Hitman Pro Alert: I found it completely useless offline

kleptomaniak

Level 1
Thread author
Dec 12, 2018
So last night my ISP decided that no DNS queries were getting though and I had to make sure that I didn't have some nasty virus that disabled my internet. After doing some network checks I tried to scan my PC with HMP Alert and it tried to update the signatures repeatedly. In the end it never scanned anything until my internet came back online like 7 hours later. My HMP Alert is the most recent because it auto updates. I had to fall back to EEK and scan to make sure I had no viruses.

This is terrible because in an office setting I've come across malware that would disable the network connection before and not being able to scan your drives manually offline makes this product completely useless.

F

ForgottenSeer 823865

So last night my ISP decided that no DNS queries were getting though and I had to make sure that I didn't have some nasty virus that disabled my internet. After doing some network checks I tried to scan my PC with HMP Alert and it tried to update the signatures repeatedly. In the end it never scanned anything until my internet came back online like 7 hours later. My HMP Alert is the most recent because it auto updates. I had to fall back to EEK and scan to make sure I had no viruses.

This is terrible because in an office setting I've come across malware that would disable the network connection before and not being able to scan your drives manually offline makes this product completely useless.
ROFL, OF COURSE !
if you did a little bit of researches about HMP Alert, you would know that its scanner is cloud only; for offline scans you need HMP (the on-demand scanner, HMPA being an Anti-Exploit with cloud scans as bonus).

If you have HMPA installed you wont even need HMP. HMP remove only, HMPA prevent. so HMPA is superior.

Last edited by a moderator:

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019

That product is cloud depended by design.
But in general many AVs are too much cloud depended nowadays which I'm not a fan of. Take a look at this from the Malware Protection Test September 2019 of AV-Comparatives. Check out the Offline Detection rate of McAfee, Microsoft, Panda, Symantec and Trend Micro. These AVs are very much cloud depended, focuses less on signatures.
av.PNG

kleptomaniak

Level 1
Thread author
Dec 12, 2018
ROFL, OF COURSE !
if you did a little bit of researches about HMP Alert, you would know that its scanner is cloud only; for offline scans you need HMP (the on-demand scanner, HMPA being an Anti-Exploit with cloud scans as bonus).

If you have HMPA installed you wont even need HMP. HMP remove only, HMPA prevent. so HMPA is superior.

Why would HMPA be cloud only, I thought when you bought HMPA you got HMP. A Cloud based malware scanner without an offline scanner is madness.

F

ForgottenSeer 823865

Why would HMPA be cloud only, I thought when you bought HMPA you got HMP. A Cloud based malware scanner without an offline scanner is madness.
It is not madness, read my post.
HMPA is first an Anti-Exploit, the cloud scanner module is a bonus feature for convenience.
When you buy HMPA, you got the license for HMP, not the soft, you have to install it.
For example I got a license for HMPA but I don't use it at the moment, so it is not installed, but I have HMP which license was activated via HMPA.
If you do some research before buying a soft, you won't be surprised as you are now.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.