How can I get my hands on some malware to test?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, I’m ___ and from
North America
Age group
21 - 30
Last known PC infection
Over 5 years ago or never
Fav. Web Browser
Google Chrome
Fav. Mobile OS
Android
Fav. Desktop OS
Windows
Fav. Antivirus
Strong passwords.
Fav. Videogame
Halo 3

SherpaSteve

Thread author
Apr 4, 2018
Hey galls/guys!

Here is what I want to do. I want to infect a VM with some ransomware so I can show a group what it looks like and what it does. I came here looking for places to download samples, but I cant figure it out. I can get to the "Malware Hub", but then what?

Thanks!

I

illumination

Hey galls/guys!

Here is what I want to do. I want to infect a VM with some ransomware so I can show a group what it looks like and what it does. I came here looking for places to download samples, but I cant figure it out. I can get to the "Malware Hub", but then what?

Thanks!
Hello and Welcome to MalwareTips!

I would like to take this time, to state, that if you have to ask where to find samples, you probably have no business messing with them. Once upon a time, i knew a user, that had his VM improperly configured, he tested a anti ransomware application against some Ransomware's, and one of them encrypted his "D" drive on his Host machine. This is not a game, if you have no idea how to set up, and protect your Host and Network, you really should avoid messing with any of it. Not to mention, there are rules and stipulations in place to access samples at this forum.

Last edited by a moderator:

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
Steve- If you just want to show people how ransomware works and its effects on a PC, why not go here instead: Video Reviews

There are MANY ransomware videos to choose from and use as demonstrations- and actually the variety you can find there will be greater than you could have found on your own.

And I have to second the comment from PathFinder- if you don't know how to go about testing malware in a VM it it may be a very bad idea to try.

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
'Doctor's not taking care of himself.' This is a Japanese proverb. It means that the doctor who was absorbed in the research becomes sick. Enjoy, paying the latest attention!
There are many stories to be helpful other than sample collection.

Welcome!:D

tim one

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Jul 31, 2014
Welcome to MT :)

As already said, if you want to play with malware without the right skills, keep in mind that malware will not play with you.
There is something very serious about malware testing, and the risk is that your next post will be in the Malware Removal Assistance section on this forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.