CyberTech

Level 44
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
Here is why you may want to skip this month Windows Updates

Patch Tuesday is just around the corner; Microsoft pushes out security updates and other updates for all of its products on the second Tuesday of the month.

While that is a good thing usually, Windows 10 users who have not upgraded systems to the new Windows 10 version 1803 "The April 2018 Update" may want to configure their devices to skip that update.

Microsoft plans to push the new feature update for Windows 10 to eligible PCs and devices this Tuesday.

While you can start the update to Windows 10 version 1803 already if you really want to as it was released on April 30, 2018, Tuesday marks the beginning of the general rollout phase.

download-windows-10.png

Right now, you will have to become active to get the update, but from Tuesday on the update is offered automatically through Windows Update.

In other words: if you don't block the upgrade to the feature update, your devices may be upgraded to it starting this Tuesday. May, because the update is pushed out in chunks starting with the most modern PCs that are most likely to update without larger issues and then to older machines.

If you have not followed the release of the update, you may wonder why you should block the upgrade at this point in time.

It is simple: the update is riddled with bugs. I upgraded one PC to Windows 10 version 1803 and ran into a good dozen major issues; Edge or Windows Defender won't load, I can't right-click on taskbar items, no microcode update for Windows 10 version 1803 to patch the Spectre security issue is available, and shutdown is broken unless you disable Fast Restart.

Those are just the issues that I ran into. Other users reported Chrome, Cortana and other software program freezes, out of disk space warnings because the recovery partition got a drive letter suddenly, lots of Alienware PCs that lock up, and a lot more.

You can go back to the previous version if a device is updated automatically to the new version of Windows.

It is likely that Microsoft will release fixes for some of the issues but since those are provided on Tuesday the earliest, there is no time to test them before systems might get upgraded to the April 2018 Update.

So, with all the problems and issues associated with the Windows 10 version 1803 update, you may want to think hard about upgrading to the new version right now.

Instructions for delaying Windows 10 feature upgrades can be found here. In short:
  • If the device is powered by Windows 10 Pro, Education or Enterprise: Open Settings > Windows Update > Advanced Options and select to defer the feature update for 30, 60 or even 90 days.
  • If the device is powered by Windows 10 Home: set your network connections to metered under Settings > Network & Internet.

Alternatively, use third-party tools like Block Windows 10 Updates or Windows 10 Update Switch instead.

In either case, it is recommended that you create a backup of the system partition so that you can go back on your own terms and don't have to rely on built-in functionality for that.

You can roll back in the first ten days by visiting Settings > Update & Security > Recovery.

Last edited:

SumTingWong

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
My laptop is already installed this update through Windows Update, and it just waiting for restart to apply the update.

Reactions: Weebarra

Chimaira

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Jan 5, 2018
Instead of running from the inevitable don't go through the upgrade, download the ISO instead, create a bootable USB and do a fresh install.

This significantly reduces the possibility of bugs.

Personally IMO if you have bugs from updating you should always do a fresh install after to see if the bugs go away before telling other people the new update has bugs.

I've never had a major windows update such as SCU or FCU without bugs. I always have to fresh install and everything works just fine.

Fresh install people! ;) If you still have bugs after that then we know they are real bugs and not just a screw up from the update process. (y)

SumTingWong

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
Instead of running from the inevitable don't go through the upgrade, download the ISO instead, create a bootable USB and do a fresh install.

This significantly reduces the possibility of bugs.

Personally IMO if you have bugs from updating you should always do a fresh install after to see if the bugs go away before telling other people the new update has bugs.

I've never had a major windows update such as SCU or FCU without bugs. I always have to fresh install and everything works just fine.

Fresh install people! ;) If you still have bugs after that then we know they are real bugs and not just a screw up from the update process. (y)

You can do that if you have a home PC, but if you have a work PC or an educational PC then that will be a whole different story. This is why backup is essential.

RoboMan

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
You can do that if you have a home PC, but if you have a work PC or an educational PC then that will be a whole different story. This is why backup is essential.
This.

That's why workstations are such a risk. Nobody wants to go through the process of clean installing OS everytime an update ruins everything so they prefer to have Windows Update disabled, causing security issues and opening huge holes for outsiders attacks.

Daviworld

Level 2
Verified
Feb 19, 2018
I have already updated despite the bug's the Monday before last. I am a little sad about the microcode spectre fixes not being available though. The only thing I have experienced so far is Cortana freezed twice when I was typing in the search to bring up my documents. After force closing the process for Cortana everything is working as expected haven't experienced any of the other bug's.

Not sure if it help's but my process of upgrading was using the ISO and I also have a very restrictive Window's system.

D

Deleted member 65228

Microsoft are to blame for what @RoboMan mentioned (good point) IMO.

Microsoft have a LOT of income and resources, you'd expect them to be able to do a proper Quality & Control check on their products. Clearly that expectation is point-blank wrong based on the track record from Microsoft and Windows Updates.

If they tested their new releases properly then things wouldn't be as they are. I don't recall any OS vendor in history being more problematic than Microsoft when it comes to updates.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.