How do I stop unwanted/scareware pop-ups in the first place?

musicrab

Level 1
Thread author
Feb 27, 2017
Senn this so many times now “Your Windows computer is at Risk” Pop-up. I've seen all the threads about removing it but how you prevent it from happenning in the first place.

We're talking about it appearing on clean computers - with a working AV (ok, its not an AV problem); and browsers with zero extensions (seen with Chrome and Edge).

My theory - its some adware code invoked in adverts **NB the user does not click on the advert**
I don't believe they are dangerous - it is just a pop-up box advising that your computer is at risk. Close the browser and the pop-up goes. But it worries the hell out of some people.
Can ANYTHING detect these? Or is the **only** answer to use an advert blocker? Really surprised that browsers cannot handle these pop-ups.
Somebody with an explanation AND a fix which doesn't include installing advert blocket gets a beer from me... :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Hey @musicrab,
If you see these unwanted pop-ups on clean computer, it means that one of site that you're visiting is serving these malicious ads. So you either need to stop visiting that site (usually happens on sites with video content) or install an ad blocker.

Kuttz

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 9, 2015
Hey @musicrab,
If you see these Your Windows computer is at Risk pop-ups on clean computer, it means that one of site that you're visiting is serving these malicious ads. So you either need to stop visiting that site (usually happens on sites with video content) or install an ad blocker.

Probably he accidentally allowed notifications from a site that serves such popup ads.

musicrab

Level 1
Thread author
Feb 27, 2017
Hey @musicrab,
If you see these unwanted pop-ups on clean computer, it means that one of site that you're visiting is serving these malicious ads. So you either need to stop visiting that site (usually happens on sites with video content) or install an ad blocker.
But the sites I'm taking about are not unusual sites (BT UK, youtube...) It's either really easy for the ad writers to cause the pop-ups without the user clicking on them, or the parent website doesn't check the adverts properly.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.