Deleted member 178

Thread author
Untitled.jpg

Enjoy :)

Serious Noize

Level 5
Verified
Jan 13, 2014
I selected No. Not to be mean spirited or anything like that, But I selected no because any offer that list percentages off on anything without listing the normal prices for the software must mean that it probably is overpriced to begin with. Or I believe that is what most people will think. Just my opinion and I'm trying to be helpful by mentioning that.

That being said, IMO, Emsisoft is the best Anti-Malware there is. It takes a lot of hard work and money to maintain a standard of excellence which I believe Emsisoft has at this point in time.

In my opinion, to maximize the revenue and income for Emsisoft, they should offer a 1 year 60 Percent off license for 1 PC. 1 Customer at a time, not the whole family. You build off your customer base by dealing with people, not numbers is what I am getting at.

Thank you very much for the offer. I'm not complaining, I'm just trying to help from a consumer standpoint.

Happy Holidays! Thanks again!

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
I selected No. Not to be mean spirited or anything like that, But I selected no because any offer that list percentages off on anything without listing the normal prices for the software must mean that it probably is overpriced to begin with. Or I believe that is what most people will think. Just my opinion and I'm trying to be helpful by mentioning that.

That being said, IMO, Emsisoft is the best Anti-Malware there is. It takes a lot of hard work and money to maintain a standard of excellence which I believe Emsisoft has at this point in time.

In my opinion, to maximize the revenue and income for Emsisoft, they should offer a 1 year 60 Percent off license for 1 PC. 1 Customer at a time, not the whole family. You build off your customer base by dealing with people, not numbers is what I am getting at.

Thank you very much for the offer. I'm not complaining, I'm just trying to help from a consumer standpoint.

I have a feeling they know more than us what sells for them and what doesn't. It's like they run the business and can see every sale. :eek:

Already get a good deal as a loyal customer equivalent to this so no point in using it.

Last edited:

Serious Noize

Level 5
Verified
Jan 13, 2014
I have a feeling they know more than us what sells for them and what doesn't. It's like they run the business and can see every sale. :eek:

Already get a good deal as a loyal customer equivalent to this so no point in using it.

I have a feeling if they are going to have a POLL question and ask, then perhaps they probably don't. :eek:

Reactions: AtlBo
D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
But I selected no because any offer that list percentages off on anything without listing the normal prices for the software must mean that it probably is overpriced to begin with. Or I believe that is what most people will think. Just my opinion and I'm trying to be helpful by mentioning that.
The 33%/40% off are based on the original price of EAM available the rest of the time, we don't use such dirty sales tricks to increase incomes during Christmas or other Black Friday periods...Emsisoft adheres to ethical methods. :)

Our Black Friday/Cyber Monday deal was exactly that but with 50%, which is already good enough.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 65228

Thread author
But I selected no because any offer that list percentages off on anything without listing the normal prices for the software must mean that it probably is overpriced to begin with. Or I believe that is what most people will think. Just my opinion and I'm trying to be helpful by mentioning that.
At the end of the day, do you want great protection and fast support via forum/e-mail for around 30 euro /yr (w/ discounts to lower than even more!) or do you want to speak on the phone to an Indian call centre? And get put on hold for 30m every 10s?

Thread author
Not to be mean spirited or anything like that, But I selected no because any offer that list percentages off on anything without listing the normal prices for the software must mean that it probably is overpriced to begin with.

Software is most definitely not overpriced. If anything, it is underpriced considering the high underlying expenses to develop, bring to market and keep a software on the market. Support is a high expense. For smaller publishers, it just isn't economically feasible and that is why so many go bust within the first 10 years. Some one-man shops work 70, 80, 90+ hours per week month after month, year after year, just to keep their softs alive.

The mentality is that software should cost next to nothing - some absurd low amount like $5 or $10 - or should be free. Until the world does not require money, then we require payment in the form of money for our product. Then there is the argument that not all countries have the same exchange rates, or same rates of pay, and similar things. We, and the industry cannot do anything about that ! That's life. Life is unfair. I live in a part of the world where expenses here are 10,000X higher than in other parts of the world. So the unfairness goes all the way around.

Unless a publisher is selling in volume - and by that I mean millions and millions of licenses - and achieve economies of scale - then they have to sell at economically practical prices that support operational expenses, expansion, etc.

But the vast majority of security soft buyers want something for next to nothing. At least that is the case in the home user market.

And if anyone has not noticed, the actual trend is for less steep discounts during the holidays for soft discounts. In the past 70 and 80 % discounts were pretty common among most vendors. Nowadays it is more or less 20, 30, 40 and 50 %. It varies with the vendor, but I am noticing more and more vendors being more judicious in offering less deep discounts.

The whole concept of "freeware" and "shareware" is changing. That model is an anachronism. If you want software nowadays, you have to pay for it. And the prices that publishers are asking are more than reasonable considering the expense costs the publisher has to bear.

Last edited by a moderator:

BigWrench

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 13, 2014

Couldn't have said it any better! PERFECT. (y)

Serious Noize

Level 5
Verified
Jan 13, 2014
Software is most definitely not overpriced. If anything, it is underpriced considering the high underlying expenses to develop, bring to market and keep a software on the market. Support is a high expense. For smaller publishers, it just isn't economically feasible and that is why so many go bust within the first 10 years. Some one-man shops work 70, 80, 90+ hours per week month after month, year after year, just to keep their softs alive.

What you are saying a point of perspective perhaps. Not a fact. Perspective's are not always facts. In my opinion. Favoritism's always make people feel good where their sources go, but the reality of everything is that no matter what the facts are the facts, and the facts are, by comparison Emsisoft Antimalware is over priced. Their argument is "Want the best protection : PAY ME", I mean really. When you think about it, from a consumer standpoint, in what way could I know that they aren't the ones supporting the threat? And I mean that for any Anti-Virus/Anti-Spyware company? You tell me, I would like to know and I am asking?

How do you put a price on protecting others on the Internet?

Business is BUSINESS. And I often wonder if the various Anti-virus companies and their hackers they hire aren't told to release some new variant every now and then to promote the protection of their product. JUST AN OPINION, NOT A FACT!

As for Emsisoft, I like the company, they seem genuine in the fact that they got the gumption to not give away their software for promotion most of the time. Although lately they did give it away TO GERMAN USERS ONLY. As for that, being an American Citizen and not having the same opportunity that doesn't sit too well for me. If it's such a great product, then does that mean "It ONLY WORKS IN GERMANY?"...... LOL!!!! I'm kidding, but still, it set's a president for a bad advertising situation, IN MY OPINION. They should have said, Okay we are going to have X amount of licenses on this date and announced it to ALL and give everyone fair warning and made it open to all.

Instead they said : "Well, if you live here, we will give it to you for Free".

So I guess it only protects against German VIRUSES? I'm kidding, but think about what I am saying here.

It's ridiculous, you buy the product, and then find out someone else got it GIVE TO THEM. Says something really special about how they treat their customer base.

I mean if you are going to GIVE AWAY 1 YEAR SERVICE as a PROMOTION, your customers should automatically get 1 YEAR.

Just saying. Life isn't fair, but that doesn't mean YOU HAVE TO LIKE IT, NOR DO YOU HAVE TO AGREE WITH IT!

And when something is given away FOR FREE TO OTHERS and YOU PURCHASED the product, it leaves you with a very bad SUPPORT feeling for that company.

Those are my thoughts and opinions on the subject/subjects. Apologies if it offends anyone.

Seasons Greetings Everyone!

Reactions: R2D2 and AtlBo

BigWrench

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 13, 2014
What you are saying a point of perspective perhaps. Not a fact. Perspective's are not always facts. In my opinion. Favoritism's always make people feel good where their sources go, but the reality of everything is that no matter what the facts are the facts, and the facts are, by comparison Emsisoft Antimalware is over priced. Their argument is "Want the best protection : PAY ME", I mean really. When you think about it, from a consumer standpoint, in what way could I know that they aren't the ones supporting the threat? And I mean that for any Anti-Virus/Anti-Spyware company? You tell me, I would like to know and I am asking?

Business is BUSINESS. And I often wonder if the various Anti-virus companies and their hackers they hire aren't told to release some new variant every now and then to promote the protection of their product. JUST AN OPINION, NOT A FACT!

As for Emsisoft, I like the company, they seem genuine in the fact that they got the gumption to not give away their software for promotion most of the time. Although lately they did give it away TO GERMAN USERS ONLY. As for that, being an American Citizen and not having the same opportunity that doesn't sit too well for me. If it's such a great product, then does that mean "It ONLY WORKS IN GERMANY?"...... LOL!!!! I'm kidding, but still, it set's a president for a bad advertising situation, IN MY OPINION. They should have said, Okay we are going to have X amount of licenses on this date and announced it to ALL and give everyone fair warning and made it open to all.

So I guess it only protects against German VIRUSES? I'm kidding, but think about what I am saying here.

It's ridiculous, you buy the product, and then find out someone else got it GIVE TO THEM. Says something really special about how they treat their customer base.

I mean if you are going to GIVE AWAY 1 YEAR SERVICE as a PROMOTION, your customers should automatically get 1 YEAR.

Just saying. Life isn't fair, but that doesn't mean YOU HAVE TO LIKE IT, NOR DO YOU HAVE TO AGREE WITH IT!

And when something is given away FOR FREE TO OTHERS and YOU PURCHASED the product, it leaves you with a very bad SUPPORT feeling for that company.

Those are my thoughts and opinions on the subject/subjects. Apologies if it offends anyone.

You're on a roll! Agreed. (y)

Reactions: AtlBo
D

Deleted member 178

Thread author

I think you didn't understand what the promo you mentioned was ... and i can understand since you are not part of any parties involved ;)

It was a giveaways requested by the said site (chip.de) which is German site so they made it for German users only.
Giveaways are not made by us, a site decide to make one, contact us and request some licenses for it; if we both agree to the terms of the giveaway, then we let them manage it their way, on their terms. We don't interfere in the process. Like some Giveaways we often make with MalwareTips, we don't tell how to do, who to allow, who to block.
Our job in any giveaways is only to issue licenses for the winners.

Giveaways are not managed by us and details are specific to the sites doing it.

To differentiate things, we have a Holiday Deal active right now, we, Emsisoft, made it so everybody has access to it and the promo is on our terms.

Don't mistake one for the other. :)

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
Voted yes, but I am not going to buy it right now. Emsisoft seems headed in a very good direction, and the offer seems in the spirit of the season. I do agree that specialized software should not be free. That said, it is wise to me that security companies offer free security applications. For example, Comodo could easily cash in on their contributions to free security at some point if they can seriously get in the game with endpoint software. That would put the company in a position to continue to offer the free software for home use. This is true of all companies.

There will always be free security software. The good karma is too good to pass on. That said, a company like Kas or Emsi moving more toward software for a price doesn't intimidate me as long as the software is worth the extra expense. In this case, Emsisoft deserves the money imo.

For me btw, the reasoning that the money incentive could mean that a company would commit a crime (introducing malware) to intimidate its customers seems to me like a ludicrous idea. Imagine if this happened and the company were caught. None of the major companies would take this risk, although I wouldn't be 100% surprised if this type of thing may have happened in the past. Maybe some isolated set of employees in a security company seeking to create a stir and somehow benefit on a personal level might have at some point done something like this. Don't think recently though (early 2000s or so maybe). So, yes someone within a company who wrote or viewed malware could say he had an idea about how to stop one he participated in creating. Anyway, this would be practically impossible for a security company as an entity to actually do without being noticed and eventually caught. It wouldn't make sense to even think of such a thing for them. And one more thing. If anything the shortage of money is a more powerful incentive than too much for the kind of person who would be prone to try to do this...

Thread author
For me btw, the reasoning that the money incentive could mean that a company would commit a crime (introducing malware) to intimidate its customers seems to me like a ludicrous idea.

Sort of like the false accusation that the medical profession makes you deliberately sick through extraneous sinister means so that you have no choice but to use the medical system and have to pay artificially inflated prices.

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
Imagine if this happened and the company were caught. None of the major companies would take this risk, although I wouldn't be 100% surprised if this type of thing may have happened in the past.
It happened, a big Chinese security vendor did it, get caught, the CEO was jailed and sentenced to death, not sure if they inflicted the judgement tough.

R2D2

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Aug 7, 2017
I like Emsisoft, I really do and this offer is tempting. They come across as an earnest organisation. So, yeah, if there was a 'Maybe' option in this poll that would have suited my current thoughts better than a Yes or No. But I did choose 'Yes' since I am positively inclined towards this product. :)

Giving me pause for thought are the following: I am waiting for my 2 AV subscriptions (NS Premium & KIS) to expire or at least get closer to expiry in mid '18. There is only so much $$ I can sink into buying software given I purchased a bunch of stuff i.e. Heimdal Pro, Winpatrol Suite & Zemana Antilogger earlier this year.

But Emisoft is certainly going to have me as a customer in the not too distant future.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.