curious that it is installed in program folders like optional/uninstallable software and not in the windows folder like normal windows features.
And no way to uninstall it? I do not want anything to establish secret (remote) connections. So there are these folders C:\Program Files (x86)\CMAK and in C:\Program Files\CMAK with cmbins.exe and cmstp.exe."

REPLY 2:
"I got this today after updates too. Don't know anything about it though."

Kardo Kristal

From Crystal Security
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Jul 12, 2014
Microsoft is gearing up for the Windows 10 Anniversary Update, which is just a few weeks away now. Today, the company released Windows 10 Insider Preview build 14390 for both PCs and phones to the Fast ring.

As usual when we're so close to an RTM, there are no new front-facing features. There is only a list of one fix and one known issue.

Here's what got fixed:
  • You should no longer see the error code 0x80004005 when enabling Developer Mode on the “For Developers” Settings page if your PC is using a non-EN-US language.
Here is the known issue:
  • AWARENESS: A recent fix went into place for the Hyper-V firmware that will that affect the ability to boot Windows Server 2016 Tech Preview 5 VMs with Secure Boot enabled. A fix for TP5 builds has been developed however, due to release schedules, the Insider Preview build changes will be released before the TP5 fix is released. During that time, if you try to boot a new TP5 VM with Secure Boot enabled, it will fail. The workaround is to disable Secure Boot during this period.
As you can see, the list of fixes and issues is getting smaller and smaller. Presumably, Microsoft should be almost ready to sign-off on an RTM build.

Dona Sarkar requests that Insiders try out this build and submit feedback. She also requested that you give your device to a friend for them to try. After all, "we're getting down to the wire".

If you're on the Fast ring, you can grab build 14390 by going to Settings -> Update & security -> Windows Update -> Check for updates. If you're not and you want to be, you can sign up by going to Windows Update and then Advanced options. Turn on Insider builds and after your PC reboots, set it to the Fast ring.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.