Here's why Windows 10 'Pro' isn't released with Surface Pro 6!

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
READ MORE: Microsoft is right not to include Windows 10 Pro with Surface Pro – here's why

One of the recent changes to the new Surface Pro 6 and Surface Laptop 2 is one that I applauded in my review, but is causing some puzzlement: why is Microsoft shipping it with Windows 10 Home instead of Windows 10 Pro?

The joke practically writes itself conflating the "Pro" in the Surface with the OS that shares the same name. But the change is the right one, and I wish more companies would do the same for their consumer PCs and laptops. Here's why.

That is why the new Surface Pro 6 and Surface Laptop 2 were $100 cheaper compared to the same versions last year (it's also because there is no Iris Plus in the Core i7 models, which is more expensive).
1540240306332.png

If you want Windows 10 Pro then buy it
All this prelude brings us to the obvious conclusion: if you need Windows 10 Pro then pay the $99 license fee in the Microsoft Store. It's one-click, and the OS will download the necessary files and unlock to a Pro license, which gets tied to your Microsoft Account and that PC's hardware.

Some of you do need Hyper-V or Remote Desktop, which is why you can without fuss update to Windows 10 Pro. What I don't get is why as a consumer I should subsidize an entire product line for the minority of users.

READ MORE: Microsoft is right not to include Windows 10 Pro with Surface Pro – here's why

That is why the new Surface Pro 6 and Surface Laptop 2 were $100 cheaper compared to the same versions last year (it's also because there is no Iris Plus in the Core i7 models, which is more expensive).
View attachment 199920

If you want Windows 10 Pro then buy it

Thanks, but no thanks.

A person can buy an i7 256GB\12GB laptop on the Microsoft Store for ~ $850 when Microsoft has them in-stock.

"gets tied to your Microsoft Account" = every time you clean install Windows, then you have to sign into your Microsoft Account to be able to upgrade to Pro via only the Windows Store. It creates an administrative hassle across Microsoft product platforms. If Pro is installed in the first place, those hassles are not created. Another example of being black-holed by Microsoft.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I don't want to say anything wrong, but memory integrity and core isolation should also be available for Windows 10 Home.

Hyper-V is just like VirtualBox only from Microsoft, to create virtual machines.
"Memory integrity is a powerful system mitigation that leverages hardware virtualization and the Windows Hyper-V hypervisor to protect Windows kernel-mode processes against the injection and execution of malicious or unverified code. "
Memory integrity

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
It doesn't work like that though. Because if i try to buy windows 10 pro is $100 it doesn't mean that adding it into a product will cost the manufacturer that price. If that was the case then trust me we would all be using linux by now.
The editor of that article is smoking something to be able to oversimplify two different models and their price difference to the pro license and make a whole article on that and then give a parenthesis on iris gfx. OMEGALOL!

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
It doesn't work like that though. Because if i try to buy windows 10 pro is $100 it doesn't mean that adding it into a product will cost the manufacturer that price. If that was the case then trust me we would all be using linux by now.
The editor of that article is smoking something to be able to oversimplify two different models and their price difference to the pro license and make a whole article on that and then give a parenthesis on iris gfx. OMEGALOL!
Right. We were smoking something when we read it, if we believed it :)

A 3rd-party OEM probably pays between $25 and $50 for the Windows image, but charges the consumer $75 or more.

However, when it comes to Microsoft itself, it should come as no surprise that one of Microsoft's implicit objectives is to get full retail price for every single Windows image license that it sells. Hence, Microsoft prices Windows at the top-end in its device prices compared to other sellers. I don't know what Microsoft uses as its cost per Window image, but for Microsoft, $100 for Pro is almost certainly priced with a huge mark-up. In other words, the profit margin is very high - I wouldn't at all be surprise if its in the range of jewelry profit margins.

Microsoft and OEMs are nobodies friend.

Last edited by a moderator:

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
A 3rd-party OEM probably pays between $25 and $50 for the Windows image, but charges the consumer $75 or more.

However, when it comes to Microsoft itself, it should come as no surprise that one of Microsoft's implicit objectives is to get full retail price for every single Windows image license that it sells. Hence, Microsoft prices Windows at the top-end in its device prices compared to other sellers. I don't know what Microsoft uses as its cost per Window image, but for Microsoft, $100 for Pro is almost certainly priced with a huge mark-up. In other words, the profit margin is very high - I wouldn't at all be surprise if its in the range of jewelry profit margins.

Microsoft and OEMs are nobodies friend.
I don't disagree that the pro license adds cost to a device but there are a lot more factors to consider when deciding a price. This article is just a clickbait useless one that took the author 30 minutes of work and offers very little knowledge. You can't write an article on price comparison of two different generation of products and not talk about hardware, pricing, trends and just say it's the pro license, pay me the ads money.

Reactions: given

I don't disagree that the pro license adds cost to a device but there are a lot more factors to consider when deciding a price. This article is just a clickbait useless one that took the author 30 minutes of work and offers very little knowledge. You can't write an article on price comparison of two different generation of products and not talk about hardware, pricing, trends and just say it's the pro license, pay me the ads money.

Microsoft does add $100 for Pro in its store. It's the $99 "upgrade."

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
Microsoft does add $100 for Pro in its store. It's the $99 "upgrade."
I don't disagree that it adds $100. What I am saying is because the price difference from this years model changes by $100 when you change the type of MS windows it doesn't mean that last year model was more expensive because it had windows pro.
Manufacturers eat cost from one thing and charge it to something else so the mass can get a cheaper product. So lets say ram is more expensive this year. What do I do so I get more sales? I remove the windows pro license that i charge X and drop the price of the base program by X hoping users that care buy the pro and i earn some money.
It's not so easy to compare the cost of two different generations as the article makes it sound and it's misleading.

I don't disagree that it adds $100. What I am saying is because the price difference from this years model changes by $100 when you change the type of MS windows it doesn't mean that last year model was more expensive because it had windows pro.
Manufacturers eat cost from one thing and charge it to something else so the mass can get a cheaper product. So lets say ram is more expensive this year. What do I do so I get more sales? I remove the windows pro license that i charge X and drop the price of the base program by X hoping users that care buy the pro and i earn some money.
It's not so easy to compare the cost of two different generations as the article makes it sound and it's misleading.

I get it.

Microsoft is the only one that charges $100 for the Pro "upgrade." OEMs charge approximately $50. That difference speaks for itself.

Reactions: given and shmu26

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.