Here comes another next-gen SSD with a scorching fast 5GB/s read speed

[correlate]

Level 18
Thread author
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2019
Patriot is joining a growing list of solid state drive makers that have released speedy new drives leveraging the PCI Express 4.0 spec. As with competing models, Patriot's newly minted Viper VP4100 SSDs are rated to deliver up to 5GB/s (5,000MB/s) of sequential write performance, along with up to 4.4GB/s of sequential writes.

Those numbers are about as good as it gets right now. Whether you need that level of performance is another matter—in our roundup of the best SSDs for gaming, we have yet to highlight a PCIe 4.0 model, simply because there are cheaper options available that are just fine for playing games (even a SATA drive is sufficient).

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
5GB per second?? At this point your CPU and motherboard must be bottlenecking it. No?
Agreed, you won't feel an increase in computing speed, in most cases.
I am just speculating, but maybe if you copy large amounts of data from one place to another on the same SSD, you will see an increase in speed (assuming that you disabled your AV, that is).

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
PCIe 4.0 has a 32GB/s maximum data transfer rate. That means that drives still need to get much faster to get close to the hardware limit. Actually even PCIe 3.0 could reach a 16GB/s data transfer rate so I don't see the need for the PCIe 4.0 requirement for these drives.

L

Local Host

5GB per second?? At this point your CPU and motherboard must be bottlenecking it. No?
No it won't bottleneck the CPU nor MOBO whasoever, nor it makes makes sense to assume so, considering GPUs have long surpassed those speeds in the recent years through PCIe.

Even with PCIe 2.0 you could have a max of 8GB/s (however you would need to use it at x16), where with PCIe 4.0 those speeds are nothing.

DeepWeb

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
No it won't bottleneck the CPU nor MOBO whasoever, nor it makes makes sense to assume so, considering GPUs have long surpassed those speeds in the recent years through PCIe.

Even with PCIe 2.0 you could have a max of 8GB/s (however you would need to use it at x16), where with PCIe 4.0 those speeds are nothing.
True true. Maybe I should have said software.

I just can't help but wonder if current operating systems are designed to truly take advantage of these speeds. I mean there shouldn't be any boot time if you have a good CPU.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.