HitmanPro-Alert and Bullguard 2018 don't play nice.

Discussion in 'HitmanPro (Sophos)' started by Slyguy, Nov 13, 2017.

1. Slyguy

Slyguy Level 22

Jan 27, 2017
    Fortinet Engineer
    USA
    Other OS
    I noticed on a test machine an interesting issue..

HMPA installed, along with Bullguard 2018.. Stickypassword crashes on browser load. Also the Support Batch file to run diagnostics for Bullguard crashes. Command Processor errors.

Once HMPA is pulled off the issue stops. HMPA back on the issue returns. Disabling all modules and adding exclusions into HMPA doesn't fix it, HMPA has to be removed.

2. Azure Phoenix

Azure Phoenix Level 19

Oct 23, 2014
    Puerto Rico
    I believe Bullguard uses Bitdefender signatures, correct? Does it use other stuff like Bitdefender's active threat control?

I ask cause there has been talk about conflict between HMP.A and Active Threat Control over at Wilders in the past.

3. plat1098

plat1098 Level 5

Aug 23, 2017
    Brooklyn
    Windows 10
    Microsoft
    Do you use any of the public betas like 721 RC or do you have the release 604? You can send dumps or error messages/event viewer reports to support@hitmanpro.com if you want. :)

catjc, shmu26, spaceoctopus and 4 others like this.
  4. Slyguy

Slyguy Level 22

Jan 27, 2017
    Fortinet Engineer
    USA
    Other OS
    #4 Slyguy, Nov 15, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
    Bullguard has good support, but you have to wade through legions of helpdesk and level 1 techs to get anywhere. So far, I've gotten nowhere.

Keeping in mind, this is just a test machine to look for incompatibilities between products and to penetration test on the DMZ against (in some cases) well funded, skilled morons. Anyway, Hitmanpro has given up and told me to try the new Beta. Bullguard is stuck on the 'remove it from quarantine and whitelist it' loop, despite me telling them 3 times nothing is being quarantined and I have excluded everything. If I can't get these two to play nice I am going to have to build out another configuration to test on the DMZ.

No way in hell am I trying that buggy HMPA beta.. The last time I did it nearly bricked a test box, requiring a full re-install of Win10. HMP products IMO are notoriously buggy for quite some time after major new releases come out. (at least past experiences)

Sunshine-boy and lowdetection like this.
  5. Slyguy

Slyguy Level 22

Jan 27, 2017
    Fortinet Engineer
    USA
    Other OS
    Hitman gave up, said for me to run the beta and 'hope' it fixes it. (no way)

Bullguard has given up, saying to uninstall competing products.. LOL

6. lowdetection

lowdetection Level 5

Jul 1, 2017
    China
    Linux
    Isolation
    Really? So, it is recommended to completely uninstall the HitmanPro software.

Where are the developers that talks with each other nowadays? This is not a way to answer to a customer, exp slyguy.

When I can I try to let them speak each other reporting the bug on both parties, and try to reproduce on my machine, or fill a github issue.

Those words from customer support to me sounds like aliens :alien:

mlnevese and TerrakionSmash like this.
  7. zzz00m

zzz00m Level 3

Jun 10, 2017
    USA
    Windows 10
    Avira
    I am running the release version of HMPA v3.6.7, without any conflicts with my AV. Very stable release. Can only think it must be conflicting with some protection in Bullguard. It's unfortunate that they cannot sort it out. Even more odd is that you disabled all HMPA protection and still had issues.

I really like the protection offered by HMPA, but so far I am avoiding the beta too...

8. Slyguy

Slyguy Level 22

Jan 27, 2017
    Fortinet Engineer
    USA
    Other OS
    Yeah, dumb answer.. That was after I had to step through the canned emails they clip and paste about whitelisting, blah blah blah.. I tried to make it clear to them that I already did extensive troubleshooting and that this was a test machine specifically setup to test that combination on a DMZ.

Whatever eh?

9. Slyguy

Slyguy Level 22

Jan 27, 2017
    Fortinet Engineer
    USA
    Other OS
    HMPA still has issues even with the current release version. Some steam games trigger it. Some other random products I have tested trigger it. It's WAY more stable than the old days but not perfect. The beta though.. No way.. Waiting for that to go release before testing it.

10. Slyguy

Slyguy Level 22

Jan 27, 2017
    Fortinet Engineer
    USA
    Other OS
    This was their final response today.. "Remove all security software but Bullguard".

Dear BullGuard User,

Thank you for getting back to us. I come hereby to confirm that the HitmanPro software has a malware removal module and a real-time protection which can conflict with the BullGuard's real-time scanner.

We kindly recommend you to have only one security software installed on your computer, at the same time.

Thank you for your cooperation.

11. Peter2150

Peter2150 Level 6

Oct 24, 2015
    Washington DC
    Windows 7
    Emsisoft
    Well this tells me Bullguard would have to go. I am running HMPA latest beta and it's fine. I had to disable the Local Privelege protection because it conflicts with SBIE, but that's just one of much this beta does. What I run with HMPA alongside is EAM,SBIE,Appguarad,NVT ERP, Heimdal Pro and PrivateWall. All works together and no conflicts. Win 7 Pro X64

zzz00m and lowdetection like this.
  12. lowdetection

lowdetection Level 5

Jul 1, 2017
    China
    Linux
    Isolation
    Really the people that reply to questions are software engineers? :eek:

13. zzz00m

zzz00m Level 3

Jun 10, 2017
    USA
    Windows 10
    Avira
    I would hate to rely entirely on just one security product to protect my PC.

Talk about a single point of failure! :eek:

lowdetection likes this.