HotspotShield test report: VPN service with close relations to US services and authorities.

FrFc1908

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 28, 2016
This text is Google translated

We have tested a VPN vendor, which has a special relationship with US authorities and secret services: HotspotShield.

Where of course many questions, why one offer a VPN service as anonymization, but which is quite openly supported by US secret service circles. This requires understanding the logic. Many citizens in the US continue to think that the authorities want to do good things for them, and undoubtedly this is true. Whether we as Europeans want to trust this after all the information we have since Edward Snowdens documents about this also a service, is another question!

"The Hotspotshield users trust in the protection of foreigners' privacy by US authorities."
This is why this review differs a little from our usual format. We have also received no technical answers to our written inquiries to Hotspotshield. Much of what we could discover has confirmed our assumptions. There are clear connections to US intelligence NSA and the FBI! And in the end, every user should be aware of the potential of "monitoring"

Looking at the responsible managers of HotspotShield, the proximity and connections with the US authorities reveals:
  • Alec Ross
    He was a technological advisor to Hillary Clinton when she was a member of the US government and at that time also supported the attempt and start of international surveillance on the Internet by the NSA directly with the US government.
  • Reed E. Hundt
    He was chairman of the United States Federal Communications Commission under Bill Clinton as President of the US and thus presumably significantly involved in the expansion of the NSA surveillance measures at that time.
  • Dr. Peter Hoag
    He was also a co-founder of a CIA subsidiary, Cardinal Technologies , which sought technological unification of data transmissions in the US networks. Cardinal Technologies was also a consultant to some US-friendly governments in Europe and is probably still working for US-based intelligence services.
  • Kevin Cook
    He is still in the management of the Barracuda Network , which became known through their "backdoors" on the hard drives and firewall ingloriously.
  • Rick Roth
    Is known as a national adviser to the US authorities for corporate networks in the USA and is regarded as a liaison between national interests and corporate interests in the USA.
  • Doug Maine
    He worked for IBM as a financial manager. IBM itself is known for the cooperation with US authorities also became international espionage and was banished from China among other things.
  • Greg Coleman
    He has worked in a number of US-based corporations in senior editorial offices such as AOL, Huffington Post, and some online media houses, all of which provide US government-friendly reporting, as well as public opinion, as well as circumvention of government encryption.
Reference : All persons are also listed as managers and managers of the operating company " AnchorFree.com - Team " of HotSpotShield.

The list of allegedly "US government delegates" to Hotspotshield could be extended even further. It is rather unlikely to assume that all of these people have suddenly committed themselves to protecting the privacy and anonymity of international users. A public stand for "freedom and democracy" does not necessarily mean a respectful approach to the privacy of non-US citizens. What is meant by freedom, whether this is only for US citizens or for each user is to use the hotspotshield, remains unclear. Even if many of these people state this as the main argument for your commitment yourself!

The "Goldman Sachs Group" finances the company!

Anyone who installs HotspotShield may also become part of the "US strategy for international surveillance on the Internet".

Hotspotshield can also be called
"Trojans with voluntary self-installation of the users!"

What sounds ironic at first sight, however, has a serious background. Because the technical components of the service allow it to monitor the users much better than without the use of the case. With allegedly 400 million installations on PC`s worldwide, Hotspotshield can be a quite interesting factor in the strategy to monitor the entire world on the Internet!

Technical conditions also allow targeted monitoring.
In our test, we have installed the application on a specially prepared Windows PC. In addition to the usual VPN connection certificates, access certificates were also installed. In this case it would be technically possible to connect to the user's PC without warning or to send different data to decoded servers without being requested. The data transmission would be encrypted as well, and the user can hardly provide any proof of this.

The communication of the company suggests protection of one's privacy, anonymity and security! It is important, however, that potential users are also aware of the dangers that may arise.

Freedom and protection for Turkish oppositionists! But turns out to be a Trojan horse with US support! Possibly to consciously undermine freedom of expression!
Particularly bad in our view, it is also, since Hotspotshield in the last years also massively and specifically in Turkey was advertised. This should obviously lead to government-critical activists to trust this service. As a Turkish journalist recently reported on Twitter, he was charged with government criticism and he had always used Hotspotshield.

"Turkish authorities detain VOA & BBC reporters, adding to 145 journalists already in jails in Turkey -world's largest prison for journalists Twitter "

Meanwhile, however, the use of Hotspotshield within Turkey has been blocked.

mal1

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Oct 1, 2015
I'm not a business (or computer) major, but Anchorfree the startup behind Hotspot shield, is financed through "angel investing". For startups like this to survive, they need "angel groups or networks". These groups or networks are usually corporate officers who work(ed) for big banks and the government. The board of advisors of ANY company (even security companies) is made up of people who serve(d) on the boards of Goldman Sachs and similar finance groups, the same people may have worked for the government. There's nothing new about this. I don't see any wrongdoing here.
"The trojan horse" claim needs to be independently verified, my guess it's slander against Hotspot shield.

Last edited:

DracusNarcrym

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 16, 2015
I'm not a business (or computer) major, but Anchorfree the startup behind Hotspot shield, is financed through "angel investing". For startups like this to survive, they need "angel groups or networks". These groups or networks are usually corporate officers who work(ed) for big banks and the government. The board advisors of ANY company (even security companies) is made up of people who serve(d) on the boards of Goldam Sachs and similar finance groups, the same people may have worked for the government. There's nothing new about this. I don't see any wrongdoing here.
"The trojan horse" claim needs to be independently verified, my guess it's slander against Hotspot shield.
That's some nice insight there, @mal1.

This is a must-read post for this specific topic.

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
Mine is PureVPN and its based in Hong Kong, thank-god for choosing this VPN :=)
How is PureVPN? I've heard some good things here and there. I've been using NordVPN for about 8 months now and I'm not all that impressed. The UI used to be pretty much non-functional a couple of months ago (thankfully they've updated it now in the beta) and the speed/reliability are crap. I've never seen over 8Mbps (I have a 70Mbps connection myself) and I can't keep it on permanently because the connection freezes up all the time.
Thinking about switching to PureVPN once my subscription runs out in June but I'd like to get your thoughts on it, and anyone else who's used it.

Ethan Joshua

Level 1
Feb 16, 2017
How is PureVPN? I've heard some good things here and there. I've been using NordVPN for about 8 months now and I'm not all that impressed. The UI used to be pretty much non-functional a couple of months ago (thankfully they've updated it now in the beta) and the speed/reliability are crap. I've never seen over 8Mbps (I have a 70Mbps connection myself) and I can't keep it on permanently because the connection freezes up all the time.
Thinking about switching to PureVPN once my subscription runs out in June but I'd like to get your thoughts on it, and anyone else who's used it.
The speed of PureVPN is unbeatable and easy to use. Recommended!

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
The speed of PureVPN is unbeatable and easy to use. Recommended!
Yeah, I've heard it's fast which is good. What concerns me is I've also heard it has some pretty serious IPv6 and DNS leaks. It's got a 7 day money-back guarantee so I'll probably have to test this myself unless someone can confirm or deny that.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.