Here's what got fixed and improved in Windows 10 build 14393.103 for PCs and phones

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kardo Kristal

From Crystal Security
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Jul 12, 2014
Insiders on the Slow and Release Preview rings found a cumulative update waiting for them today, specifically Windows 10 build 14393.103 for PC and Mobile. At the time, there wasn't a changelog available; however, one has since been published.

As you might expect, there aren't any new features to be seen in a cumulative update; however, there are a number of fixes and improvements.

Here's what's new in Windows 10 build 14393.103:
  • Improved reliability of the Windows Ink Workspace, Microsoft Edge, File Server, Windows kernel, Microsoft Component Object Model (COM), Cluster Health Service, Hyper-V, Multi-Factor Authentication (MFA), NTFS file system, PowerShell, Internet Explorer, facial recognition, graphics, Microsoft Store and Windows Shell.

• Improved performance for the speed of purchasing Store apps.

• Improved battery life of wearable devices (such as the Microsoft Band) while Bluetooth is connected and idle.

• Improved compatibility of using Xbox One controllers with various games.

• Addressed issue with incorrect character mapping between Japanese and Unicode for the question mark (?) symbol.

• Addressed issue that prevents the download and initialization of .NET objects in Internet Explorer.

• Improved support for new near-field communication (NFC) chips for Windows 10 Mobile.

• Addressed issue with game or app audio not resuming after ending a call on Windows 10 Mobile.

• Addressed additional issues with compatibility, Remote Desktop, BitLocker, PowerShell, Direct3D, networking policies, Dynamic Access Control (DAC) rules, Microsoft Edge, Connected Standby, mobile device management (MDM), printing, Fingerprint logon and Cortana.

The notes list "PowerShell" in passing, although the previous update on PCs broke DSC. Microsoft has promised a fix on August 30, and it's unknown whether this is a preview of the upcoming update.

There are also a number of other issues in the Anniversary Update that the changelog doesn't call out. Users are finding that plugging in a Kindle causes Windows 10 to crash, and millions of webcams are broken. Clearly, Microsoft has a lot to fix over the next few updates.

Kardo Kristal

From Crystal Security
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Jul 12, 2014
Hi,

Direct download links for Cumulative Update (KB3176938):

64-bit Download (325 MB)
32-bit Download (208 MB)

Steps to Install .CAB file:
  1. Open "Command Prompt (Admin)"
  2. Lets assume your file is windows10.0-kb3176938.cab and is located in "C:\update\"
  3. Now enter the following command in Command Prompt window: dism /online /add-package /packagepath:C:\update\windows10.0-kb3176938.cab
Regards,
Kardo

Reactions: Logethica

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
::WARNING::
This update trashed my boot menu, I had to restore to a earlier time.
I was stuck in a bootloop
Luckily I had one, I strongly suggest creating a Restore Point before updating to this version
EDIT:
I tried the StartUp Repair first and what ever this update did, StartUp Repair could not fix.
So be forewarned.
PeAcE

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
For the first time in a very long time I have had to totally shut down Windows Update.
This doesn't make me happy at all, I swear if my game collection would run on Linux
I would drop Windows OS so fast they would feel it at MS HQ :(

Kardo Kristal

From Crystal Security
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Jul 12, 2014
@Kardo Kristal , from what you have learned about this update,
Will my system be ok for a bit without it ?
I will try again in maybe a week or so, what would you suggest ?

Hi @_CyberGhosT_,

It seems like this update causes different issues for many users.

Currently I suggest to avoid this update and wait a little bit (or update to latest build).

I am currently using the following build: 14901. So far no major issues.

Regards,
Kardo

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Im on 1607: 14393.51
Even though I rolled back did this update stick ? this is strange.
What is the version number after the KB3176938 update ?
EDIT
Oh never mind I read yours wrong lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.