Advice Request How do you minimise email spam?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

How do you reduce email spam levels?

• I use SPF

• I use Dkim

• I have deployed Dmarc

• I rely on my hosting provider to catch spam

• I use spam filters on my email client

• I use Spam and Blacklist Databases

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wingman

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Feb 6, 2017
For the members of MT that use their own hosting/email provider ,do you deploy spf and/or dkim and DMARC(curious to learn the policy deployed) to reduce spam levels?

I personally have already deployed Dmarc on my domain with reject as policy.

Last edited:
W

Wave

I use Google Mail and the spam filter works perfectly fine for me so I do not need to do anything additional myself, I almost always never receive any spam into my main Inbox... I only find e-mails which I actually need there. However, if I go into my actual Spam folder, there'll be tons of course... The filter works well for me.

Then again, I only bother reading e-mails I am expecting. If you e-mail me and I wasn't expecting it then it simply won't be read.

Rolo

Level 18
Verified
Jun 14, 2015
I don't like spam filters: it just creates another inbox to check and risks non-delivery of legitimate e-mail.

I use gmail for my primary e-mail. I have it's spam filter disabled. I use it judiciously.

I use Microsoft mail for forums (which always get hacked) and anything I need an e-mail address for but don't care to receive messages normally. (I'll check it when I'm specifically looking for something, like a forum password reset that I triggered.) Microsoft's spam filter cannot be disabled and it is bad about false-positives, making it absolutely useless to me for a messaging platform.

I use harakirimail for everything else (like "give us your e-mail address to download") type stuff.

After years of doing it this way, I have never received spam on my gmail account; I'll happen to see occasional spam on Microsoft (from forums) along with false-positives.

Hence, I have none of the options checked.

Reactions: vemn and mal1

Wingman

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Feb 6, 2017
If you use one of the big players for email hosting like gmail then you have DMARC already enabled. So far it seems no-one is using a hosting provider and therefore use <emai>@<personal domain> ?

Reactions: vemn, Rolo and Wave
W

Wave

If you use one of the big players for email hosting like gmail then you have DMARC already enabled. So far it seems no-one is using a hosting provider and therefore use <emai>@<personal domain> ?
I've used a personal domain before and linked it with Zoho Mail. I'll be using one again in a couple months.

Reactions: vemn

Janl1992l

Level 14
Verified
Well-known
Feb 14, 2016
Hm i dont get any spam mails at all, lol. Have a protonmail account and for junk i use Blur(donottrackme) fake e-mails and delet them after.

Reactions: Wingman and vemn

Wingman

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Feb 6, 2017
Hm i dont get any spam mails at all, lol. Have a protonmail account and for junk i use Blur(donottrackme) fake e-mails and delet them after.

@Janl1992l Do you mask you credit card/phone number as well? The disposable emails are quite good for a free service

Last edited:

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Normally for me it would be filters and keywords and I also rely on the Gmail filter system.

Aura

Level 20
Verified
Jul 29, 2014
I use Gmail and let them handle the spam. And I don't use my e-mail address to sign-up on shady services/websites, nor do I post it publicly on websites where it can be scrapped.

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
Google is obviously doing its job. I use gmail to register everywhere and to test a few things and I have got 10 spam emails for the last 30 days.

Attachments

• capture_05132017_221700.jpg
    capture_05132017_221700.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 411

lobo001

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Jan 26, 2017
Aside from the spam filters, I use "unroll.me", not to receive massive mails of unwanted inscriptions !!

Reactions: Evjl's Rain
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.