Advice Request How do I configure WD for maximum security?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LukeLovesSecurity

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Jul 28, 2017
I plan to use Windows' default security with some extra third part tools, however I haven't used it in years and I've heard its a lot different now. What should I enable or disable for maximum protection?

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Which version of Windows 10 are you currently operating?

FYI: Windows 10 SCU (Spring Creators Update) will bring some changes to Windows Defender Antivirus. Delayed due to recently discovered bug.

If you run Windows 10 Pro, you can use the Group Policy Editor (gpedit.msc) to lock-in the settings and prevent accidental deactivation of protection.

Other features of Windows Defender are limited to Enterprise and cannot be activated unless you are running a valid Windows 10 Enterprise license. No comment about the Education edition.

There was a tool posted on the forums about configuring WDA, but cannot find it.

Just to point out, do not be an idiot PC user. No protection can guarantee 100% prevention or detection, but can almost be achieved with layered security including backup.

LukeLovesSecurity

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Jul 28, 2017
Which version of Windows 10 are you currently operating?

FYI: Windows 10 SCU (Spring Creators Update) will bring some changes to Windows Defender Antivirus. Delayed due to recently discovered bug.

If you run Windows 10 Pro, you can use the Group Policy Editor (gpedit.msc) to lock-in the settings and prevent accidental deactivation of protection.

Other features of Windows Defender are limited to Enterprise and cannot be activated unless you are running a valid Windows 10 Enterprise license. No comment about the Education edition.

There was a tool posted on the forums about configuring WDA, but cannot find it.

Just to point out, do not be an idiot PC user. No protection can guarantee 100% prevention or detection, but can almost be achieved with layered security including backup.

I am using Windows 10 Home edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.