Host Mechanic - Edit, Delete or Restore default Hosts file in Windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.

WinAndLinuxTutorials

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 23, 2011
:welcomewave:

What is Hosts file?
AskVG said:
"Hosts" file is an important system file in Windows which maps host names to IP addresses. Its a simple text file which is stored in "%windir%\System32\drivers\etc\" folder in Windows NT, 2000, XP, Server 2003, Vista, Server 2008 and Windows 7 32-bit editions. In 64-bit editions, it might be also stored in "%windir%\SysWOW64\drivers\etc\" folder.

The hosts file's structure is very simple. It contains text lines containing IP address followed by the hostname.

Sometimes this hosts file is hijacked by viruses, adware, spyware or trojan horse software and is modified to redirect your web browser to various websites containing malicious code. It might also block security websites and Windows Update website in your system so that you can't install security updates and virus definitions in your operating system.

Information about Host Mechanic:
AskVG said:
"Host Mechanic" is a free software for Windows which allows you to edit, delete or restore default Hosts file in Windows. This free tool can be used in Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7 and Windows 8 Developer Preview.

Download here (please don't play with it if you don't know what are you doing!): http://www.askvg.com/host-mechanic-freeware-to-edit-delete-or-restore-hosts-file-in-windows/

Hope this helps you :)

WinAndLinuxTutorials

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 23, 2011
umbrapolaris said:
i used to use Hostman and HostXpert

I find this to be very simple. It can be used after the removal of fake antivirus programs which play around with the hosts file.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
It is very limited in features compared to HostsMan.
HostsMan is the best host file manager that I have found.

Thanks.:D

WinAndLinuxTutorials

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 23, 2011
Littlebits said:
It is very limited in features compared to HostsMan.
HostsMan is the best host file manager that I have found.

Thanks.:D

Yeah, the author said he will make it a lot more advanced in the next version. We'll see. :cool:

moonshine

Level 7
Verified
Apr 19, 2011
I'm using HostsMan and I find this software to lack much that I'm keeping HostsMan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.