Evjl's Rain

Level 40
Content Creator
Trusted
Malware Hunter
Verified
paid ones you only have to install a few apps while free ones, you have to combine more different apps to get an optimal level (for somebody)

like if you have kaspersky IS, you dont have to install anything else, applied for most users
free: avast with unchecky (enough for me with these 2), maybe an antiransomware like kaspersky antiransomware + bitdefender trafficlight/avira browser safety + (an anti-exploit like makwarebytes) + windows firewall => may result in slower performance

edit: logethica has a great great free configuration but it's an annoying setup for most people and we may not have enough patience and resources to handle all those :rolleyes:
I'm a gamer, I dont sacrifice any of my cpu or ram for overkill security
 
I use Kaspersky 2017, WinAntiRansom, Malwarebytes Pro and AppGuard then Kaspersky VPN all-of-which are paid. I just do not feel secure enough using free software, I know it's probably the placebo affect.
Kaspersky doesn't really have a vpn, they just use hotspotshield.

I can give you many examples that "Free configurations are better than Paid configurations"
Even I am believing that a "the free suite" gives the best protection..but most people choose to pay and get infected over & over again.
I don't believe that is always true. If you get a very well protected computer with free software and compare it to someone just using norton or McAfee of course the free version will be better. But if I add things like a vpn, hitmanpro alert, etc, the paid computer is just as if not more secure IMO. But that's just my opinion, not saying you're wrong. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Tyrizian

Level 1
About 95% of all the infected machines that I've worked on, were using some form of paid protection. The other 5% that were infected were using free based protection.

But, this is only the case when paid consumers are using one single form of protection, versus a free security setup that has multiple layers of protection.

I believe that if the paid protections were bundled with something beside it, the infection rates would be less frequent.
 
Last edited:

DJ Panda

Level 29
Verified
paid ones you only have to install a few apps while free ones, you have to combine more different apps to get an optimal level (for somebody)

like if you have kaspersky IS, you dont have to install anything else, applied for most users
free: avast with unchecky (enough for me with these 2), maybe an antiransomware like kaspersky antiransomware + bitdefender trafficlight/avira browser safety + (an anti-exploit like makwarebytes) + windows firewall => may result in slower performance

edit: logethica has a great great free configuration but it's an annoying setup for most people and we may not have enough patience and resources to handle all those :rolleyes:
I'm a gamer, I dont sacrifice any of my cpu or ram for overkill security
I disagree a little with you. Free AV software like Avast can be tweaked so it can be even better than paid products like Kaspersky. Jack's Avast Maximum Protection guide for Avast also applies for the free version and it seems to detect anything you throw at it. Just have Avast, Zemana for scanning, and the other default protection Windows offers and you're set. :)
 
About 95% of all the infected machines that I've worked on, were using some form of paid protection. The other 5% that were infected were using free based protection.

But, this is only the case when paid consumers are using one single form of protection, versus a free security setup that has multiple layers of protection.

I believe that if the paid protections were bundled with something beside it, the infection rates would be less frequent.
I agree with you, thanks for your thoughts!
 

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Content Creator
Trusted
Verified
You can craft an all-freeware layered security config that is every bit the equal of an all-paid layered security config.
Correct, it will boil down to the users knowledge level, a user well educated in protection software can piece together a very solid config weather it
be paid or free. I can craft a very solid config quite easily using the paid or free models, as can most of the Advanced users here.
This would make a very fun in-house competition ;)
 
Last edited:

Evjl's Rain

Level 40
Content Creator
Trusted
Malware Hunter
Verified
I disagree a little with you. Free AV software like Avast can be tweaked so it can be even better than paid products like Kaspersky. Jack's Avast Maximum Protection guide for Avast also applies for the free version and it seems to detect anything you throw at it. Just have Avast, Zemana for scanning, and the other default protection Windows offers and you're set. :)
kaspersky can also be fully tweaked as well but usually people just change 2 or 3 settings and leave everything else default. I think after fully tweaked, kaspersky is better as the defauly settings are enough to protect user. even malwares can pass kaspersky, it still has application control to restrict (low retricted) malware spreading and injection to the system, so the system would be likely to be clean. if we put unknown apps into highly restricted or untrusted groups, they are likely to be useless but petya may bypass it
for avast we have to tweak tons of things

by the way, both are really good, we cant compare exactly which one is better. I use avast for all other PCs because avast is lighter and uses less ram with tweaked settings while I use KIS 2017 for my main Laptop with slightly tweaked settings, I notice a lot faster boot time
 

NekoHr

Level 3
Paid and free can basically offer same amount of security (if setup right way).

If you take same suite, lets say Avast, it has same base options in free and paid and can be set in same way. What you get extra in paid are additional "value added" programs that may be used to enhance security but also don't need to or can be replaced by other free stuff.

On the other hand more additional software equals larger attack surface (check stories about vulnerabilities in Avast, Trendmicro, Symantec... Tavis Ormandy had a ran at these not long ago).
 
L

LabZero

Many paid solutions are ready to use and some users think they are safe because they believe that a paid product is better of free one.
I agree that there are great paid products that reasonably cover many of the security areas.
But if I'm an advanced user, I can use for example:

- Avast Free Hardened Mode Agressive [ON].
- Zemana Antimaware Free Edition
- Sandboxie
- uBlock Origin and Noscript extensions
- GlassWire Network Monitor Free
- Macrium Reflect Free as good backup plan.
- ...

I am reasonably safe without spending $.
 

CMLew

Level 23
Verified
Some paid vs free software is due to addition of features. E.g. Zemana/ MBAM. Free version offer OD scanning. Paid version includes real-time monitoring which is not included in the free.

1) First question is do you need that feature?

Both Free and paid Version of any security software, needs tweaking/ adjusting config to suite your preference.

2) Next question is can you do it? Can you configure it on your own?

Some people are IT Noobs, they just install and forget at default. Some are security geeks like forumers here; they adjust the settings to suit their taste.

3) Last question is of course, can you afford to pay for the security software?
 

Logethica

Level 12
That's a very broad question that can't have one definite answer. It all depends on the software being used; the money aspect has nothing to do with the quality of a product.
@Logethica has a nice config with almost all free security software that would be worth taking a looking at. Here's the link: PC: SECURE - Logethica's Free Security Configuration
Thanks @Cohen :)
I have never paid for security software,and have never had my system infected.
I do not see the logic in spending money unnecessarily...
Despite my not working in the IT field,I have been asked to cleanup a fair few infected systems,and every one had paid security software on it..
The problem is that novices wrongly think that by paying for security they have less chance of getting infected.

edit: logethica has a great great free configuration but it's an annoying setup for most people and we may not have enough patience and resources to handle all those :rolleyes:
I'm a gamer, I dont sacrifice any of my cpu or ram for overkill security
Yes,my set up is not one that I would recommend for a novice as it would be a nightmare for them to configure..:p
I have so much security software because I enjoy making them work side-by-side,not because I feel at risk..

I also find it surprising that many people have a system far greater than my old 2Gb RAM laptop yet could not run half of my config without problems.I guess that there must be a lot of people that have so much bloatware and unneeded services running,and rather than addressing these issues they just ditch their machine and buy a more powerful one,which IMO is throwing money away.
IMO the first thing one should do with a laptop/PC is to strip away what isn't needed before adding extra software.this would make life so much easier in the long-term.
After I had cleaned up the novices PC's..for those that had zero knowledge I added uBlock Origin,BD trafficlight,a free AV,and Sandboxie..
and for those with a little more knowledge I added VoodooShield free as well.
None of them have been infected since and none of them use paid software anymore.