Battle How does a free security config compare to a paid one?

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
I have so much security software because I enjoy making them work side-by-side,not because I feel at risk..

Ah. I am put off by the "get rid of this, get rid of that" insistence of many. I have come to enjoy third-party software like a stamp collector enjoys stamps. I don't think people should aim for the smallest possible software configuration unless they want to or are obliged to by conflicts or by scarcity of RAM, processing, and/or storage.

The problem is that novices wrongly think that by paying for security they have less chance of getting infected.

I think complacency is the name of the problem. I think AV companies contribute to this with advertising hype that says "Go with us and you're locked down-safe." It appears we need user education that emphasizes more that some behaviors are never safe.

I also find it surprising that many people have a system far greater than my old 2Gb RAM laptop yet could not run half of my config without problems.I guess that there must be a lot of people that have so much bloatware and unneeded services running,and rather than addressing these issues they just ditch their machine and buy a more powerful one,which IMO is throwing money away.

Did you follow a scheme like Black Viper's for turning off services?

Logethica

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Ah. I am put off by the "get rid of this, get rid of that" insistence of many. I have come to enjoy third-party software like a stamp collector enjoys stamps. I don't think people should aim for the smallest possible software configuration unless they want to or are obliged to by conflicts or by scarcity of RAM, processing, and/or storage.
I agree @conceptualclarity.
I respect those that try to help protect others with their suggestions for security software,but it seems like many try instead to have others "clone" their own configuration,and as a result one is forced into having to find a way to politely decline those recommendations.
IMO user-safety should be the only motive when recommending security software.
For me the "too much", "too little", "use product A rather than B,as it's my personal favourite" recommendations are unhelpful,and place the recipient of the advice in an uncomfortable position that is not necessary.
I think complacency is the name of the problem. I think AV companies contribute to this with advertising hype that says "Go with us and you're locked down-safe." It appears we need user education that emphasizes more that some behaviors are never safe.
I completely agree.
Did you follow a scheme like Black Viper's for turning off services?
No,I began through guesswork and trial and error.
Due to my being anti-M$ telemetry I started by killing services specifically related to feedback.This gave me an interest in finding out what other services could be killed.
I opened the application control section of ZoneAlarm Firewall and wrote down all of the M$/Windows services,and then researched which ones were needed and which were not.
For example,I was able to kill the M$ "cleanup" and "defrag" services due to my using CCleaner & Auslogics Defrag instead.

JHomes

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Jul 7, 2016
I use both free and paid programs. Some programs have features not available in the free version. An example is RollBack Rx; the free version doesn't have the task scheduler enabled nor do you get the remote management tool. Might not be a big deal for some, but when my wife is spamming my WhatsApp with "MY PC IS BROKEN AF" I like stuff like the remote management tool.

Compare the features and see what you need. If you can do without features in the paid version I'd think it's safe to skip.

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
I think the only real edge of security companies with paid products is money. Depending on the company's specific environment and goal, more money = more opportunities, more research, more innovation, more talents, more infrastructure, etc.

Kaspersky, for example, is good in terms of infrastructure, research, and innovation.

But the question is (already asked by some): why spend on paid security products, when you can install one or several free ones that might even surpass the paid ones?

For me, it really depends on the person. Some like all-free, while some like all-paid, while some choose mixed.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
About 95% of all the infected machines that I've worked on, were using some form of paid protection. The other 5% that were infected were using free based protection.
These stats are a bit misleading as the majority of average users buy a PC with some form of paid product trial included then when the trial is up they purchase it.However these stats don't allow for operator error which probably accounts for at least 90% of all infections.

Most free and paid products are ready to go out of the box but the average user doesn't know or is not willing to learn how to maximize their protection.In fact the majority probably disregard notifications and warnings and just click away.
The only way to judge a security configuration is to try both free and paid combinations until you find what works best for you.Of course what you are able to afford also.

There are free Av's and Firewalls that provide the same protection as the paid versions.Paid solutions might offer more tools but the protection factor is the same depending on the program.

There are paid solutions that are better than other paid solutions and free solutions and there are free solutions that are arguably better than paid solutions.

You can build a solid config with just free products which includes an AV,Firewall(including Windows Firewall)on demand scanners,sandbox,Virtual Machine,privacy & optimization,etc.

To answer your question "How does a free security config compare to a paid one?" All I can say is one costs money and the other doesn't .

sunrise

Level 2
Verified
Aug 2, 2014
LukeNukesEm
Free : Combination of Qihoo 360 TSE + Comodo Firewall
Qihoo 360 TSE

- Bitdefender/& Avira engine on
- Enable PUP detection
- Enable ransomware protection
- Enable antikeylogger + webcam blocker
- Enable monitor all files

Comodo firewall
- Enable autosandbox
- Disable Defense + (Qihoo HIPS will take care of it)
- Under Autosandbox > open all run virtually > set all origin to run virtually
- Enable Viruscope
- Set Firewall to custom (It will ask you for each stuff which try to connect)

The above settings are based on cruelsister setting

Paid :
Kaspersky

How to setup Kaspersky Internet Security 2016 for Maximum Protection (Guide)

Good luck trying to get infected with the above. :cool:

FrFc1908

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 28, 2016
what it all came down to is trial and error , atleast for me it was. I have had many paid security products ( bullguard - AVG - Norton - Kaspersky -Norman and more ) allmost NONE is worth the money. as for example AVG no need to get the paid products like AVG ultimate ( Internet Security plus AVG PcTune up ) the only thing you get extra is an outbound firewall , the rest is the same as in the free version. My Norton license still has 170 plus days on it , but I do not like the program at all : to heavy on resources , bloatware added ( disk cleaner - defrag - regcleaner ) plus updating the database has to be done mannualy most of the time. the best way is to test out the softs you and your machine do like , also it's important makes you the most comfortable and is understandable for you as a person : what workes for person a , does not mean it works the same for you! some softs need a higher level of understanding and knowledge like appguard , comodo , NVT erp and more. My current setup works for and guess what.... all the softs I use are free :)

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
I think the idea here is not to suggest a myriad of free and paid setups but the difference between free and paid security setups.
Both have good choices and both have not so good choices.It is really going to all boil down to the individual user and his or her needs as well as the machine it is going to be installed on and what you can afford.

L

Lucent Warrior

I think the idea here is not to suggest a myriad of free and paid setups but the difference between free and paid security setups.
Both have good choices and both have not so good choices.It is really going to all boil down to the individual user and his or her needs as well as the machine it is going to be installed on and what you can afford.
This right here pretty much says it all. I would add, that neither the paid or free version is going to protect the user with bad computer habits. There is literally nothing on the market that protects the users from themselves. Neither paid nor free will be 100% bullet proof even if you do have the knowledge to be safe. Have a good back up or two of your system on hand, make regular back ups of your personal files, be diligent about exposing too much of your very personal information on the system and especially online, keep the system and applications up to date and run regular scans... In the military, we would call this "Preventive Maintenance". Balance knowledge with security, and a user could be fine with either paid or free.

LukeNukesEm

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Sep 14, 2016
What's the determining factor that shows that paid software is better than free or open-source software? (ex: When you fill fuel in your car, do you use Regular or Premium?)
You just need too think a lot more. If you care you need to do research on every single program, and because its free it'll only do a few things or less. Because I am willing to pay I have KIS, HMPA, and purevpn. I might get premium zemana and voodoo shield. Notice how I don't have to do too much research for what I am getting. For free solutions I'll need something ad-free, doesn't sell your data, is good at what it does, etc. Paid security isn't necessary more secure, but it is better in the sense you know they won't sell your data, have ads, won't need so many programs, etc.

DardiM

Level 26
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
May 14, 2016
Free AV = Good Detection, Basic Features, Buggy, Bundled With Junk, Nags You To Upgrade.
Paid AV = Has More Features, Reacts Faster To New Threats, Generally a Better Looking GUI/Interface, Better Customer Support (Telephone Support)

Remember: If it's free then you're the product.
I agree !

Companies that make AV or other Security tools are not making them for pure kindness, the developers have to be paid (and not only them).
So there may always be a gain of money behind the "free" (ads, paid version near free version, other products, etc)

About detection / protection : some paid products can be better, equal, or less efficient, compared to "free" products, it could depend on a lot of parameters, and I'm not sure it is always the same answer at the time the question is asked.

Last edited:

CMLew

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
You just need too think a lot more. If you care you need to do research on every single program, and because its free it'll only do a few things or less. Because I am willing to pay I have KIS, HMPA, and purevpn. I might get premium zemana and voodoo shield. Notice how I don't have to do too much research for what I am getting. For free solutions I'll need something ad-free, doesn't sell your data, is good at what it does, etc. Paid security isn't necessary more secure, but it is better in the sense you know they won't sell your data, have ads, won't need so many programs, etc.

Interesting thoughts here. How would you know Avast Free would sell your data, ads, etc and Avast premium won't ?
Same goes to Bitdefender Free vs Pro, Avira Free vs Pro,

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Guys it is a case to case basis.

Many free version nowadays are no longer restricting the protection, actually continuously expanding.

An example is Avast and AVG where both already incorporate secondary features as a plan B when traditional techniques fail to do so. (Way back before where indeed limited)

But no matter it is a free or paid, people should consider the efficiency and performance. Yes free products may perform better however in other round of aspects.

Of course being practical is not a bad idea but do not take as argument where free version is better cause everything may lead to unending conclusion.

Results are varies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.