Advice Request How does Kaspersky licensing works regarding activation limit when reformatting/changing device often ?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

IkariGradius

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Jan 17, 2019
So it's been a while since I've used Kaspersky, and i was wondering how their licensing work, especially regarding activation/deactivation when reformatting the PC/phone or changing device ?

Does Kaspersky works like ESET, Norton or Emsisoft where we can manage license activation directly online with virtually no activation limit, or is it like Gdata or HitmanPro where there is no way of managing or deactivating the product, and once activated it counts as 1 license used ?

I'm asking as I'm thinking about purchasing Kaspersky Total Security, but I'm worried i might encounter problems as I tend to reformat my computer a lot and change my smartphone several times a year. So purchasing a 10 devices 2 years license would mean I'd reformat/change device a lot (30, 40... maybe even 50 times) ?

Does anyone here have experience regarding Kaspersky and if their licensing works well for people who reformat a lot ?

Thanks a lot

Huchim

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Oct 17, 2015
If you buy your license in Kaspersky website and you add it to mykaspersky portal you can disable the license on every device the times you want as Emsisoft, but I have not tried doing more than 5 activations on the same day (3 devices license here)

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
In order to avoid activation issues after reinstalling Windows, you need to have an officially purchased license, not one from ebay etc. If you use an ebay licence, and you reformat your hard disk, you might not be able to activate. It's unpredictable exactly how many activations an ebay license will give you.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.