How did Avast know I have a Google account?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Finishing the avast Free Antivirus for Windows, and I am surprised to see this message with an Accept or Decline.

upload_2015-4-29_20-54-4.png

Why I am concerned?!

My.avast.com Account does not use my Gmail address.
My Chrome's Profile is using my alternate Gmail address (not the one shown above).
My Android device does not have any Avast app currently installed.

As far as I am concerned, avast should NOT know this information. :mad:

Could anyone help find an explanation, because this is baffling. :confused::confused:

Y

yigido

Have you asked Google?

They are getting it from Google.
Hello
Thank you for contacting our support center with your concerns.

We have got it from your chrome account. If you are signed (permanently) to your google account in some web browser, avast can read your devices added to this account and offer our products. this situation can't be blocked.

Best regards,
Source:https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/chrome/p4TeRmTmcd8

Have you asked Google?

They are getting it from Google.

Source:https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/chrome/p4TeRmTmcd8
by the way you can block it by not using Avast

Last edited by a moderator:

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I hadn't searched Google :(, as I only discovered this and thought I should share immediately. ;)

So even if my "Android Gmail" address was NOT active, Avast scanned my PC/Browser for any Google information to upsell/promote avast products. Would you able to find this in the Privacy Policy / License Agreement?

Avast Community is enabled by default, and can only be disabled post-install.

Kent

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Nov 4, 2013
I hadn't searched Google :(, as I only discovered this and thought I should share immediately. ;)

So even if my "Android Gmail" address was NOT active, Avast scanned my PC/Browser for any Google information to upsell/promote avast products. Would you able to find this in the Privacy Policy / License Agreement?
Do you use Avast browser extension?

Reactions: nissimezra

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013
One of the things about antivirus programs is that they check your user Profile & Settings and Stored Profile data (.dat files)
There are a number of reasons for this but the biggest reason for a average user is that people want user friendly can do it all software.
And since most users do not have a clue how to set things correctly brands like Avast make the process automated based upon simple yes and no configurations.
Now the fact is that most AV brands and third party software do have at least some form of data gathering, however to be truth full here i personally would not mind if Avast gathers some info from my account (If i would use it) as Avast is a respectable and trustworthy brand.
However on the surface we cannot see which brands are collecting data which benefit the user, or which benefits the company (which is imo a NO GO) and thats why i have been extremely skeptic about brands like Comodo, Qihoo, Tencent and some of these other wukkiduda brands.
Anyway i would not be worried much about avast gathering some data, afterall you guys wanted a hassle free auto config system, avast is just giving you that.

Kind Regards
Cheers

aztony

Level 9
Verified
Oct 15, 2013
I think Avast has some kind of partnership with Google. It probably also explains why Avast always try to cram Chrome down the throats of its users. Even when they opt-out during initial installation Avast comes right back with Chrome during in-GUI program updates.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Do you use Avast browser extension?
I only marked File System and Home Network Security for installation. I do not use any unneeded browser extensions except LastPass/AdBlock.

Anyway i would not be worried much about avast gathering some data, afterall you guys wanted a hassle free auto config system, avast is just giving you that.

The price of FREE. :)

All I wanted was an Antivirus, not extra garbage, but my guess is that Avast Pro, Suite and Premier will offer this to paying customers.

Last edited:

Janl92l

Level 7
Verified
Nov 7, 2014
All I wanted was an Antivirus, not extra garbage, but my guess is that Avast Pro, Suite and Premier will offer this to paying customers.
If u want a Antivirus without any bloat,any garbage u can just test qihoo ts essential. no registration needed,no ad popups,no bloat,nothing. a simple av module with 2 extra engines not preinstalled and a sandbox for testing(nice + for me). its maybe the "cleanest" free av at the moment.

Reactions: Balrog

Nirv5668

Level 2
Verified
Mar 21, 2015
Its strange they detected that G-mail and not the one you were signed into chrome with...I guess because that is not the one on the Android. I don't personally use Avast on my PC (I use it on a mac), but I have used the windows version and installed it on other's PC's. I think they have a nice user experience, actually kind of fun and playful somehow. I kind of see why they would prioritize usability over privacy...but I never got a good feeling about them and privacy. But, as far as companies go, I think they are trustworthy (they would be more so if they made this clear- 'we can help find other devices where Avast! could be installed using your google data...blah blah...press ok to continue'). This would just lead to less of the creepy feeling.

Their privacy doesn't seem like the absolute worst based on this document (that goes to McAffee, TrendMicro, & Webroot :eek:)
http://www.av-comparatives.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/avc_datasending_2014_en.pdf

At least Avast! answered 'No' to "Are special updates delivered to users with specific IDs?" - I have no idea what this means, but it sounds quite strange and no one will answer 'Yes' to this (just 'prefer not to say', which probably means yes).
Edit: Just re-read, the 'special updates' are what they seem- to theoretically allow monitoring software, etc., maybe with a court order. So, its pretty impressive that Avast! says they don't do this.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kent and Ink
I

illumination

I have never liked Avast myself, have cleaned many a system around my parts of the world with avast free on them. But as mentioned above, it is free, and why many gravitate towards it.

The privacy issue, well, i have a theory on internet privacy, its called "there is none".. From the moment you connect to your ISP to the applications you use and the websites you visit, all is seen, and mostly collected if not stored.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
are encountered.
(6) Offering of our mobile products: When you download or update our product, we may use information contained in third party cookies on your computer, such as information about the operating system on your mobile devices and related email address. We will use this information only for the purpose of offering you our mobile products such as Avast Free Mobile Security and, in case you agree, installing them on your device(s). Then we will maintain this information only for statistical

Oh well that's the power of declared privacy policy, and well all admit to take this for granted ;).

https://www.avast.com/privacy-policy

Last edited:
Reactions: Ink

Jaspion

Level 17
Verified
Jun 5, 2013
One of the things about antivirus programs is that they check your user Profile & Settings and Stored Profile data (.dat files)
There are a number of reasons for this but the biggest reason for a average user is that people want user friendly can do it all software.
And since most users do not have a clue how to set things correctly brands like Avast make the process automated based upon simple yes and no configurations.
Now the fact is that most AV brands and third party software do have at least some form of data gathering, however to be truth full here i personally would not mind if Avast gathers some info from my account (If i would use it) as Avast is a respectable and trustworthy brand.
However on the surface we cannot see which brands are collecting data which benefit the user, or which benefits the company (which is imo a NO GO) and thats why i have been extremely skeptic about brands like Comodo, Qihoo, Tencent and some of these other wukkiduda brands.

Kind Regards
Cheers

If u want a Antivirus without any bloat,any garbage u can just test qihoo ts essential. no registration needed,no ad popups,no bloat,nothing. a simple av module with 2 extra engines not preinstalled and a sandbox for testing(nice + for me). its maybe the "cleanest" free av at the moment.

Think about it, avast! are one of the few companies being honest about at least some of what info they gather. Like Nico said, avast! is a trustworthy brand that we have known for years, one of the first AV brands if I'm not mistaken, and some data gathering is more than expected to offer this kind of product. They are gathering this info and using it to offer a more user-friendly experience, and that's understandable. Now think about Qihoo and other brands like Baidu, Tencent, Comodo, etc. Let's take Qihoo as an example, it appears to be bloat-free and to have such and such nice features, but in the end what this avast! issue is showing us is how easy it is for them to collect a lot of information about you. So avast! is always nagging us about buying their paid products, and maybe that's a good thing, maybe that generates revenue in the end for them, and it makes the story that they can offer free products, like an AV, more believable. Now, I'm not so sure if we can trust all brands equally, and our example Qihoo doesn't have a completely believable story with their "loss leader" thing going on, IMO. So it makes you wonder how they're really making a buck. Even Baidu is more believable, because it is known they are the "Google of China", so they do earn a lot of money from advertising, and having an AV to boost their name makes some sense at least. By the way, have you guys read that purported Anonymous report on Qihoo?

Reactions: Nico@FMA

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
Avast is more awesome WITHOUT Google... :p I just don't like anything Google. :rolleyes:

Now tonight I was going to install Avast (Test ran it after 2 yrs, runs lighter-better!)... and this older machine soon to retire... but Google partners, pop up ones own email *sigh* like spyware :oops:

This PC is cruising fast and stable, wanna keep it that way lol. I'll still choose Avast over Qihoo which hasn't been around nearly as long.

I might try AVG for a third time, but I dunno I didnt like it the last two times haha, for me it will probably come down between free's AVG - Avast.

Panda is light but pokey heavier when UI is open and scan is only semi-quick and slow on full scan, no offline signature protection.

Then there's buggy Bitdefender free. I like its simplicity, but it runs in cycles on its own, more suited for novice AV users, who get lost in settings.

Comodo wont run 8.2, but was great on 8.1. but can't use it on this desktop, the UI is too modern now won't appear on screen ;)

MSE, better off with just an online scanner.

Avira, updater is weird lately... and little zero day on free version, but I like Avira.

Last edited:

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
@JakeXPMan: Well Panda has stored generic detection/heuristic in offline protection even its fully cloud enhaced. ;)

Avira updater is totally sometimes consistent on having problems in retrieving definition even you have good connection.

Reactions: JakeXPMan

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
@JakeXPMan: Well Panda has stored generic detection/heuristic in offline protection even its fully cloud enhaced. ;)

Avira updater is totally sometimes consistent on having problems in retrieving definition even you have good connection.

Oh that's good Panda has that function, wasn't aware.

I'm probably going to install Avast, with AVG as the darkhorse in the running.

Comodo's UI in 8.2 won't appear on the screen (who knows why)... or else I'd stay on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.