Here's what's new in the Windows 10 April 2018 Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

Windows Spring Creator isn't ready yet. There will be a ton of people here who say "I installed it and have no problems", but they do a great disservice to others because they are not fully testing it except with what they customarily run by default on their systems. Others will come along, read what they people post, install 1803, only to find out that for them specifically it is still a piece of garbage.

We have to go through this every single time that a new Windows release is made. People try to be helpful - that is their intent - but they don't know what they're talking about. And it ends up with someone out there being REKT because of what they post here.

SumTingWong

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
Windows Spring Creator isn't ready yet. There will be a ton of people here who say "I installed it and have no problems", but they do a great disservice to others because they are not fully testing it except with what they customarily run by default on their systems. Others will come along, read what they people post, install 1803, only to find out that for them specifically it is still a piece of garbage.

We have to go through this every single time that a new Windows release is made. People try to be helpful - that is their intent - but they don't know what they're talking about. And it ends up with someone out there being REKT because of what they post here.

Do I have to turn on Document, Video, File, and Picture access in Privacy under App Permission? What happens if I turn these off?

Reactions: Syafiq

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Do I have to turn on Documents, Pictures, Videos, and File System Access in Privacy under App Permission? What happens if I turn these off?
It should be on by default.

It's similar to the "Allow access to Storage" on Android and iOS. If you block access, then the app* cannot see those files, it also may apply to the entire OS.
*Apps downloaded from the Microsoft Store (ie. Windows 10 Store UWP apps). Desktop apps don't apply.

Some information can be found here and here.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Windows Defender Security Center needs access to at least some of these areas.
Check the list displayed in each setting and you will see which apps need it.

Do I have to turn on Document, Video, File, and Picture access in Privacy under App Permission? What happens if I turn these off?

I don't know. I know not to even bother with a new Windows build until months later because Microsoft releases unfinished products. It's the reason that some people are still using Windows 7... because Windows 10 is still full of ongoing bugs and problems.

I don't delve into Windows 10 security. Microsoft doesn't publish anything near the required documentation and I don't have the patience nor time to experiment with Windows 10 nonsense. Ask the experimenters and trial-and-error explorers here at MalwareTips and over at Wilders.

Last edited by a moderator:

SumTingWong

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
I don't know. I know not to even bother with a new Windows build until months later because Microsoft releases unfinished products. It's the reason that some people are still using Windows 7... because Windows 10 is still full of ongoing bugs and problems.

I don't delve into Windows 10 security. Microsoft doesn't publish anything near the required documentation and I don't have to experiment with Windows 10 nonsense. Ask the experimenters and trial-and-error explorers here at MalwareTips and over at Wilders.

I can't roll back Windows to the previous build before installing Windows 10 April 2018 Update. What?! The Windows.old folder still in my C drive. I installed this update yesterday. Help!

Last edited:

I can't roll back Windows to the previous build before installing Windows 10 April 2018 Update. What?! The Windows.old folder still in my C drive. I installed this update yesterday. Help!

If you cannot rollback using the System Restore or Recovery options, then I do not know what to tell you other than do a clean install of Windows.

I am one not to mess about... typically I will try to solve an issue for a short while, but with my limited patience I end up clean installing Windows.

Clean installs give the best result.

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Was this update supposed to add/change features in Windows Defender? :unsure:

Reactions: Syafiq

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Was this update supposed to add/change features in Windows Defender? :unsure:
In the Windows Defender Security Center, there is a new system-wide protection called Core Isolation.
It protects the integrity of memory in the Windows core.
You might not be able to turn it on, if you have certain drivers on your system that do not support it, or if your hardware does not support it, or if you have not enabled virtualization support in your BIOS/firmware.

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
In the Windows Defender Security Center, there is a new system-wide protection called Core Isolation.
It protects the integrity of memory in the Windows core.
You might not be able to turn it on, if you have certain drivers on your system that do not support it, or if your hardware does not support it, or if you have not enabled virtualization support in your BIOS/firmware.

Core Isolation does not appear in my user interface. I have an i3 2.5GHz 8MB RAM Lenovo laptop. My machine is running fine after update except I'm getting repeated Controlled Folder Access flags and I've excluded all relevant program files. It's starting to drive me crazy...!:censored: I've turned it off! Any advice?

Reactions: Gandalf_The_Grey

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
For core isolation, look in security center/device security, and click on the link there to open the settings.
If it won't turn on, you can try @RejZoR tool
Q&A - Win10 Core Isolation switch stuck
take a system image before you do it. It will force core isolation to turn on, even if you have conflicting drivers. That could possibly make your system unbootable. So proceed at your own risk, or consult with @RejZoR

About Controlled folder access: it is a total mess. I find it unusable.

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
I just downloaded the official RTM (1803/17134.1) using the tool from "heidoc.net," but when I verify the ISO using the Windows and Office Genuine ISO verifier tool, it says the version is not genuine. Is the tool reporting correctly?
For the record, it was just updated recently.

Attachments

• capture_05022018_211340.jpg
    capture_05022018_211340.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 354

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
….
About Controlled folder access: it is a total mess. I find it unusable.

Thanks, especially since you are the only person to respond to my question about it! At least I know I am not the only one with this experience. I'm keeping it off since I get an endless stream of alerts throughout the day.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Thanks, especially since you are the only person to respond to my question about it! At least I know I am not the only one with this experience. I'm keeping it off since I get an endless stream of alerts throughout the day.
If you pay quick attention to the alerts, you can go into the settings, and whitelist the alerting processes. If you do that, the alerts will decrease rapidly.

But every time you install a new program, you will still get an error message, because the shortcut on your desktop was blocked from being created. Okay, I can live without those shortcuts.

But the thing that REALLY ticked me off was with OneDrive. I was blocked from creating a new subfolder. And even if I created it in the cloud, it would not sync to the local device. I never saw something so dumb in my life. Well, maybe I did, but this is definitely one of the dumber things I have seen. :)

It also interfered occasionally with Macrium Reflect taking a system image. This behavior was inconsistent.

Reactions: Fel Grossi
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.