Advice Request How do you back-up your files?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

How do you back-up your files?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

FrankS

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Dec 22, 2015
I manually back-up, encrypt the "needed" files and store them physically disconnected. I always make two copies. In case of an infection or corruption, I format and perform a clean install.
Nearly the same here. My needed files, setups and confidential data are stored on second partition of my system storage. Additionally I copied the content of my second partition to my external storage. Confidential files are encrypted with Steganos Safe.

DardiM

Level 26
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
May 14, 2016
I use Acronis True Image 2016 to make encrypted backups to an external USB3 HD (System + useful tools, and data separately).
In case of infection (that didn't occurs for several years) : system back-up restoration ( < 10 min)

LASER_oneXM

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 4, 2016
I'm synchronizing (using FreeFileSync) my data every 2 or 3 days on an external USB-drive (2.5 inch): then i unplug it.
Additionaly once a week i'm sychronizing every machine on 2 other external drives and store them in different places.
The result: i have 3 separate backup drives for/with personal data....
Every 4-6 weeks: i'm using Acronis image software (Acronis true Image free (Western Digital edition)) to make full system
images of my machines. Then i store this images on 3 external 3,5 inch HDDs.
I'm also using "O&O disk image 10.5" (paid version) to make images of my system drives.

DardiM

Level 26
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
May 14, 2016
I'm synchronizing (using FreeFileSync) my data every 2 or 3 days on an external USB-drive (2.5 inch): then i unplug it.
Additionaly once a week i'm sychronizing every machine on 2 other external drives and store them in different places.
The result: i have 3 separate backup drives for/with personal data....
Every 4-6 weeks: i'm using Acronis image software (Acronis true Image free (Western Digital edition)) to make full system
images of my machines. Then i store this images on 3 external 3,5 inch HDDs.
I'm also using "O&O disk image 10.5" (paid version) to make images of my system drives.
You forgot to write about the safety-deposit box where you put you externals drives ;)

broughie

Level 2
Verified
Sep 11, 2013
I sync my files every few days using synctoy on external hard drive ,(extremely simple to use and reliable) having lost files years ago when a backup prog failed.Financial and personal folders & files I encrypt with axcrypt & sync as such. I disk image every month or so with easeus todo and alternate with macrium freeware .

FrFc1908

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 28, 2016
I have all my important files backed up to an encrypted external hdd. for my machine I use Aomei One Key Recovery Professional. I voted for paid software , but I was one of the many lucky ones , to get this fabulous program free from their giveway the held a while back ;)

LASER_oneXM

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 4, 2016
You forgot to write about the safety-deposit box where you put you externals drives ;)

.. i stor all external backup drives in four different places in stable plastic boxes. The boxes are filled
with soft materials like soft plastic bags, polystyrene...., ......, .... i think i'm quite paranoid but i 've
never "lost" a backup drive ....so far.... :D

LASER_oneXM

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 4, 2016
  • USB Flash drive
  • OneDrive via browser (manual) instead of system sync (actually, I uninstall OneDrive from my system as you don't need it to use OneDrive manually)

i also wanted to use USB flash drives for backups. But i found the information on the internet that
USB flash drives have a much higher risk of losing data (all data or parts of stored data) than hard drives.
Therefore i decided only to use HDDs for backups: 2,5 inch drives are very fast/easy to use (USB 3.0, no external power supply needed)
and of course cheaper and much faster than average USB-sticks. The main disadvantage of HDDs: if they fall down then it's
(in most cases) over.....

H

hjlbx

i also wanted to use USB flash drives for backups. But i found the information on the internet that
USB flash drives have a much higher risk of losing data (all data or parts of stored data) than hard drives.
Therefore i decided only to use HDDs for backups: 2,5 inch drives are very fast/easy to use (USB 3.0, no external power supply needed)
and of course cheaper and much faster than average USB-sticks. The main disadvantage of HDDs: if they fall down then it's

I save very little data. Perhaps a word document here and there until I print it out and do whatever I need with it. I save no video, music, etc. That's why I can clean install OS without any concern of losing anything...

DardiM

Level 26
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
May 14, 2016
I think all you have described makes your personal data well "protected", if any problem occurs on your PC :)
It worth to be "paranoid", because nobody is 100 % free from been infected ;)

jelson

Level 2
Jun 14, 2011
Currently, I'm using SyncFolders to do my data backups (Note: I moved my user data off the system drive):
  • does versioning
  • create custom rule sets
  • it's free!
  • and a huge thing for me, it's portable!!

I regularly mirror all my data files to an extra HDD (USB 3 dock) and periodically I archive them to another HDD

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.