How Chinese AV company Rising tried to steal a concurrent technology.

• Thread starter Deleted member 178
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
Rising Antivirus, or Rui Xing (瑞星) as Chinese call it, is one of the largest anti-virus software companies in China, with over 500 employees and more than 50 million Chinese home users.

Eastern Micropoint (微点主动防御软件), on the other hand, is a still a start-up, unremarkable except for the 2005 allegations that it released several malware to the internet.

The connection between these two? Yu Bing, former director of Beijing Cyberpolice in charge of internet security (北京市公安局公共信息网络安全监察处). On February 4, 2010, Yu bing was tried by Beijing No. 1 Intermediate People's Court (北京市一中院) on charges of graft amounting to 14 million yuan as well as deliberate framing and persecution of Eastern Micropoint...

Link: http://torisefromashes.blogspot.com/2010/02/chinese-antivirus-giant-rising-bribe.html

and then:

A Chinese court has found a high-up security official guilty of corruption, taking over 14 million yuan (over US $2 million) in bribes from different internet security companies, and sending out anti-virus warnings to boost sales of an anti-virus product.

Link: http://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2010/12/13/death-chinese-anti-virus-kickback-plot/

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
when you have 50 millions of customers only in you country, i think you don't care so much about repercussions...

AyeAyeCaptain

Level 1
Feb 24, 2011
iobit suffered a lot when they was naughty, so why not Rising? Then again that country is supressed quite a bit so am sure they'll maybe just carry on regardless.

Account

Oct 19, 2011
One cant place European or western values on Chinese Market Rising / iobit etc play by a different play book, even if Rising were to lose 10 million customer's its no bid deal , with the amount of new users coming on line in china each year,

If your in china its a bribe for the nut and another for the bolt ,
I think the difference between the iobit and Rising will be a lot more western users used iobit that was the big impact on iobit , not sure how many western users use Rising .

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
Account said:
One cant place European or western values on Chinese Market Rising / iobit

i agree, im from both cultures, asian and western, in Asia business is first before "fairness".

ocsi

Level 1
Oct 26, 2011
But, China produce very good security programs (Malware Defender, Qihoo 360, Jiangmin, Kingsoft, etc). Too bad as trying to steal!!!

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
Account said:
One cant place European or western values on Chinese Market Rising / iobit etc play by a different play book,

You can if they are trying to operate in a European or Western market...

They need to understand that what may in fact be common practice in their country, is seen as underhanded and untrustworthy in others. If they expect to do business in other countries, they're going to have to meet those countries expectations.

Account

Oct 19, 2011
Well i would not go so far as to call Kingsoft a good security program Average maybe lol
business first , beat the competition any way u can,

GabiCRX

Level 8
Verified
Jun 24, 2011
Hmm, Rising again, the malware creators, it seems like they can't stay out of trouble !
If they cant face competition they should do something else !

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
GabiCRX said:
Hmm, Rising again, the malware creators, it seems like they can't stay out of trouble !
If they cant face competition they should do something else !

it is not facing competition it is about stealing technology. Micropoint seems to have developped a good Behavior Blocker technology, and Rising just want it.

moonshine

Level 7
Verified
Apr 19, 2011
Main reasons why I stay away from Chinese Security Companies.
1. They're the ones that are creating the malware that their software detects
2. They always seems to steal technologies from one another
3. Most of these companies doesn't have good tech support with international customers
4. Most of the software that are being made aren't top notch

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
BoXX28 said:
Main reasons why I stay away from Chinese Security Companies.
1. They're the ones that are creating the malware that their software detects
2. They always seems to steal technologies from one another
3. Most of these companies doesn't have good tech support with international customers
4. Most of the software that are being made aren't top notch

agree, but have some exceptions.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
From no.4 I really agree since most were not top notched and didn't award due to poor performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.