Here we go again.... Chrome to not allow full-scale adblockers

Burrito

Level 24
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018

Back in January, Google announced a proposed change to Chrome’s extensions system, called Manifest V3, that would stop current ad blockers from working efficiently. In response to the overwhelmingly negative feedback, Google is standing firm on Chrome’s ad blocking changes, sharing that current ad blocking capabilities will be restricted to enterprise users.

Manifest V3 comprises a major change to Chrome’s extensions system, including a revamp to the permissions system and a fundamental change to the way ad blockers operate. In particular, modern ad blockers, like uBlock Origin and Ghostery, use Chrome’s webRequest API to block ads before they’re even downloaded.
The lead developer of uBlock Origin, Raymond Hill, has commented on the situation, both to The Register and on uBlock Origin’s GitHub, pointing out that allowing ad blockers goes completely against Google’s business model.

I've tried various browsers and always go back to Chrome.

But this... if correct... will make me be DONE with Chrome.

I'll standby for comment from a few key people here to learn more...

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Is Brave and ChrEdge not following Manifest V3?

Not sure about that, but I can't imagine M$ wants to adversely affect new and potential users who wish to use content blockers. It wouldn't make any sense as they get closer to release of Edge Chromium. And it kind of goes against everything that Brave is supposed to be about, so I can't see them going along either. There is nothing stopping either of them from implementing whatever features they wish. Chromium is open source after all. Brave may have posted something on their community forum saying they will not implement it, but it's been a while since I've checked the forum.

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
Not sure about that, but I can't imagine M$ wants to adversely affect new and potential users who wish to use content blockers. It wouldn't make any sense as they get closer to release of Edge Chromium. And it kind of goes against everything that Brave is supposed to be about, so I can't see them going along either. There is nothing stopping either of them from implementing whatever features they wish. Chromium is open source after all. Brave may have posted something on their community forum saying they will not implement it, but it's been a while since I've checked the forum.

M$ will have to make unique extensions for adblocking available in their extension store. Their store is pretty sparse. Currently they are only available from the chrome store. But if devs have to change the code for Chrome we’d need unique extensions for Edge. Hopefully this isn’t as bad as it seems.

I’ve only ever blocked ads due to malware concerns. It irritates me to no end that ad networks seem to be oblivious as to what they allow through their networks. Leave it to marketers, right? I don’t mind supporting sites I like, it’s cheaper to see ads than to pay a subscription to each one...which is the way we’re moving.

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
Brave users shouldnt be worried about this (from reddit):

Brave_Support

BRAVE TEAM Score hidden·16 hours ago·Stickied comment·edited 14 hours ago

Hello everyone!
I'd like to respond to u/HaroldSax's and u/utilitycoder's questions below. Pinned to the top here for visibility:
HaroldSax
Will this affect anything based on Chromium or just Chrome itself?
utilitycoder
Not sure. I'd love an official response from the Brave team.
If any of this code is released in future Chromium updates, it will be subsequently patched, forked, removed, scrubbed and otherwise eliminated before it ever gets pushed into a Brave build. Any Brave logic will remain safe and the same would be afforded to extensions using our browser.
If anything, this is a very strong case for more users to migrate to Brave and should reaffirm the users who are already browsing safely. One of the most common and oldest questions we still get to this day is:
Why didn't you just build an extension? Why go through the trouble of making your own browser?
Read into Manifest V3 and you'll find your answer, as it calls attention to how dependent browser extensions are to client-controlled APIs. Brave has sidestepped this decision (and associated mess) by making smarter, forward thinking decisions that have long term benefits.
So thank you for anyone reading this with Shields up :)

lbat-chriscat

BAT TEAM74 points·4 months ago·edited 4 months ago

It's worth noting that our Brave Shields (ad blocker) is not an extension; it is natively implemented. So extension API changes leave our shields unaffected.
Edit: We can always remove any code or update we don't like from the Chromium base we use. So even if this didn't just affect extensions but something deeper, we could just exclude it.

Source:

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Some interesting comments here: Google still on track to limit ad-blockers in Chrome - gHacks Tech News
What is true from the comment about Brave and Facebook?
A lot of commenters here have mentioned Brave as an alternative. Last I read (which wasn’t all that long ago), Brave was hard-coded to enable scripting from Facebook domains — the worst of the worst where user profiling and tracking are concerned — and there was no way for users to block it at the browser level. Is this still the case?
Brave blog post about it: Script Blocking Exceptions Update

Last edited:

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Last edited:
Reactions: Burrito and DeepWeb

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Could just use AdGuard DNS or a Pi-Hole if you're platform-restricted to Chrome.
I've tried Adguard DNS on Android, and it's not the most reliable service. Over the course of 7-10 days, using both Wi-Fi and 4G I've had issues slow connections and problems with loading Google itself. Switched back to my previous DNS settings and now working perfectly.

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
This is all such a bummer because even though I like and use FF a lot it is still a bit slower and has compatibility issues sometimes. I use Chrome for certain things, but specifically for some sites that are ad heavy, or when google integration is being used.

Threadripper

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2019
This is all such a bummer because even though I like and use FF a lot it is still a bit slower and has compatibility issues sometimes. I use Chrome for certain things, but specifically for some sites that are ad heavy, or when google integration is being used.
Try WebRender, you won't say it's slower :p

Reactions: Burrito

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.