Hi, I'm new here and need help!

NQuinn524

Thread author
Jan 6, 2019
Hello, I just got a pop up from Slimware/Driver Update on my Windows 10 computer. It is asking me if I would like to update to the newer version of Driver Update. It also shows that I have several drivers out of date. Is this legit? Thank you in advance for your help! Nancy

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
Welcome to MT. Yes, it is OK. It did not find any updates on mine, so it does not scam by pretending to find something, that is not missing.

Attachments

• capture_01062019_213111.jpg
    capture_01062019_213111.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 265

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
Oh, and Nancy, use the search function of this forum. There have been multiple discussions on driver updaters. The smart-guys in those discussions can guide you to a good one.

I generally now don't use driver updaters on my newer computers -- as I had a driver updater brick a computer. On my older computers, I use DriverBooster, which has never given me the incorrect driver (unlike others I have tried).

Driver Update Is this Malware? - Am I infected? What do I do?

Last edited:

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
Hello, I just got a pop up from Slimware/Driver Update on my Windows 10 computer. It is asking me if I would like to update to the newer version of Driver Update. It also shows that I have several drivers out of date. Is this legit? Thank you in advance for your help! Nancy
Did you actually install DriverUpdate yourself? If you didn't, it would have come bundled as an unwanted extra with some other software you installed.

It is legit and AVG/Avast sell rebranded versions of it, but unless you installed it yourself, you will probably want to uninstall it. Unless you are having issues with some of your devices or Device Manager shows that you have no drivers installed for some of your devices, then it's not important to update drivers. DriverUpdate has one of the smallest databases of driver updates, which means it finds less driver updates than just about any other driver updater. There are much better driver updaters available for free.

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.