How does Ablock Plus, UBlock, and other adblock extensions/software work?

8-Bit Ghetto

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Mar 16, 2016
How does Ablock Plus, UBlock, and other adblock extensions/software work? And how can they blocked all ads display on the websites? And It would be helpful if you guys can post a picture or something that will illustrate it.

A

Alkajak

How it works:

Adblock Plus
uBlock

Adblock.JPG

Good luck.

Reactions: Deleted member 2913

Morvotron

Level 7
Verified
Mar 24, 2015
I guess it scans the website looking for Google Analytics links, and pretty much all advertising companies. Every ad is linked to the host web so it can be displayed. I'm guessing it has all this hosts included on its database.

Now i really do not know if adblockers include some kind of heuristic for unknown hosts.

Reactions: Deleted member 2913
D

Deleted member 178

There is several ways of doing it:

- Blocking the links , the adblocker does it by analyzing the page and comparing the present links to its database. Most addons adblocker does this way, it is why you may have empty boxes.

- Some others (like Adguard for Desktop) also analyze the page's code before it is loaded , and hide/remove entirely the area dedicated to the ads.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Usually they will check from numerous filters gathered from numerous sources where how an advertisement behaves on the page so that it will block and create an adjusted page to save space from those advertisement elements.

Reactions: 8-Bit Ghetto

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.