Off-Topic How Did You Come Up With Your Username?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by ofbeautyandrage, Apr 23, 2016.

1. I've been curious to see how everyone came up with their usernames here.

How I came up with mine was that I liked the band Red, and its from the title of their album that was released last year.

2. Cats-4_Owners-2

Cats-4_Owners-2 Level 37
    Trusted

Dec 4, 2013
    Southern California (east of Los Angeles)
    Windows 10
    Kaspersky
    #2 Cats-4_Owners-2, Apr 24, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2016
    In our home, we are outnumbered by the amount of rescued cats we care for & love.:rolleyes: Amazingly, none would know this:confused: by the non-existant odors. Even when my son comes home to visit, we do not surpass in numbers these cuddly (& often times infuriating:mad:) living, breathing, stuffed animals, whom bring us a great deal of joy! So, when I was deciding upon a username I'd thought:eek:_O writing it down like a scorecard might make a good one. I hope you think so too.

BTW, @ofbeautyandrage, the band Red chose well and so did you!:cool:

3. hjlbx

hjlbx Guest

Railroad handle...

4. juhful

juhful Level 12

Jun 22, 2013
    North America
    Nickname given to me by my wife way back in the day, it's my initials spelled as they would sound...jfl=juhful

5. LabZero

LabZero Guest

Simply the best audio speakers...;)

6. frogboy

frogboy Level 61
    Trusted

Jun 9, 2013
    Heavy Duty Mechanic.
    Western Australia
    Windows 10
    Emsisoft
    Many years ago, about 18 years i think i was putting my jeans on on a cold winters morning and i got a hell of a fright as there a frog in one of the legs and my wife started calling me frogboy so when i joined MT i said to my wife what should i pick as a username and there you have it frogboy was born. :D

7. Kate_L

Kate_L Former Member

Jun 21, 2014
    Computer Security
    Easy, my name is Katerina Larisa so Katerina_Larisa :)

8. kev216

kev216 Level 18
    Content Creator Trusted

Aug 6, 2014
    Belgium
    Windows 10
    Sophos
    kev comes from my name Kevin, but people call me often kev, so I chose that. Once i needed to make a new gmail adress, but my name was already taken and one of the suggestions was adding 216 to it, so since then its my lucky number and I use it everywhere :)

9. Yash Khan

Yash Khan Level 51

Oct 22, 2012
    I dont remember but was registering at some forum or site & was in hurry & every name I was trying was already registered so I tried yesno (Yes + No) & it too came already registered then tried yesnoo i.e extra o & was available. So I just tried yesnoo on other forums & sites & was available.

I am thinking of changing yesnoo on all forums & sites.

10. Spawn

Spawn Administrator
    Staff Member Content Creator

Jan 8, 2011
    This explains a lot of my questions about your username. :)

11. illumination

illumination Guest

I'm the guy that stands back out of situations and watches, moving around in the background gathering information while doing this, I am able to see the whole picture of the situation, where those that are deeply involved tend to see only partial bits from concentrating on the upfront aspects. After a bit of time, I will enter the situation to "illuminate" what they are over looking.

jadinolf, BugCode, shukla44 and 20 others like this.
  12. Noxx

Noxx Guest

Inspired by the Nox people from the Stargate SG1 franchise lore. They were somewhat of a "nature" race (lived in a forested planet), they were highly intelligent (heightened senses in general), harnessed bio-electric fields to resurrect people as well as to render objects invisible, somewhat pacifistic, but nevertheless had the technological ability to defend themselves against hostile threats if need be.

jadinolf, BugCode, shukla44 and 19 others like this.
  13. OokamiCreed

OokamiCreed Level 18
    Trusted

May 8, 2015
    Student (Information Technology)
    Pennsylvania (east of Pittsburgh)
    Windows 10
    Norton
    The most interesting thread I've read in quite a while.

My username is quite simple. A few years ago I got tired of changing usernames so I took a month or so to determine something I'd enjoy. Something unique that no one else would end up using.

Ookami (also spelled as Okami sometimes) is Japanese for wolf. My favorite animal. I also have interest in anime (who could have guessed that?), but more than that, an interest in the Japanese language and culture. Originally, I was going to translate it to German (my family's heritage is German - very common in Pennsylvania), however it seems wolf is wolf in German. I suppose when you think about it it makes sense that some words match being a Germanic language and all.

Now Creed is simply there because I follow my own ways, my own beliefs and no one else's. No real story to that. The total length of my name is also for a reason. I needed a username that fit 16 or less characters (mostly so I could use the name on Xbox Live - I don't like having different usernames at the same time).

14. TheMalwareMaster

TheMalwareMaster Level 19
    Trusted

Jan 4, 2016
    Europe
    Windows 10
    Default-Deny
    Mine is a good combination of words related to security. Without the article "The" I think it wouldn't sound that great. I used also the username "Alay" in the past somewhere else

15. Spawn

Spawn Administrator

Jan 8, 2011
  16. Der.Reisende

Der.Reisende Level 32
    Trusted AV Tester

Dec 27, 2014
    Tax Officer
    Germany
    Windows 10
    Norton
    Kinda agree, really awesome thread, thank you for opening it @ofbeautyandrage :)

I love travelling, so I decided to register with something related to it. I use Dreams+Visions [would love to get the & one, but that one was already registered] for Flickr (photography can express emotions, wishes, new ideas, tickle sbd. phantasies, I love to share my shots, but I can spend hours on watching those by others, too...), but I thought, this one would not fit here.
    So, that's it :)

17. Rishi

Rishi Level 19
    Trusted

Dec 3, 2015
    India
    Windows 10
    Webroot
    My nick is straightforward I guess, but I chose it for the qualities it represents. I like deep study and contemplation, working on something for hours for the sake of artistic perfection,learning about the past, artifacts and other esoteric subjects.

18. DJ Panda

DJ Panda Level 29

Aug 30, 2015
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Windows 10
    Emsisoft
    I used to have a youtube channel named JGamez. The actually username came from the first letter of my name J and with Gamez at the end :p

19. Spawn

Spawn Administrator

Jan 8, 2011
  20. BoraMurdar

BoraMurdar Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2012
    Doctor of medicine
    Serbia
    Windows 10
    Emsisoft
    Mine is nickname people used to call my grandfather in my hometown. Bora from Borivoje (common Slavic name) and Murdar roughly means "nasty". He was my life teacher, my third parent, and the reason why I became a doctor. He died last year in July. In that period I was thinking of changing my username as it constantly reminded me of that period, but I came up with the right choice at the end. :)